Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Aug 5, 2004, 1:32 PM   #1

Hi all!

I've had my FZ10 for 2 months now and have been very happy with the camera - I managed to pick it up for just £350 and thought it was a steal. I was originally thinking of purchasing the Nikon 5400/5700 but after reading all of the reviews on the FZ10 I decided on the Pana.

Does anyone know if there is a way to bulk up the handle/grip as I'm finding it too small in my hand and the camera doesn't feel as comfpotable to hold as it should esp after having been an EOS user for the last few years ? (I know that Pansonic has fixed this with the new FZ15/20).

With regards to picture quality, sometimes the camera can take awesome shots but occassionally I've found that some pictures esp when taken inside without a flash are extremely bitty or show lots of noise even when there is ample lighting. The pics look fine on the LCD at 100% but if u zoom in you instantly notice the artifacts. In photoshop they look even worse at anything greater than 100% zoom. Its now happened to me outdoors in moderate lighting. I've never had this problem even with my Nikon Coolpix 775 can anyone advise me on what settings to use ?

Regards

HarjTT

PS.

I can post pics if needed.

:-):?:P
HarjTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 5, 2004, 2:13 PM   #2

What looks like plenty of indoor light to you isn't usually plenty for a camera. Set the ISO on 100 and hold the camera as steady as you can. Firing a burst increases your chances of getting a sharp image at low shutter speeds. You probably have the ISO set on auto and it is increasing to give you a better shutter speed. That causes the noise you are seeing.

I suppose you have learned to hold your left hand under the lens with your elbows into your body. The camera feels fine to me that way.
slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 6, 2004, 6:41 AM   #3

Thanks for the info. I'll try and see how the camera behaves with the ISO set to 100 or 50.

I'm holding the camera as steady as I can with my left hand under the lens and elbow into my chest but it still feels uncomfortable. I've restored to placing the strap just infront of the handle, its a little better but its not brilliant.

Harj

Old Aug 6, 2004, 10:43 AM   #4

Did you use the EVF or the LCD to take photos? Most of the time I only use the EVF since I can hold the camera steadier than using the LCD. My left hand holds the left bottom of the camera so my thumb and index finger can access the focus ring while the middle and ring fingers griping the lens barrel. If the lens hood is attached then I use the middle finger for the focus ring. My right hand lightly grips the camera without the palm touching the right bottom of the camera. Set both elbows a bit apart, RELAX and enjoy the shootings!

The FZ10 manual suggests using your right eye for the evf, but I use my left eye since the camera can lean tightly against my forehand for extra steadiness.
akirabbq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 6, 2004, 1:35 PM   #5

An eyecup helps steady the camera. It gives a better view of the EVF as well.
slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 6, 2004, 9:09 PM   #6

I had similar problems and now try to shoot with manual mode as much as possible indoors. The LCD looks bright enough in auto mode but as you mentioned, the results on the computer are too noisy or too dark.

In low light, I generally put the aperture to 2.8 and change the shutter speed to get the desired result. A little bit of a pain, but well worth it.
srvsd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 12, 2004, 7:58 AM   #7

Thanks for the replies and tips. I'm going to get an eyecup for the EVF today. I normally shoot using the LCD as I just find the EVF a wee bit small for me.

Here's a pic just to show what I mean. It was taken in the British Mueseum, with the camera set to Auto, No flash:

Harj

: o )>

:-):-)
Attached Images

Old Aug 12, 2004, 8:22 AM   #8

Here's another which shows it up even more :

Attached Images