Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Aug 17, 2004, 2:10 PM   #1

I'm a real novice with my FZ-10, but I love it. I've learned ALOT from reading this forum. Aphoto savvy friend recommended that I "get a fliter to protect the lense." I did some online searching and found that Panasonic offers a DMW-LMC72 filter.What exactly is the DMW-LMC72?? How does it work, and what is it for??Where is the best/cheapest place to buy one??Thanks in advance everyone !! and GO CUBS.
chicagocub is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 17, 2004, 4:49 PM   #2

It looks like a UV or Skylight filter or maybe just a protective filter for the fz10.

http://www.digitalfotoclub.com/sc/pr...p?id=964594534

9.3 rating at resellers.com for digitalfotoclub.com

Suzan
ImKayd1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 17, 2004, 4:54 PM   #3

This is a must have to protect the lens. Any 72 mm UV filter will work as long as the hood is mounted. I got mine from the local camera shop for $20.00 or so. The question is however, do you remove it when you shoot indoors?

I don't know about the Cubs......and not to start anything, but the Yankees are where it is at.
Rookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 17, 2004, 5:38 PM   #4

chicagocub wrote:
Quote:
I'm a real novice with my FZ-10, but I love it. I've learned ALOT from reading this forum. Aphoto savvy friend recommended that I "get a fliter to protect the lense." I did some online searching and found that Panasonic offers a DMW-LMC72 filter.What exactly is the DMW-LMC72?? How does it work, and what is it for??Where is the best/cheapest place to buy one??Thanks in advance everyone !! and GO CUBS.
Depending on which school you would like to believe, a protection filter may not be necessary. One scholl of thought insists that one should protect the expensive lens at all cost because filter technology has been able to produce "good" filters that will not reduce image quality by much, while its opponents disagree and believe that any unnecessary extra class putting in front of the lens will affect the image quality. Choose the way you wish to believe. :-)

As for the 72mm filter, I would say that forget it because it violates BOTH thoughts. Keep in mind that the 72mm filter is mounted on the supplied lens hood, and, as a result, the gap between the lens front glass lement and the mounted filter is 1cm+. This means internal reflection is very likely in some shooting situation and you will get flare and unwanted image, even though you use a top-rated filter. See the "Lens Hood" page in the "On-Camera Lens" section of my FZ-10 user guide.

A better choise must make sure the gap between the filter and lens minimized. In this case, a specially made adapter tube would be needed. See the "Adapter Tubes" pages in "Converter Lenses" and "Filters" sections of my FZ-10 user guide for more details.

CK

http://www.cs.mtu.edu/~shene/DigiCam

Nikon Coolpix 950/990/995/2500/4500/5700 and Panasonic FZ-10 User Guides

shene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 18, 2004, 1:12 PM   #5

First of all, thanks alot to IMKayd1, Rookie, and shene for replying. I am a real novice, butreally enjoy myFZ-10 and learning more about it.

shene ... thanks for all of your input. Your site is GREAT!!! One question ... you seem to indicate that apermarall PD62mm or the Yoshida 55mm will fit the FZ-10. Is that correct ?? I would think that it has to be either 62mm OR a 55mm.Can you provide me with some direction re: wherecan I purchase either of these adapters??

Rookie ... If I'm not mistaken, the last time the Yankees played a series against the Cubs we beat the Yankees 2 games to 1. Geez .... you guys lost to the MARLINS in last years the World Series!! I'm confident that the Yankees will find a way to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory again this year.

GO CUBS !!!

Old Aug 18, 2004, 3:26 PM   #6

chicagocub:

At least we have a regular opportunity to play in the series.

But if we must exchange a few jabs, aren't the Cubsthe team with the fan who had to enteraprotection program for trying to catch a ball in the seats. And what is the story with the donkey anyway?

Sorry to get off the subject. I use the 72 mm UV filter on the panasonic hood without any lens flare. Shene is correct about lens flare, I just make sure I minimize the risk of it happening.

I shoot mostly outdoor sporting events. In the event that I can only shoot into the sun, I use a polarizing filter instead of the UV.

Old Aug 18, 2004, 4:44 PM   #7

Rookie .. Touche. I have to admit the Yankees do get to the Series on a regular basis. I grew up outside Boston, so I'm a RedSox fan. I live about 18 miles from Wrigley Field, so the Cubs are my NL team. At least you aren't a WhiteSox fan!! I actuallyown a Yankees domain name: NewYorkYankees1.com. I purchased it [for resale] because the Yankees have fans everywhere.But the Yankees pitching this year will be their downfall. Pitching is alsowhy I think if the Cubs make it as the wildcard, they have a chance to go all the way. By the way, the curse is becauseagoat [not a donkey] was refused admission into Wrigley Field many years ago.

Re the filters you use: 72mm UV and polarizing filter:where do you buy them?? Do you think a Ritz or Wolf camera would carry them??

Old Aug 18, 2004, 4:55 PM   #8

I got them at Wolf Camera.