Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Aug 16, 2004, 1:26 AM   #1

I hope Panasonic Bob is reading! Appreciate your reply if you are!:-)

I am planning to get the DMW-FL28 for the FZ10, but information is rather limited on the specs and performance.

Bob, are there any special features that the FL28 has when mounted on the FZ10 compared to other 3rd party flash?

What I have gathered so far is that the FL28 has matching Apeture of 2.8, 4, and 5.6 for normal and 8, 11, 16 for Marcro. Another feature is that it can depress to -15 and -30 degree in tilting i.e. -30 to 90 deg tilt angle. I found a picture of the back of the flash.

Question: Is there a ISO setting for the flash? If I change the ISO on the FZ10, will the flash change accordingly?

How should I use the flash with the FZ10? Mount it on, and let the camera do the control? or adjust both camera and flash individually?

Hope to hear from you!

Thanks!:lol:

CY
Attached Images

tchuanye is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 16, 2004, 4:21 AM   #2

The DMW-FL28 can't have any "special features" for the FZ10 as the FZ10 does not have a dedicated hotshoe, and there is no communication between the flash and the camera, apart from the trigger.

So there is also no way for the changes toISO to be communicated automatically.

Nor can you mount it on the camera and "let the camera do the control". Apart from using the one preset for external flash that the FZ10 has, everything else has to be adjusted manually.

As such, you are much better off buying a cheaper, more powerful 3rd party flash that also most likely has additional features.
lawrencew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 16, 2004, 12:04 PM   #3

Is this the same case for the FZ-20?
bouncerbenji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 16, 2004, 3:13 PM   #4

yes
Old Aug 16, 2004, 10:54 PM   #5

lawrencew wrote:
Quote:
As such, you are much better off buying a cheaper, more powerful 3rd party flash that also most likely has additional features.

How do you know when anexternal flash can be used with digital cameras? The manual says: "If using other [than the DMW-FL28] external flash units, please make sure the flash is designed for use with a digital camera and the trigger voltage is based on ISO 10330 (less than 24 volts)"

I have access to two external flashes, most probably from the pre-digital age, which fit into the FZ10's hotshoe but I'm not sure if it is safe to use them since they're probably not "designed for use with a digital camera". How can I be sure about it? What is the best way to meassure the trigger voltage?

Thanks in advance.

José A. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 17, 2004, 4:34 AM   #6

See the list here http://www.botzilla.com/photo/strobeVolts.html
Old Aug 17, 2004, 3:51 PM   #7

I've tested several flash units, some more than 20 years old. From that era, the contact voltage usually exceeded the spec we now use. While the flash didn't fire, it should be noted that no damage occurred.

Our FL-28 does have one neat feature where it can be triggered by another strobe. It's handy for using it as a fill in flash. However, please keep in mind that "pre-flash" used by many DSC's can trigger the FL28 too soon, resulting in a virtually black image.

All previous comments aboveregarding the FL-28 are correct. We selected this unit as a good match for the FZ10 / FZ20, but I see no reason why other models can't be used.
Panasonic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 20, 2004, 5:30 AM   #8

Bob,

Thanks for the reply!!!!!!:-).Appreciate that!

But I don't really understand your statement:

"Our FL-28 does have one neat feature where it can be triggered by another strobe. It's handy for using it as a fill in flash. However, please keep in mind that "pre-flash" used by many DSC's can trigger the FL28 too soon, resulting in a virtually black image."

How do you use it as a fill in flash? You mean I can use my camera in-built flast to trigger the FL28? And what is DSC?

Thanks!

Old Aug 20, 2004, 11:17 AM   #9

Yes, there is a "slave" mode. It has an integrated sensor that detects the flash from your primary flash. Again, "pre-flash" will prevent you from using this feature.
Panasonic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 20, 2004, 9:19 PM   #10

Bob,

Thanks for the help and advice!

CY