Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Jul 15, 2003, 12:40 PM   #61

I thought so for a second, yes. I saw that offer, but I have to check how much would I have to pay for taxes and these things. It has to be less than 645$, which is a price in Slovenia. But there is only a small chance for that, because they add 75$ for shipping and 35$, because I can pay only through bank transfer. The shop is not based in EU and the camera is not made in EU. That both adds to higher tax and customs rates. I don't know why is so hard to find a nice internet shop, which would send cameras to other countries, too (for a reasonable price). I didn't find one single shop like that in UK, they're too occupied with "You get it in 24 hrs" commercial, while USA based shops are obviously afraid of sending stuff overseas, too.
Trdi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 21, 2003, 12:45 PM   #62

I've been using Oly 2100 for 18 months. Just sold it recently and bought the FZ1. A bit regreted.

FZ1 is better in MOST aspects but NOT in image quality even with the so called best lens. ISO 200 and 400 are totally unusable with excessive noise! You have to stick to ISO 50 for best results, which will make the EVF dim down and hard to see.

And Oly 2100 focuses much better in low light.

I don't know how the Panasonic's IS technology works, but I can't 'feel' it works. With the Oly 2100, when in full zoom into distance objects, the jumping like crazy images in the EVF would calm down (floating slowly) when the shutter button was half press to focus. In FZ1, there's no difference all the time. :?

If you can live with the size of 2100, FZ1 is not your best choice. I wanted something smaller (need not manual control) and uses SD (which I can share with my Pocket PC). That's why I switched.
KW2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 21, 2003, 8:03 PM   #63
lg

KW2003, thanks for your post. I've been wanting to see a review of the FZ1 from a person that's familiar with the C2100. I hope you are able to find a smaller camera that suits your needs. If the need ever arose for a "pocketable" camera, I had thought I would pick up one of the older Olympus models-- the D40 or perhaps the D550. Just a thought in case you may want to consider them...
lg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 22, 2003, 4:42 AM   #64

Hi lg and KW2003 (almost something you'd see written on a bottle of South African wine), I see someone on dpreview.com in the "other digicams" forum has just asked advice on this comparison.
Here's a link to a post by a British guy who has both cameras.
http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/re...essage=5463470
normjackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 23, 2003, 10:05 AM   #65

Quote:
Originally Posted by lg
KW2003, thanks for your post. I've been wanting to see a review of the FZ1 from a person that's familiar with the C2100. I hope you are able to find a smaller camera that suits your needs. If the need ever arose for a "pocketable" camera, I had thought I would pick up one of the older Olympus models-- the D40 or perhaps the D550. Just a thought in case you may want to consider them...
You're welcomed. But somebody else may not like to hear negative comments about something they love. See below:

http://www.stevesforums.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=9635
Old Jul 23, 2003, 11:34 AM   #66

Hi KW2003 (may I call you pinotage? No? OK). With only a few months experience of following several forums, I immediately recognised your posts could well lead to a bit of aggro. I did think about posting something preemptive but got called away. Maybe it doesn't matter.

Anyways, I wanted to mention both Ray Medford and fsw at the dpreview forum have both cameras so may have some useful input. Of course I'd rather Ray's enthusiasm and humour reconciled you with your purchase rather than your reservations made him feel disappointed with his.

I do urge you to plough your way through the dpreview stuff. The automation and "modes" of the DMC-FZ1 means that there are quirks that all sorts of ingenious workarounds have been devised to address. Yes, you could say these workarounds shouldn't be necessary, but if you're interested in getting the best results...

As an example, perhaps you could have tried focussing at ISO400 but still shot at ISO50 for the photo you posted.
Old Jul 24, 2003, 12:11 PM   #67

First of all, peace to everyone.

Actually I'm not a westerner. Normjackson, can you elaborate these: 'almost something you'd see written on a bottle of South African wine' and 'pinotage'? And who is these 'Ray Medford' and 'fsw' as I never heard of them?

Focusing at ISO 400 with the focus button and shoot at ISO 50 is a bit tedious. The object's distance/pose may change. Maybe we can have the firmware tweaked/hacked so that it will focus under Auto ISO mode (having a bright EVF) but always shoot/record at ISO 50? Now I call that 'advanced'.

Actually I prefer FZ1 over 2100 for most aspects including size (!), fast SD read and write, easy menu system, buttons and playback. I just hope that it has the image quality and precise focusing of the 2100 (yeah, you can say that I've been spoilt ). I'll just love it!!
Old Jul 25, 2003, 4:16 AM   #68

Hi KW2003. KWV International on their web site call themselves "a brand builder and exporter of South African wines". At one time KWV and South African wine were pretty much synonomous here in the UK. Pinotage is a grape variety, actually a man-made cross between two French varieties, which was first seriously adopted in South Africa. And of course the southern hemisphere 2003 vintage has already occurred so it may not be long before wine bottle labels with the letters KWV near the numbers 2003 will be on the shelves here. I never promised the joke was good. I should add I would never have made it if I thought KW2003 was your real name

If you want to focus at ISO400 and shoot at ISO50 I suggest the best way may be to set Normal mode to ISO50 and focus to the focus button. Then with the camera set on Simple mode giving you the brighter screen and continuous mode autofocus, check to see when you have a focus lock, then twist the mode dial one slot anti-clockwise to normal mode and shoot. Probably trickier in practice than I've made it sound but maybe worth a go.

My link above should lead you to a post by Ray Medford in the dpreview "other digicams" forum. Like fsw, I believe he is very positive about the DMC-FZ1 though I believe they were fortunate enough to have been able to hold onto their C2100s.

Trouble with the dpreview forum is that new threads seem to be created too fast eg. on the Natural - Vivid settings I stuck my contribution to a thread and within a day or so someone had started a new one on exactly the same topic. Maybe we could use this forum to extract the "edited highlights" and best tips from there.

Good shooting.
Old Jul 25, 2003, 8:14 AM   #69

Peace and good will to all.

KW2003 . I have my camera set on 100 ISO all the time. Try taking a picture on 50 ISO then repeat with 100 ISO and compare. Can you tell the difference? :shock:

Shooting in light that requires f2.8 at 1/8 at 100 ISO my EVF screen is bright. Personally I don’t like EVF screens. Much preferring a true SLR.

Second test. Take a picture set at Fine mode then repeat at standard mode. Produce a 10 x 8 print from each picture and see if you can see a difference. Remember on a 128 card you get 150 pictures at Fine Quality but double that at Standard quality. Useful to remember if you are on holiday and running out of space on your cards.
David Elson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 25, 2003, 10:14 AM   #70

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Elson
I have my camera set on 100 ISO all the time. Try taking a picture on 50 ISO then repeat with 100 ISO and compare. Can you tell the difference? :shock:
Mmm... there is difference. You see... ISO 100 vs ISO 50.

Quote:
Shooting in light that requires f2.8 at 1/8 at 100 ISO my EVF screen is bright. Personally I donít like EVF screens. Much preferring a true SLR.
Well I like EVF. Feel more high tech. I'm a gadget lover.

Quote:
Second test. Take a picture set at Fine mode then repeat at standard mode. Produce a 10 x 8 print from each picture and see if you can see a difference. Remember on a 128 card you get 150 pictures at Fine Quality but double that at Standard quality. Useful to remember if you are on holiday and running out of space on your cards.
I agree on this one. Errr... but did I argue on it?