Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Oct 25, 2002, 1:25 PM   #11

I have an Olympus C2100UZ and find it very satisfactory. For most purposes I think there probably isn't much to choose between it and this new Panasonic DMC FZ1. But I do find the long Olympus lens barrel a bit cumbersome - and the Panasonic looks more compact and better balanced.

I don't know how the Leica-designed lens in the Panasonic compares with the Olympus C2100UZ lens. In general, I think that it's very much a matter of how strict the lens manufacturer's quality control is. The stricter it is, the more confident you can be that your camera will have a good lens. Where quality control's less rigid, it may be more a matter of luck.

Given the choice between more megapixels and the certainty that I'm getting a first-rate lens, I'd go for the first-rate lens.

Apropos Canon lenses, I had, years ago, a Leica IIIf with a Leitz lens (I forget which one, but it was considered a lot better than the standard 3.5 Elmar), and a Canon 35mm camera with a Canon f2.0 lens. Both had the same lens thread. The Canon lens gave better resolution. After I discovered that I always used the Canon lens in the Leica.
Herb is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 26, 2002, 3:30 AM   #12
lg

I think we should wait until Steve reviews it, and compare the quality of the test pictures before jumping to any conclusions.
lg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2002, 12:34 AM   #13

If there is anything substantive to "hold against" the Panasonic, it's the "designed for outdoor use" issue.

F16? F22?

No. I agree. Let's see the reviews. The lack of a hot shoe, though, is a killer in my book.

Damien*
Damien* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2002, 5:21 PM   #14

I'm still trying to find a decent review on this camera. I did find some example pictures (text in Japanese) I'm no expert, but they look good to me. Hand held ?

http://www.watch.impress.co.jp/pc/do...010/yamada.htm
sfw59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2002, 7:15 AM   #15

Default New Images for FZ1

Hi,
here some pictures from the new Panasonic FZ1
http://www.pbase.com/richtrav/fz1pics
@steve
can you please test this camera asap?? All the picture on the net shows a good result, but i wait for your test.
Thank a lot.
meisenkaiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2003, 4:49 PM   #16

That is really a very sweet lens on that camera.
Having said that,...
Quote:
2. Quality of lens - Leica vs Olympus- funny even to compare
...most people who care about stuff like that will agree that the leica lens lineage has not been the same since Dr. Verveer's departure from Leica in the late 80's. I would be hard pressed to compare the results from a leica lens against that of an oly at such resolution.
It is nevertheless a great lens spec. Hopefully more makers will take note and follow the example set.
geof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15, 2003, 12:28 PM   #17

Default Definitely not for pro

2 megapixels, no hot shoe, no mention of aperture range (I hope this is not one of those electronic aperture using filter to 'close down' the aperture). So, my personal feelings are that this is strictly a beginner's camera and it's the 12x optical zoom with image stabilization that's going to sell it for that group. Still have to wait and see the final specs...

Not sure if there's a 3+ mp version in the works. Whether it'll be even introduced might depend on the reception this one receives from consumers & dealers.
solo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4, 2003, 9:22 AM   #18

Default Panasonic FZ1

I saw the first sample pictures in October 2002, taken by Yamada at the Photokina in Cologne:

http://www.watch.impress.co.jp/pc/do...010/yamada.htm

Since I am a long time Leica owner and extremely fond with their optics I was really shocked about the severe CA in some of the pictures, as for instance in the picture of the street car going over the river bridge. Have a close look on the street car and the lantern poles.

The pictures under:

http://www.pbase.com/richtrav/fz1pics

were a pleasant surprise. Hardly any detectable CA and beautifully balanced colors and exposure. Still, I do not understand the idea of an advanced and rather expensive camera with 2MP in the year of 2003.
HerbertRD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 9, 2003, 5:22 PM   #19

I agree with HerbertRD's comment - "Still, I do not understand the idea of an advanced and rather expensive camera with 2MP in the year of 2003."

Nor do I understand why Panasonic produce their LC5 model - which has nearly 4mp - but doesn't have the zoom and image stabilization features of the FZ1.

What I'm sure people are looking for is a camera that combines the best of both these cameras.

Now if they were to manufacture the FZ1 with a Foveon image sensor - I think it would be really exciting..........
Herb is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13, 2003, 12:18 PM   #20

Hey, those were my pics :-) Yes I do like the Fz1 a lot, 2mp isn't the best these days but as you can see from Steve's first look it is resolving a lot of detail for a 2mp camera, apparently something to do with this Venus engine technology that samples the luminance data from all 3 colors.

The FZ1 has a lot of strong points: IS, an excellent lens system (can't stress that enough), some minor vignetting wide open is perhaps it's weakest point, CA is not bad at all considering it's reach. A really good auto white balance. A very small form factor lets you take it wherever you want. And it's fast and easy to review and delete pictures (plus did i mention the lens is wonderful?). The drawbacks are the lack of manual mode, a slightly weak flash, a very dim LCD/EF when indoors at iso50, and noise at higher ISOs. Plus the 2mp for those who are mp-obsessed. According to Panasonic, the sensor is smaller than other digicam sensors currently being made, which allowed such a powerful but quality lens to be practical at this price point.

To sum it up, it is the funnest digicam I've ever used, it's not going to replace my d30 but I still love it. I found the best thing to do was set the iso to 50 to keep the noise as low as possible and just set the dial to "camera" mode and shoot away, it's wonderful how the camera just sort of gets out of the way and lets you take pictures, you've got the zoom and the IS, you're good to go. Panasonic has obviously come a LONG ways since their disastrous LC5 intro last year.

PS to Mr Steve: how are you enjoying testing it so far?

Rich
richtrav is offline   Reply With Quote