Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Aug 21, 2004, 10:45 PM   #31

lawrencew wrote:
Quote:
EffZeeOne wrote:
Quote:
Rant....
...YAWN...

...and the horse just keeps getting pounded into dust....

...and I'm getting acused of ranting?

So...now your main purpose in keeping this topic going is to help stop people from buying the FZ20, which hasn't even been released yet so we have no idea if it will do the same thing under these rather specific circumstances?I stand corrected -- you're not ranting, you're crusading.

Is there a reason why you still own this camera? If I thought somethingI purchased was so flawed, I would have either returned it or resold it on Ebay by now.

I just looked through my FZ1 manual again, and nowhere in there does it specifically state that the FZ1 will NOT toast my bagel in the morning! Hey, Panasonic Bob, where's the FZ1 Breakfast Upgrade so I can fix this lousey, flawed camera? I definitely need to start warning folks away from the FZ3, because it probably doesn't cook breakfast either!!

--------------------

Chris
http://www.FZ-Club.com

EffZeeOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 21, 2004, 11:18 PM   #32

Wow, I thought this dog was put to bed long ago.

Hey, you know what? I'd like this flaw fixed, but I realize

it's out of my control

(everyone else was yelling - I figured it must be inherent to this topic)

Now, on the one hand, I truly do not understand the tendency here, by some,to demean people who would like to have thisproblem fixed, by those who care nothing about the flaw.Sometimes it comes across asverymean spirited (and narrow minded, if I may say so - just because something's not a problem for me doesn't diminish its validity for someone else).

On the other hand, to you who want it fixed (and, hey, I'd love to have it fixed - I have an external flash, too, and it is a stupid bug),relax and move on. After all, unlesswe have direct access to the powers at Panasonic, I doubt we'll have this flaw fixed, and it's just not worth losing sleep over something you can't control. I understand your angst, but griping (and that's not a put-down) won't help, and will just stress you out.

Consider this - other than that one feature, we all pretty much agree this is the best camera one can get in 2004, in this price range (or, actually, anywhere near it). So let's stay friends.

BTW, I WAS in Cambodia in 1968, before I wasn't. Or was I? :-)

cageyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 22, 2004, 4:47 AM   #33

Klaas wrote:
Quote:
SO USE IT IN APERTURE PRIORITY MODE

Because I don't want to take all my pictures at 1/60th of second. Duh!
lawrencew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 22, 2004, 4:51 AM   #34

EffZeeOne wrote:
Quote:
So...now your main purpose in keeping this topic going is to help stop people from buying the FZ20, which hasn't even been released yet so we have no idea if it will do the same thing under these rather specific circumstances?I stand corrected -- you're not ranting, you're crusading.

Is there a reason why you still own this camera? If I thought somethingI purchased was so flawed, I would have either returned it or resold it on Ebay by now.
What is so wrong with people wanting an easily rectifiable flaw in the camera design fixed?

The FZ10 is a great camera. But it isn't perfect. I love it in spite of its flaws. But I dont see why I shouldnt still press for it to be improved.

And from the FZ20 manual it appears to function in the same way.

Anyone who takes a serious amount of flash photo ought to be aware of this problem.

Or is this forum only for people who blindly heep praise on the FZ cameras and everyone else must be forced out?

Old Aug 22, 2004, 8:38 AM   #35

lawrencew wrote:
Quote:
Because I don't want to take all my pictures at 1/60th of second. Duh!

All SLR cameras I've owned synchronised flash at 1/60th of a second. As long as you keep your aperture at F4 or smaller there is no problem with ambient light or moving subjects.
Klaas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 22, 2004, 9:49 AM   #36

Klaas wrote:
Quote:
All SLR cameras I've owned synchronised flash at 1/60th of a second.
And all the SLR cameras I have owned are capable of synchronising the flash to OTHER speeds too.... Like faster and slower than 1/60th

If photography required one fixed speed life would be much simpler - but it doesn't...
Old Aug 22, 2004, 10:10 AM   #37

lawrencew wrote:
Quote:
And all the SLR cameras I have owned are capable of synchronising the flash to OTHER speeds too.... Like faster and slower than 1/60th

If photography required one fixed speed life would be much simpler - but it doesn't...
If you use 1/60th combined with a small aperture ambient light doesn't interfere with your exposure so the exposure time is restricted to the time the flash takes to fire.

