Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Aug 13, 2004, 12:27 PM   #1

I tested 3 Panasonic FZ10 cameras and noticed discolored lines on light objects (on all 3 cameras).
This problem is very annoying while taking foto of clouds (or sunsets) with +1 or +2 EV ( in this case all white clouds/sun or even light background comes with discolored lines).
Samples of this are here:
http://photoes-bad.narod.ru/photo.html
Click on images to see it in full size.
or here (not a direct link)
http://photoes-bad.narod.ru/P1020203.JPG (lines in the sky)
http://photoes-bad.narod.ru/sun.jpg (lines on the sun)

This problem is known and showed in this review
http://reviews.cnet.com/Panasonic_Lu...6.html?tag=top
"The light areas of the FZ10's images are especially susceptible to demosaicing artifacts. Here, the error takes the form of discolored stripes"

Is there any way to solve this problem?
(i think, this is jpeg compression problem, that can be solved by firmware upgrade)
tester-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 16, 2004, 10:08 AM   #2

Hi,

I have not encountered this type of problem and I think the reason why might be that I generally use ISO 100, -0.33EV and for skylight fotos mainly manual or semi-manual modes. To me it seems that the +1, +2 EV are to blame here. Please give those suggestions a try and let me know if it works.

Good luck !
luka_glo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 17, 2004, 9:16 AM   #3

This is not an exposure problem. I used +1, +2 EV to clearly show the problem. If i used proper EV, i would get better pictures. But in some cases (such as sunset photo), lines on light objects (f.e. sun in sunset)are impossible to avoid.
So it seems to be a jpeg compression problem. On other cameras i haven`t noticed such artifacts even on overexposured light objects
Old Aug 17, 2004, 11:29 AM   #4
TCB

I say send your problem to Panasonic...the more people involved, the better chance for us to get a firmware update to address these problems.

TCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 17, 2004, 4:40 PM   #5

I'm having a hard time navagating your site. Are we talking about Purple fringing? Is it possible to post a photograph in this thread, 640xwhatever?

Suzan
ImKayd1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 18, 2004, 8:04 AM   #6

TCB
Thanks.

ImKayd1
Quote:
I'm having a hard time navagating your site. Are we talking about Purple fringing?
No. We are talking about discolored lines

Quote:
Is it possible to post a photograph in this thread, 640xwhatever?
Artifacts would not be seen on such small photoes.
Old Aug 18, 2004, 9:13 AM   #7

Can you please post the photo - I've tried to view the photosnumerous times without any success.

Thanks
Panasonic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 18, 2004, 9:40 AM   #8

Guys,

I was just able to view the photo after waiting 10 minutes.

Open the photo with any viewer that offers a histogram display. While it's visually obvious that the photo is extremely over-exposed, seeing how the image data is displayed gives you a much better understanding. The "lines" are more than likely the result of saturating the CCD. Using a camcorder that has a manual iris I just simulated the same condition in videoby pointing it out my office window and opening the lens all the way.

I see what you refer to, but since this photo is obviously improperly exposed, where is the problem? No humor intended,am I missing something? Are properly exposed photos showing the same lines? If so, please post an example.

Panasonic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 18, 2004, 10:12 AM   #9

Photoes are here.
http://photoes-bad.narod.ru/photo.html
Click on images to see it in full size.

I can also sent photoes by e-mail.
Old Aug 18, 2004, 10:52 AM   #10

Panasonic
These photoes was overexposured to clearly show (underline) this problem.

1) I haven`t noticed such lines even on overexposured photoes of other cameras (i tested Olympus 4040z).
2) On photoes with normal EV, this problem also occurs
3) This problem is really annoying while taking landscape photoes (When you need to lighten grass or trees for example. You use EV compensation (f.e. +1) and get lines on sky)
4) The sunset photo I`ve posted, shows discolored lines on the sun. The photo is not overexposured but the sun is (and contains lines). These line on the sun are impossible to avoid. I just can`t get such photoes (of sunset) on FZ10 without the "lined" sun. The photo is spoiled. I didn`t get the similar result on OLympus 4040z (the sun was overexposured, white but didn`t contain lines). So I think it is not normal to have lines on even overexposured photoes while other cameras do not.