Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Aug 12, 2004, 12:18 PM   #1

HiFred:

Am interested in attempting Infrared photos with my Panasonic FZ2.

Will the Hoya 55mm. r 72 IR filter attach directly to the original adapter of the camera.

What typeof processing is required to obtain the beautiful photos you have published. I would assume the unprocessed photos would be reddish or pink.

The reason for reaching you thru this forum is that I have been unable to post on DPreview for several months. Miss talking with you, John Reed(who walked me thru conversion of fz1 to fz2) and others.

Do not know the reason I cannot post on DPreview forum.

Sam Falk
samuel is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 12, 2004, 3:54 PM   #2

Hi Sam,

Yes, the 55mm r72 will screw directly into the stock fz2 adapter. Best price I found was $28 at http://www.freestylephoto.biz/sc_pro...=&pid=4320 All of my posted ir shots are straight from the camera. The trick is to set the manual white balance (color effect off - NOT bw) )with the r72 in place - ie, through the ir lens. You dont have to set it to something white, just the ambient light and foliage or whatever will do. I generally set my fz1v2 to iso200 - 400 gets a little noisey. Dont use the zoom other than slightly for framing. There is not enough light getting through the r72 for any significant zoom. You want bright sunlight not only for decent shutter speed (which will range around 1/10 - 1/30 depending on ev setting) but also for shadows. Shooting out of shadows into sunlight is cool. I try to get something non-foliage in the shot - stones, buildings, water, pathways, etc - to offset the bright foliage which can get a little overwhelming.

Caution: You may get obsessed with infrared photos. Dont forget that the fz2 takes wonderful color shots as well. Have fun!

Fred
fmoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 12, 2004, 8:22 PM   #3

Fred,
What makes the FZ2 so different that you can use it for IR when my FZ10 simply doesn't cut it?
(Although when this hurricane blows over I intend to use your settings).
Also, would love to see your IR work if its posted on the web.
TIA
Strat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 12, 2004, 11:55 PM   #4

Most of the newer digicams come with a strong internal irblocker to "protect" the ccd. Whether it is necessary, I dont know - overkill, perhaps. The fz1/2 internal ir blocker allows sufficient ir through so as to permit the use of a relatively weak (in that it lets in alot of other light as well) ir filter such as the hoya r72. Results at http://www.ishots.net/infrared

Fred

For those considering the purchase of an fz1, there is a good deal at http://www.vanns.com/shop/servlet/it...ures/495832242 $250 new and $230 open box "Excellent condition and complete customer return."
fmoore is offline   Reply With Quote