Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Aug 26, 2004, 7:55 AM   #11

EffZeeOne wrote:
Quote:
Wish Bob would check in and settle this once and for all.
It doesn'tappear Bob know's any more than we do. I guess we will have to wait until someone actually gets/reviews an fz15.

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"Fred
fmoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 26, 2004, 9:45 AM   #12

From Amazon fz15 pre-order page here

Movie Mode
The DMC-FZ15K lets you shoot QuickTime Motion JPEG video at resolutions up to 320 x 240 pixels with sound.
fmoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 26, 2004, 11:11 AM   #13

Bob has made it quite clear in a couple of post that the mic on the FZ15 is only for Still image annotations. This means that it will not record sound with video. This is stated no less than 6 times in the FZ15 manual that can be downloaded from Panasonic's website:

http://service.us.panasonic.com/OPERMANPDF/DMCFZ15.PDF
DunlopKR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 26, 2004, 12:05 PM   #14

Doesn't seem "quite clear" to me or anyone else I've seen chatting about it on the various message boards.If you're referring to Bob's replies above in this same thread, then I stand on my original assessment -- it's about as clear as mud. Is it too much to ask that the following questions be given a simple and conclusive yes or no answer?
  1. Does the FZ15 have an audio dubbing feature for still shots? Y or N [/*]
  2. Does the FZ15 record audio in video mode? Y or N
[/*]
The actual FZ15 specs on the Panasonic website somewhat disagree with what you got out of reading the manual. And what doesn't disagree is vague. Here's the relevant quotes:
  1. Motion Image (Quicktime Motion JPEG): 30 or 10fps (320x240 pixels) [/*]
  2. Still Image Recording with Audio: No[/*]
So, we're back to clear as mud. Bob says the microphone is only for still shots, but the specs say the FZ15 doesn't offer that feature. There's no mention in the specs of the video mode recording audio.This definitely isn't my definition of "quite clear".

I guess we'll have to wait until someone actually has one in-hand, although I've yet to see anyone selling them-- only the FZ3 and FZ20. Sort of strange that the FZ15 is a "USA-only" camera yet the "world" cameras that are part of the same release group make it to our market first. More mud...no sign of clearing any time soon.

---------------

Chris
http://www.FZ-Club.com

EffZeeOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 26, 2004, 5:40 PM   #15

Based on what I have read in the FZ15 operating manual, the answer to both questions is "NO". There is no mention of audio dubbing of still pictures or motion pictures with audio anywhere in the manual. While the FZ20 manual has specific references (sections) to both of these, the FZ15 manual skips over these sections. Also, in the back of each manual in "Specifications" and under "Recording File Format", the FZ20 lists Picture with audio and Quicktime Motion JPEG (motion images with audio), wheras the FZ15 lists only Quicktime Motion JPEG (motion images without audio). Under "Interface" the FZ20 lists Analog video/audio and the FZ15 lists Analog video only. And last but not least, under "Names of the Components", (page 10 in both manuals,) the drawing of the FZ20 has a number and line pointing to the two holes nerxt to the AF light and lists "microphone". The drawing of the FZ15 has the same two little holes in the case, but there is no number/line pointing to the holes or the word microphone listed anywhere. No mic, no audio!

I've got both the FZ15 & FZ10 on preorder with a large local electronics store (same prices as CC). Delivery first half of September. Their 5 day refund/30 day credit return policy works for me. I'll know by day three which one is going back. I won't miss the audio for I have it on my Sony camera and never use it and have an excellent camcorder and I'll never use the flash hot shoe. Many of these early FZ20 pictures, show me what I need to do in the way of comparison tests with the two cameras. In the meantime it's read & wait & read & wait. Take care!

red.kiosk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 26, 2004, 10:48 PM   #16

Hey Red,

What's the best price you've found for the FZ15? Is this an online retailer?

Brian
banderson317 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 27, 2004, 7:15 AM   #17

It's a very large electronics store here in Chicago. Although they have an online site, (www.abtelectronics.com) the new Panasonic cameras are not listed yet. I contacted their Panasonic buyer who placed a pre-order for me. FZ20 - $539, FZ15 - $439. I've bought all my electronic from them, so… good purchase history = good price. I just need to fiqure out an extensive 3-4 day comparison test before delivery. If there's considerably less noise, I'll be keeping the FZ15 and taking the FZ20 back.

Jim
red.kiosk is offline   Reply With Quote