Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Aug 9, 2004, 10:28 AM   #1

I'm considering buying not the FZ10 but the FZ20 and I've read Steve's review of the FZ10 (they shouldn't be that diferent) and on he's conclusion he says that while taking action shots on Burst mode the EVF freezes, is this true? If so what's the use of this mode? Also does the EVF freezes when focusing (this happens on the Canon S1 as I was told)? Or does it only happen on burst mode?
I'd really apreciate this info as this is very important on my decision.

Regards
Fernando
Fernando is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 9, 2004, 1:39 PM   #2

I use burst mode all the time (active kids). It takes several shots, as you know, and each shot is temporarily "frozen" on screen, but we're talking a fraction of a second. I personallyfind it helpful as I'm tracking the target, and I've gotten great results from it.

When the burst is done, there's a pause while the buffer completes writing to memory (I use fast SimpleTech cards, but others say the speed doesn't make much difference, I don't know). The pause is very brief, probably less than a second - and then you can take another burst.

As I understand it, the FZ20 actually goes one step further and will take burst shots until the card is filled? Must have a really fast (and large) buffer - sounds like a great feature.

cageyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 9, 2004, 4:25 PM   #3

cageyman wrote:
Quote:
I use burst mode all the time (active kids). It takes several shots, as you know, and each shot is temporarily "frozen" on screen, but we're talking a fraction of a second. I personally find it helpful as I'm tracking the target, and I've gotten great results from it.

When the burst is done, there's a pause while the buffer completes writing to memory (I use fast SimpleTech cards, but others say the speed doesn't make much difference, I don't know). The pause is very brief, probably less than a second - and then you can take another burst.

As I understand it, the FZ20 actually goes one step further and will take burst shots until the card is filled? Must have a really fast (and large) buffer - sounds like a great feature.

Thank you for the fast reply.

According to you the burst mode will be no diferent than the one I currently have on the S7000, that's good enough.

What about focusing, does the image freeze on the EVF or can you see it focusing while being able to track your subject? I can do this on the S7K without freezing the image. As I've been told this cannot be done on the Canon S1 (by someone who owns both), and on my late S5000 I couldn't do it either, how does the FZ10 behaves in this situation?
Old Aug 9, 2004, 5:44 PM   #4

it doesnt freeze when focusing, also becouse you have a focus ring and wouldnt make sense to freeze wile focusing.

a fz20 deve ser melhor para acção porque tem um motor mais rapido, foca mais rapido e tem menos lag.
Frederico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 9, 2004, 7:42 PM   #5

The FZ10, in burst mode, freezes on the first frame and you can see the other 4 frames perfectly clear. Before posting this I went and checked just to be sure. Another thing, the FZ10 does a 5 frame burst that is faster than many DSLR's. As if seeing something in a one second 5 frame burst is going to help one do some adjusting. The burst is faster than the human reaction time.

Normcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 10, 2004, 4:02 AM   #6

Thanks a lot for the info guys, I probably gonna give the FZ20 a shot I just have to wait for it to come out.

Só por curiosidade o Frederico é de onde? Se não se importar é claro. Eu sou de Loulé.
Old Aug 10, 2004, 10:27 AM   #7

lisboa.
Frederico is offline   Reply With Quote