Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Jul 30, 2004, 11:23 AM   #1

I was shooting with a different f settings and the camera just crashed on me... i have to take out the battery to reset it.
it happens a few times already
is it normal?
dachshund is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 30, 2004, 12:08 PM   #2

You didn't say what kind of camera, but that does not matter.

That is NOT normal for ANY camera. Under warranty??? -- Return it!!
m.achure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 30, 2004, 12:09 PM   #3

opsss
sorry, read too many stuff about fz-10, then i forgot that it's not a fz-10 forum... it's panasonic forum..
my apology...
:O
Old Jul 30, 2004, 12:17 PM   #4

dachshund wrote:
Quote:
I was shooting with a different f settings and the camera just crashed on me... i have to take out the battery to reset it.
it happens a few times already
is it normal?

That happened to me the first time a few days ago with my FZ10. I have had the camera since 1/04. I was shooting in manual mode and suddenly everything locked up - I couldn't even turn off the camera. Removing the battery for a few minutes fixed it and it hasn't happened again. I had the same thing happen with my previous digital camera, a Nikon Coolpix 800, a few times. I'm not too worried about it, unless it starts to happen often. It's a little computer in there with software and computers sometimes crash. We have 3 cell phones and they have all crashed at one time or the other - removing the battery and putting it back in forced a "reboot" as with the camera and everything was fine again.
Clint751 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 30, 2004, 10:03 PM   #5

thx
at least i know im not alone in this
Old Jul 30, 2004, 11:49 PM   #6

Clint751 wrote:
Quote:
It's a little computer in there with software and computers sometimes crash. We have 3 cell phones and they have all crashed at one time or the other - removing the battery and putting it back in forced a "reboot" as with the camera and everything was fine again.
As a professional computer software developer it pains me that the general public (yourself included) now accepts that computerised devices simply drop dead as a more or less normal (or at least unavoidable) part of their operation. While the public accepts this defective behaviour there will be no progress, as the only way manufacturers will get the hint is if it costs them cold hard money. If my phone or camera crashed, I would demand warranty repair. I already have a crash-free computer as I do not use Windows.
anomaly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 31, 2004, 1:32 AM   #7

anomaly wrote:
Quote:
Clint751 wrote:
Quote:
It's a little computer in there with software and computers sometimes crash. We have 3 cell phones and they have all crashed at one time or the other - removing the battery and putting it back in forced a "reboot" as with the camera and everything was fine again.
As a professional computer software developer it pains me that the general public (yourself included) now accepts that computerised devices simply drop dead as a more or less normal (or at least unavoidable) part of their operation. While the public accepts this defective behaviour there will be no progress, as the only way manufacturers will get the hint is if it costs them cold hard money. If my phone or camera crashed, I would demand warranty repair. I already have a crash-free computer as I do not use Windows.
I have been in the computer business many years and I agree the days of crashing are over. If something crashes on me, it gets fixed immediately or it goes. I am running Win 2K and I do not crash. My motto is KIS. For those that do not know KIS means Keep It Simple. Load software you need not what is offered free or enticing. I noticed my first few days with the Fluzi I thought the camera froze in manual mode. I now know that there are certain F-stops and Speeds combination although logically correct, are non functional. If your camera is not working properly do not life with it send it in with a detailed report. The instant something seems to be working incorrectly STOP. Take a breath. Examine but do not change any of the settings. Check the book for unsupported setting in manual mode. If you have not done anything incorrect, document all the settings and send it off fro repair.
playlong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 31, 2004, 3:13 AM   #8

I think the FZ10 can crash itself when the battery power is real low and you still try to do something that consumes lots of battery. I can always repeat the crash (especially in low light condition) by doing burst shots or c-AF with zoom in/out when the battery is almost flat. When my FZ10 crashed the menu just freezes but the screen is still going, the camera then refuses all buttons input (even the power switch). I have to remove the battery to reboot the camera in order to unfreeze it.

I am pretty sure that it is the battery problem since I can always repeat the crash when the battery is almost flat. If the battery is full then the camera never crashed. I have got a backup battery so I can test the full/low battery condition at the same time.

akirabbq is offline   Reply With Quote