Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Jul 31, 2004, 12:33 AM   #11

tacticalnuke wrote:
Quote:
Did you run the batteries in parallel or in series?* That'll make a big difference.* Thin wire isn't the problem, but type of wire can be.* If there is a very high resistance, you'll have a really low current, which may be why you can't work all the camera functions.
In series, to add the voltages. The batteries are nominally 1.2V but when fully charged are 1.3V. That should give 7.8V. When I measured the output of the AC adaptor it was about 8.7V, so maybe the label on the side of the camera is right after all (the one that says 8.4V). I was assuming it would be happy with 7.2V. Others have claimed success, at least with the FZ1.

The resistance of the wire is low, but multimeters use very low current for such a test. At high current the resistance will be higher. I just don't know how high for any given type of wire. I'll admit it's thin wire I used, simply because it was lying around. When I get a chance, I'll try speaker cable.
anomaly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 31, 2004, 12:39 AM   #12

V=IR

Voltage, Current (in amps), and Resistance (in Ohms)

More current doesn't necessarily mean more resistance. First off, you can't really "change" current. You can change resistance, and voltage (as the battery runs down) but current "reacts" to these two.

So, a thicker speaker wire will mean more resistance, and, since very little voltage change (and none across the battery) you'll have less current, and the batteries will last longer. But, since you can't even run the camera, it doesn't matter if the batteries last longer.

tacticalnuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 31, 2004, 8:21 AM   #13

Maybe I am missing the point but if you want an External Battery pack, this is what I use.

http://www.photoalley.com/webapp/wcs...ductId=9621132

I have taken a 1000 pictures a day with it and it still showed 1/2 charge. It also comes with a 12 volt charger.
The only problem is that since it plugs into the AC adapter plug, the cameras auto shutoff feature does not work.
genece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 31, 2004, 9:48 PM   #14

The DPS-9000 is looking better and better. I'm going on a trip in only a few days, so I've left my run a bit too late. That is, unless anyone knows a vendor of this device in Australia. No? I thought not.

I'll just have to keep soldering!
anomaly is offline   Reply With Quote