I would also like to see the EVF brighten up when (and only when) an external flash is attached to the FZ10 so I could work in full manual mode but I don't think that's going to happen. This subject has been discussed numerous times, maybe we can let it rest now?
Klaas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 22, 2004, 11:30 AM   #38

Quote:
What is so wrong with people wanting an easily rectifiable flaw in the camera design fixed?
Nothing...but why don't we first let it be categorized as a flaw and wait for Panasonic to admit it's an "easily rectifiable flaw" since they're the ones who made the camera, so we're sort of dependent on what they think is "easily rectifiable". I would guess that it is NOT "easily rectifiable" or they would've fixed it, probably before it was ever released. I have also seen it stated here numerous times by Panasonic Bob that this is not considered a flaw, which is probably why it wasn't "fixed" before release.
Quote:
The FZ10 is a great camera. But it isn't perfect. I love it in spite of its flaws. But I dont see why I shouldnt still press for it to be improved.
There's nothing wrong with you wanting something "fixed", but you have to understand that the FZ10 design and "repair" (if/when necessary) doesn't revolve around just your opinion, preferences, desires, or perspective. If you're posting it over and over and over in hopes to get a group of concerned owners together to show Panasonic the error of their ways, it's just not going to happen. Even if every forum member at Steve's wrote to Panasonic, it probably would only representless than1% of their customer base worldwide. All you're doing is annoying the rest of the forum who, quite frankly, are obviously growing weary of the topic. It's pretty bad when even people who AGREE with you want the topic dropped because they're bored of it.
Quote:
And from the FZ20 manual it appears to function in the same way. Anyone who takes a serious amount of flash photo ought to be aware of this problem.
Why would Panasonic mentioning "fixing" a "flaw" in the FZ20 manual when they do not consider it to be a flaw? Whether it's been changed or not, I don't think they're going to say, "Oh, yeah...we fixed that EVF darkening thing" in the list of specs on their website.

I would say about 95% of my photos are taken with the flash...the FZ1 onboard flash. Do I care about this FZ10 "problem"? Sure I did. I'm glad that folks here discovered it and mentioned it...ONCE OR TWICE. On the 100th time of seeing a post about this, I admit it -- I just don't care anymore, and I don't think even FZ10 owners care any more. Again, YOU feel it's a problem, others (including Panasonic) don't, and I would bet there are quite a few FZ10 owners who don't even know what you're talking about because they just don't use the FZ10 under those specific circumstances.

Quote:
Or is this forum only for people who blindly heep praise on the FZ cameras and everyone else must be forced out?
Nice try -- quit trying to make it sound like I'm telling you to leave the forums!I was merely questioning why you still own a camera that you feel is so badly flawed, and most of your posts seem to be on this topic or other topics about things that are wrong with the FZ10. This isn't my forum -- I don't say who stays or goes. I've just never understood "love-hate" relationships, which is something you obviously have with your FZ10 and Panasonic.

Anyway....

I'm done. You obviously only want to view things from your own perspective, which is okay...not very good for making online friends, but....whatever floats your boat. I'm moving on to other topics, as this one still smells rip of badly beaten dead horse.

---------------

Chris
www.FZ-Club.com
EffZeeOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 22, 2004, 12:29 PM   #39

I only responded because effzeeone started shouting about it.

I let it rest a long time ago until he bought up the subject again in a way that was clearly deliberatly trying to force a response, which I fell for.

I will give up discussing the hope of any firmware correction for the FZ10.

But I wont give up pointing it out as one of the negatives of the FZ10 (and likely FZ15/20) if anyone asks for opinion. All round, the FZ flash capability is one of its biggest weaknesses.
Old Aug 22, 2004, 12:34 PM   #40

EffZeeOne wrote:
Quote:
quit trying to make it sound like I'm telling you to leave the forums!I was merely questioning why you still own a camera that you feel is so badly flawed, and most of your posts seem to be on this topic or other topics about things that are wrong with the FZ10.
I don't feel the FZ10 is badly flawed. Just that this is a flaw, which I think could be rectified.

And Ipost on plenty of other topics too.