Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Jul 25, 2003, 10:37 AM   #71

My understanding, from article mentioned below, is that high ISO settings actually produce more deterioration of image quality in low light conditions than bright ones. As in low light conditions the benefits of ISO50 becomes stronger than ever, you are encouraged to stick with that and try to find some means of dealing with the slow shutter speed that will result.

If you go to :
http://www.megapixel.net/html/issueindex.php?lang=en

click on the red "Articles" on the right then on the drop down menu click on "High ISO Settings".

If you're a software freak too KW2003 you might want to look at the free noise reduction software at http://www.neatimage.com
normjackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 25, 2003, 11:31 AM   #72

I can understand the relation between ISO and noise. What I was thinking is, if other brand (i.e. Oly 2100) can produce photos with so less noise at ISO 100 and 200, why FZ1 must take photos at ISO 50 to obtain the same level of cleanliness?

Come on, Panasonic. Can a firmware upgrade solve this? Or it's a CCD problem?
KW2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 25, 2003, 1:29 PM   #73

The Panasonic DMC-FZ1 has a very small CCD which probably doesn't help. Maybe some sophisticated noise reduction software/firmware in the camera might have helped but I suspect it would be optimistic to expect this in a firmware upgrade.

BTW, I'm not sure "Panasonic" is listening here KW2003. The nearest I've seen to that is at the dpreview.com "Other Digicams" forum where a guy called Bob, who is at least a Panasonic employee, occasionally tries to answer questions. Please do try, though, not to present yourself as though you are doing him a favour
normjackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 25, 2003, 5:03 PM   #74

Default In low light viewfinder not bright enough

Kw2003

Page 79 in the operating instructions explains how to adjust brightness of the view finder. Hope this may help a problem you had in an earlier post.

When I said try taking pictures with Iso 50 and Iso 100 I did not say there was no difference but asked if you could see a difference . What I meant was if you saw a difference then you could make a decision based on these pictures whether the very slight gain in noise (and it is slight in poor light) is worth worrying about. In normal day light (outside) you wont see any thing with out realy blowing the picture up.

I admit I cheat , to produce decent sized prints , 10 x 8 and bigger I use Genuine fractals. With this programme and this camera you realy can produce some nice pictures for the wall.

Live well, live long and may your family always have good health.

David
David Elson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 26, 2003, 5:51 AM   #75

I have sitting in front of me a set of prints taken at 50 ISO and 100 ISO and can not produce the amount of noise that you have on your prints. Either your camera is producing more noise than mine or your pictures are a section from a print far greater than 10 x 8. I think it may be the first. No two cameras are going to be exactly the same. Maybe I am lucky and I have one of the batch that produces less noise.

Iím in England but I converse with a fellow FZ1 owner in the States and he was the one that put me on the test between 50 and 100 to see if on an average picture I could see the difference. And we both agree that the very very slight difference was not worth worrying about. Neither of us produces the amount of noise your camera does at 100 ISO.

I wonder what other FZ1 owners have found.
Old Jul 26, 2003, 1:09 PM   #76

Thanks. In fact I already have my unit's EVF tuned up to the maximum brightness. That does help me to see but not the CCD. Still having focusing problem under low light when ISO 50 is used to reduce noise.

Oh yes, just read in the manual that when excessive noise occured, 'Natural colour' mode is recommended. But found that it doesn't help much in real life. And the colours became duller.

The picture was a section cropped (unedited) from the original image at 100% display. Yeah, my unit is producing more noise, that's what I'm worrying too. Because everybody seems happy with the FZ1.

And also my FZ1's pictures are mostly at too high contrast, whites are very white (blown out) and blacks are very black. I'm using 'Standard' mode. Should I change to 'Natural' mode?
Old Jul 26, 2003, 5:06 PM   #77

Hello Kw2003,

What editing programme are you using?

When you have opened your picture in your editing programmed what properties does your picture have.
e.g. a 2MB Image as it comes out of the camera will be 72 pixels per inch and 22.22 x 16.66 inches in physical size.
If you change it in your editing programme e.g. Photoshop to 200 pixels per inch that the physical size is reduced to 8 x 6 inches, as you know.
What Iím asking is was the picture you loaded onto the web site still 72 pixel per inch when it was cropped.

You say the pictures are too contrasty. Is this on your monitor or when you print?
Under what lighting conditions is it too contrasty. Is it too contrasty inside or is it still too contrasty out side in normal daylight. Digital chips are not so forgiving as modern film, which can cope with several stops tolerance.

I am asking because I wont to help.

David
Old Jul 27, 2003, 12:51 AM   #78

Hi good day,

No no no, not so complicated. I just captured one part of the picture while it was displayed on screen at original size (100%). It's for comparison purposes. Well I'm not an imaging expert. Maybe when I print the 1600x1200 into 4R, the 260+ ppi will make the noise less visible.

The pictures were too contrasty on screen (compared to Oly 2100's as reference, so let's ignore monitor calibration issue). Haven't tried any hard copy from the FZ1 yet. Those were outdoor cloudy day photos.

Were you saying that "you want to help" or "you won't to help"? :evil: Just kidding... :lol: Of course any help is greatly appreciated. I'm trying to make this camera my loved one.

Thanks.
Old Jul 27, 2003, 1:15 AM   #79

Just tried the movie mode in FZ1. It's better than Oly 2100 only except the slower 10 fps. In FZ1, it seems that the data is being write directly onto the card, not into a buffer first. The playback is instant too!! And the cursor pad functions as an easy control. Oly 2100 definitely lose in this aspect.