Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Aug 11, 2004, 2:39 PM   #1

Hello guys,

I'd like toshare with you some of my panoramic shots made with FZ-10.

I'll gladly hear your oppinions.

You can find the shots here: http://pingu.ii.uj.edu.pl/~madgreg/chpam/

(but be warned: those are quite big photos)

I also got a question: in low light conditions especially at ISO > 100 there's some kind of "pixelization" presenton the pictures. I assume normal noise would end in some pixels differing in colour from another, but what I get is as I said something like "pixelization" (like after some pixelize effect). Did you experienced the same? If my description is not clear I may put some photos with this effect online.
madgreg is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 13, 2004, 11:35 AM   #2

shoot only @ iso 50 if there are low light conditions use noiseninja or neatimage and 90% of the noise wil dissapear.

the alternative is to buy a 10d or d100 :blah:
frozen-pizza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 13, 2004, 5:24 PM   #3

If stringing pictures together for a panorama, does it matter whether you use noise reduction on the originals or on the stitched pano? Just curious if there is an advantage to doing it one way over the other.

FZFUN
FZFUN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 16, 2004, 9:51 AM   #4

Nice photos - I could not recognise the places in which the pictures were 'stitched' together. I have not yet played with the panorama software ... Was it hard?

Best regards

A poza tym pozdrawiam krajana ... tak wnoszę z adresu na którym zamieszczone są fotki.
luka_glo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 16, 2004, 1:10 PM   #5

Not sure what it is you are describing. There can be interference between the pixels in the image and those of the screen. Put your screen resolution on its highest setting and view the photos at different levels of blow-up. If the pixelation changes at different blowups it is probably something that wouldn't show up on a print.

I find it a lot easier to first stitch the photo and then enhance it – that includes Neat Image.

slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 18, 2004, 8:59 AM   #6

In the firs photo you can see the noise mostly around the water in the lower right corner. In the 2.6 MB one you can notice it in the sky. In both cases in a print or screen viewable picture (not sure about you guys but I rarely look at photos in such a way that I need to scroll to see the whole thing) you aren't going to see it.
Telomar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 19, 2004, 2:03 PM   #7

Telomar: I was talking about noise not in those pictures I posted but noise in general. Especially (I noticed) it appears when shooting at high ISO with long exposures and with enabled in camera sharpening. I guess the sharpening was producing this strange behaviour.

Btw does anyone know what setting doesn't apply any postprocessing in the camera? Is it LOW or STANDARD? I assume LOW but then LOW maybe apply some soften to the picture... I didn't find information about it in documentation. I would prefer the camera not to apply any soften/sharpen in the terms of digital processing - which setting should I use?

luka_glo: try panorama maker, which is bundled with FZ-10, it really does a good job and it's quite easy to use. podrawiam wzajemnie, skad jestes?
Old Aug 19, 2004, 3:54 PM   #8

On most digicams the "Low" settings prevent in-camera post processing.
Klaas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 20, 2004, 4:01 AM   #9

Thx Klaas, btw it's a pity they don't put such an info in user manual. It would be helpful...