Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Sep 25, 2002, 4:06 AM   #1

Default New Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ1

Wow look at this new Panasonic with 12X zoom lens that has just been announced! This could be set to rival the Olympus C2100 and Canon Powershot Pro90IS. See www.dcviews.com for more information.

Kevin
UK
KevinJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 25, 2002, 7:50 PM   #2
Administrator

Check it out here:

http://www.letsgodigital.nl/webpages...ic/FZ1_uk.html

-Steve
steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 30, 2002, 2:05 AM   #3

Default C-2100 is better IMHO

In my opinion the Panasonic fares better then the C-2100 only on the Zoom range front (420 v/s 380 mm), but falls short of it in various features like the F value at full zoom, use of the popular Smartmedia Card, etc.

Both the cameras sport a sensor of 2 MP,

I guess the C-2100 remains a better buy at $442 (refurbished) at buy.com.

ajeet
ajitkataria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 2, 2002, 9:44 AM   #4

Default Wow

I cant see any feature of Olympus 2100 which is better than new Panasonic's.
1. Zoom - Lumix's definitely better- 12 vs 10
2. Quality of lens - Leica vs Olympus- funny even to compare
3. F - 2,8 Lumix's throughout the entire zoom range!!! (genius of Leica) vs 2,8-3,6 Olympus's.
4. SD memory card- smaller in size than CF.
Obviously, the Lumix is MUCH better than Olympus from ANY angle of view except for the price.
Waitin for appearance it in stocks in 5 megapixel version to buy it.
Sorry for bad English.
Chikatilo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 2, 2002, 4:06 PM   #5

I've seen no mention of an external flash connection on the Panasonic, and the marketing blurbs have indicated that it is targeted at those who want to shoot outdoors. If that means what I think, the Oly C-2100 still has a huge edge for my purposes.
LDAldridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 3, 2002, 12:55 AM   #6

Chikatilo,
I agree with you on the F value, but does it (F2.8 v/s F3.6) make much difference for a snapshot user, as both the cameras are not intended for Pros.
Reg. the Leica v/s Olympus lens, I would like to make it clear for you that the lens actually is manufactured by Canon for Olympus, in IMO Canon hardly falls shorter of any lens manufacturer in terms of quality.
The Olympus uses a SM card only as opposed to SD (not CF), and it would always be a better choice in terms of price, availability, compatibility with other gadgets, etc.
What about the price?
The C-2100 will cost only about 50-60% of the panasonic,
So, what camera would an amateur buy in the light of all pros and cons?
Old Oct 3, 2002, 1:58 AM   #7

Chikatilo,

Would like to add more,

Oly uses the widely acceptable and readily available Ni Mh battery, whereas the panasonic uses a properitory Li-Ion battery pack , which i feel would not be as easily available as the Ni mh.

The lens on Oly also fatures an Image Stabilizer, Canon invented and patented the Image stabilization technology,
in a way, Leica has to look towards Canon for some support.
Old Oct 5, 2002, 6:24 PM   #8

Yes, 2,8-3,6 is not VERY much worse than 2,8-2,8, but its still worse! Moreover, how often we r lacking half the stop! And the fact that leica did constant f during all the zoom range shows us that this lens have very high quality because (surely in its price range) because every brand makes constant f only at their highest quality lens.
About optical image stabilizer : This Lumix does have it!
Ok, Canons lens r much better than original Olimpus. But they r definitely worse than Leica's. Leica's lens r simply the best. The second place - Karl Zeiss and so on. U can see it in tables which r provided by brands and competitions by magazines. Just look at Canon's official book "Lens work-2" and Leica's official book with tables. And u will see that the ONLY canons lens which's sharpness and bokeh are at leica's level - is 180 - 3,5 L macro. This lens are definitely incredible. But all others r far lower than leicas.
Chikatilo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 7, 2002, 2:17 AM   #9

Chikatilo,
Can you tell the difference between two identical photos, one shot at 2.8 and the other at 3.6, i presume no one could.
therefore, i don't see any point in putting twice or more money in features that doesn't make much difference.
I agree with you on the costant F range of the highest quality lenses, but in comparison the variable f2.8-3.6 wouldn't fall any shorter then the constant F2.8 in quality.
I know the Lumix has the OIS, but with borrowed technology from Canon.
I have never seen any comparison between any japanese/german lens,
so i wouldn't know if your claims are right or wrong.
i am sure Lumix produces some of the best optics, but then canon also is a world leader in quality optics.

ajeet
Old Oct 24, 2002, 4:52 AM   #10

I saw some photos that were posted for the new camera (I don't remember where) and I was a little disappointed in the quality. My Uzi pictures look a lot clearer. The problem with the UZi (Olympus C-2100UZ) is availability. Also the limited capacity of the Smartmedia Cards. Since Olympus came out with the new card format, I doubt they'll bother increasing the capacity of the SM card.
lobomayo is offline   Reply With Quote