Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Aug 6, 2004, 1:29 PM   #1
TCB

I can't believe that the FZ3 has TIFF, but the FZ10 doesn't....this is crazy. Could the FZ10 have a TIFF mode or does this require the new engine (chip) in the new Lumix line? I would like to see a firmware upgrade for this feature. I would pay for it.

TCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 6, 2004, 2:22 PM   #2

I would love to see raw and a true SHQ JPG. TIFF is a poor format in a camera IMO. Evidently TIFF must be really cheap to implement because they put it on the FZ20. You can't tell TIFF from a true SHQ JPG and it is over 3 times the size. Raw gives greater bit depth and many processing advantages over TIFF. It is also almost a third the size. I would pay for a firmware with SHQ or raw, but I wouldn't use TIFF if it were there.

Do you have a camera with TIFF and do you regularly use it?
slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 6, 2004, 3:31 PM   #3
TCB

No I don't have any other digital cameras, but I just find I would like to have a bigger file format with less compression for prints....that's all.

When I crop some of my pictures...the noise is pretty bad...even at 50 ISO under sunlight.

TCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 6, 2004, 11:15 PM   #4

slipe wrote:
Quote:

I would love to see raw and a true SHQ JPG. TIFF is a poor format in a camera IMO. Evidently TIFF must be really cheap to implement because they put it on the FZ20. You can't tell TIFF from a true SHQ JPG and it is over 3 times the size. Raw gives greater bit depth and many processing advantages over TIFF. It is also almost a third the size. I would pay for a firmware with SHQ or raw, but I wouldn't use TIFF if it were there.
slipe, I agree with you that RAW would be a nice alternative in Panasonic's new offerings, but we're not going to see it. I don't think Panasonic wants the support burden that would come with offering a RAW format (developers to write the facility to translate raw to something useful, support people to answer questions about the format and problems with the utility, 3rd party support evangelism, etc).

Now, OTOH, TIFF is only a specification for packaging data. Because it is an almost universally supported packaging specification it could be useful. But the way in which Panasonic supports TIFF format is not as useful because it is my understanding that it would be packaging uncompressed pixel data. If they had chosen instead to support LZW or Winzip compression for their TIFF format, the users might have had a format that could provide palatable image file sizes and lossless compression. That would have made TIFF truly useful. I have the same complaint on my Olympus c8080. I wonder if they could enhance their TIFF support with a firmware upgrade? :-)
geoffs is offline   Reply With Quote