Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Apr 11, 2003, 9:02 PM   #31

Default I lke it

I have a C-2100 plus the Fl40 flash and B-300 lens and it is a great camera.....the Z1 sure looks good as well. After I can see a few more sample photos, I'll likely buy one for my point and shoot camera.
normc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 24, 2003, 10:59 AM   #32

Default Why I purchased & like the FZ1

I am a novice photographer with 35 years of experience. I shoot travelogues: buildings, scenery, people, artwork, & objects. I now display my shots in electronic albums after shooting slides for many years. I consider myself talanted in composition and subject selection, but very weak when it comes to portraits. I download photos to my Macintosh and edit in Photoshop.

Saying that, I selected the FZ1 because:

1. The size and quality of the lens will allow me to shoot people well from a distance.
2. The quality of it's automatic settings.
3. Wonderful macro images.
4. Included items: battery charger/AC adapter, flare guard.
5. Direct, simple connection to my computer, easy downloads with no battery drain.
6. The price.

Drawback: no additional batteries available as of this writing.

My experience is, "get the camera in hand and get out there & shoot!" I know this camera will provide me with years of great use and thousands of wonderful photos. I recommend it to active novice users like myself.
Fabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1, 2003, 12:42 PM   #33

Default General questions on FZ-1

All quotes below are from Steve’s review of the FZ-1.. After them are a few of my questions.

optical image stabilization

“A feature we haven't seen since the Olympus C-2100UZ, the DMC-FZ1 is equipped with an optical image stabilization system to minimize camera shake at long focal lengths. You learn to really appreciate image stabilization when you get past 5x focal lengths unless you're using a tripod.”

“The red "camera shake" icon warns you of slow shutter speeds.”

“Most people do not carry a tripod around with them so you either need to use a faster shutter speed or have a stabilized lens when you zoom out beyond 5x. The stabilizer also makes the camera capable of taking handheld shots in lower light levels without the flash.”

-- Does the stabilization system actually do something electronic in the camera to take away the shake or does it just put an indicator up on the monitor informing you that you are shaking and should use a tripod?

-- How can you increase shutter speed? Change to the Sport mode?

Auto exposure bracketing

“Auto exposure bracketing can be enabled, the camera captures three images and alters the exposure automatically. Adjustable for ±1/3, 2/3 or 1.0EV steps.”

“The FZ1 also offers an AE Bracketing mode whereby the camera will take three shots in rapid sequence and varies the exposure (+/- 1/3, 2/3 or 1.0EV) on each shot. One of those three shots is bound to be "just right" and you can always just delete the other two -- that's the beauty of digital photography.”

-- From your experience, under what circumstances might this be useful?

automatic exposure , shutter speed & aperture

“The exposure system is automatic, the user cannot directly control the shutter speed or aperture. The mode dial allows you to select from a variety of Automatic Exposure modes”

“There are presets for typical lighting conditions (sunny, cloudy, incandescent) and a custom manual setting if you're a perfectionist.”

-- Is there any technical information which details the presets along with the aperature and shutter speed for each mode? e.g. f2.8 / 1/250 sec / 400 ISO for cloudy sports shot.
Old May 5, 2003, 10:07 AM   #34

Default Re: General questions on FZ-1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fabe

-- Does the stabilization system actually do something electronic in the camera to take away the shake or does it just put an indicator up on the monitor informing you that you are shaking and should use a tripod?
I found the below link on another msg board:

http://www.canon.com/technology/opti...ift/index.html

And if that wraps, try this:

http://tinyurl.com/b019
PrmseKpr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5, 2003, 12:29 PM   #35

Default solutions to shake

PrmseKpr,

Thanks for the links. It's interesting to think that the Cannon solution is mechanical, not electronic. I would love to see the gyroscopes at work.

So how does Panosonic implement this in the FZ1? Did they create their own mechanical system? Do the license Cannons? Or do they just put a nice sticker on the camera and just show a shake icon? You know your car can be super-charged or turbo-charged, or it could just have flames painted on the sides.

Thanks again for the links.
Old May 5, 2003, 2:34 PM   #36

The Fz1 does take filters, 55mm dia. :lol:
David Elson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5, 2003, 2:58 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Elson
The Fz1 does take filters, 55mm dia. :lol:
COOL! Good to know!!!!
Old May 5, 2003, 9:21 PM   #38

Default Prmskpr photo albums

which of your pix are with the FZ-1. I am trying to evaluate indoor pic quality
click is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6, 2003, 8:19 AM   #39

Default Re: Prmskpr photo albums

Quote:
Originally Posted by click
which of your pix are with the FZ-1. I am trying to evaluate indoor pic quality
Right now the only indoor pix is "I like ice cream"

http://www.jacobfam.net/gallery/Misc...058_C_2003_NHJ

http://tinyurl.com/b3bw

Click the pix to get the full size shot. I have other indoor pix that I just took on Sunday, but I have not yet had a chance to post them, been too busy. I'll put a link as soon as they are up, which will probably be Thursday (at the earliest).

"Sun & Clouds, I like ice cream, Manassas VA Town Hall, and How Fast?" (click here) were all taken with the FZ1, the rest of the pix were all either with an APS or the HP PS 720
Old May 21, 2003, 9:16 PM   #40

Only 2MP!!!!!!!!!! Bugger.

35mm wide angle is a bit better than a lot of the 38mm jobbies too.

Peopel say there are no manual controls but we can adjust exposure and white balance so i don't get it.
Alfisti is offline   Reply With Quote