Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Feb 16, 2003, 4:12 AM   #21

Where is the DMC FZ1 available in the US and what is the price in US$ please?
bateleur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16, 2003, 11:02 PM   #22

I don't know of anywhere in the U.S. where the FZ1's available, but a friend of mine who lives in Hong Kong has just bought one there - NEW - for the equivalent of about U.S.$425. That seems, to me, to be a surprisingly low price.
Herb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 21, 2003, 10:11 AM   #23
Administrator

My final FZ1 review has been posted:

http://www.steves-digicams.com/2003_reviews/fz1.html

-Steve
steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 21, 2003, 6:16 PM   #24

Steve,

A while ago, there was a rumor going around that the FZ-1 would not be available via normal retail channels in the US. Have you heard any definite news to the contrary?

Thank you.
Hyun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 5, 2003, 10:37 PM   #25

Default Panasonic DMZ-FC1 or Olympus C-2100UZ?

I am about to purchase my very first digital camera. (To be honest the last camera I purchased was the Oly IS-1 SLR - so I am not very knowledgeable about cameras at ALL - but I am willing to learn!!.)

In any case, I have researched my little heart out for the past year and it seems that the digital camera that will best suit my needs is one of the two above. I love the zoom and the image stabilization these two have - and they both fit within my budget price-wise.
(For a time, I lusted for the Oly C-7XX series - but no image stabilization is available on them so I X-ed them off the wish list).

Here's is my ONLY dilemma:
Price wise and zoom wise, the Panasonic is the better choice...but....

The Panasonic has no threads to screw any filters, or extra lenses onto - so how does one put filters on the thing? I keep reading that its little hood thing fits on "bayonet style". Ummm... what IS bayonet style? And can one somehow make filters and lenses go on the camera bayonet style? I would not dare risk any camera's lense by not, at the very least, providing it with a UV filter. SO, can I somehow make this camera accept attachement to the lense?

Please forgive my ignorance on the above subject and please don't laugh at me for asking it, OK?

Thank you so much for your time and your sincere responses.

Regards,
~Tiger
TigerLady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 6, 2003, 1:20 PM   #26

Default Re: Panasonic DMZ-FC1 or Olympus C-2100UZ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerLady
I am about to purchase my very first digital camera. (To be honest the last camera I purchased was the Oly IS-1 SLR - so I am not very knowledgeable about cameras at ALL - but I am willing to learn!!.)

In any case, I have researched my little heart out for the past year and it seems that the digital camera that will best suit my needs is one of the two above. I love the zoom and the image stabilization these two have - and they both fit within my budget price-wise.
(For a time, I lusted for the Oly C-7XX series - but no image stabilization is available on them so I X-ed them off the wish list).

Here's is my ONLY dilemma:
Price wise and zoom wise, the Panasonic is the better choice...but....

The Panasonic has no threads to screw any filters, or extra lenses onto - so how does one put filters on the thing? I keep reading that its little hood thing fits on "bayonet style". Ummm... what IS bayonet style? And can one somehow make filters and lenses go on the camera bayonet style? I would not dare risk any camera's lense by not, at the very least, providing it with a UV filter. SO, can I somehow make this camera accept attachement to the lense?

Please forgive my ignorance on the above subject and please don't laugh at me for asking it, OK?

Thank you so much for your time and your sincere responses.

Regards,
~Tiger
Hi Tiger

I don't own an FZ1 but reading some of the reviews I remember them saying that the bayonet tube has 55mm threads on the front of it to accept filters. Hope this helps.
Walt
walt1281928 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 6, 2003, 4:58 PM   #27
lg

Have you had a chance to try out the Panasonic yet? My advice would be to find a store that has one, and give it a try. There may be features missing that are more important to you than no threads for filters and adapters. I haven't used the camera before, but according to Steve's review the Panasonic has no manual settings. With a new camera you may always have the "try before you buy" option.
lg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 6, 2003, 7:38 PM   #28

Thank you both for your replies. They are appreciated. Unfortunately, there will not be a camera purchase next week as I had planned. My cat was hit by a car about midnight last night and her vet bills will be around $1,700. (She tore a screen and went out the window). I had to pull all of my camera money from the savings account via ATM before I could even leave her at the hospital. With 4 teenagers at home eating me out of my paycheck every single week, it is going to take me at least a year to save up the camera money again.

Oh well, Miss Ernie is worth it no matter what the cost.

Thanks again,
~Tiger
TigerLady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 7, 2003, 10:34 AM   #29

Hi!

I'm searching for my 1st digicam for quite a while now.
The FZ1 was a pretty good optical zoom of 12x and that sounded very interesting but after reading the specs i found out that there are few manual controls.
I'm not an amateur photographer, i have a 35 mm point n' shot camera. I have a lack of knownledge on this area but i'de like to improve it.
A digicam that can be manual and auto is what i want. The big optical zoom is really handy and if i can have both, manual ctrls and big zoom, then good for me!

I've almost made my choice, C2100!

Cumps
xf20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 7, 2003, 4:33 PM   #30
lg

If the long zoom and image stabilization are what you are looking for, the C-2100 is an excellent choice. A couple of others you may want to consider are the Olympus E-100RS and the Canon Pro90IS.
lg is offline   Reply With Quote