Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Aug 20, 2004, 8:07 AM   #1

ladies and gentlemen...please don't get me wrong here. even Steve mentioned it here that Panasonic is not interested with firmware upgrade of FZ10. so what Panasonic did was to release the FZ20. but FZ20 has still so many things to improve to make it near the perfect ultra zoom camera. FZ10/20 has a very roomy body but i can't understand why Panasonic can't put 4 AA batteries in it. Panasonic is I think the very first battery manufacturer to producethe 3000mAh NiMH AA batteries and yet Panasonic doesn't want to use it in its FZ series. Maybe Panasonic doesn't trust its own battery product that's why it opted to a proprietary battery for its FZ series. Actually, I have those 3000mAh NiMH AA Panasonic batteries. And based on experience, it drains faster than the Sanyo 2300mAh. the most shameful act that Panasonic did, IMO, is putting the same crap EVF that it did to FZ10. I can't believe Panasonic can't makebetter EVF or even just match the EVF of Olympus C750 when in fact Panasonic is one of the best manufacturer of electronic devices. maybe i have to wait for FZ90 or FZ100 just to get those features which other brands have been using for a couple of years already. the only reason why i still keep waiting that someday Panasonic may produce the FZ version with those features is that Leica lens that Panasonic is using. :sleep:

spectator is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 20, 2004, 9:39 AM   #2

The "perfect" ultra zoom will never be produced because people have different opinions and wishes. I like the battery used in the FZ10 as it lasts long, is light and can be quickly changed. Also the EVF has good resolution (much better than my Oly C2100uz "Uzi") the only problem is it darkens when using an external flash in manual mode. The FZ10 is a great camera for the money I think.

Keep dreaming about your "perfect" FZ90 while I have fun (and great results) with my FZ10!
Klaas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 20, 2004, 10:30 AM   #3

Do other brands havesuperior digicam already? Don't think so right? So wait long long!!!

Me love my Lumix.
LifeWorld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 20, 2004, 10:49 AM   #4

Using 4 "aa" cells will only give you 4.8v Given the fact that power consumption is a constant, using a higher voltage, such as 7.2, willextend the battery life. In this situation, 6 "aa" cells adds to much weight and bulk. I recognize and appreciatewhy you are suggesting it, but it's unlikely to occur.
Panasonic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 20, 2004, 12:14 PM   #5

I don't understand why people want AA batteries in a digicam. Everyone knows that digicams oops the life out of batteries, so why would you want to use anything other than a powerful, no-memory Lithium battery? NiMH batteries are typically less powerful (especially per size),have a memory, and if they're not charged and discharged properly, you won't get a good life out of the battery. Alkaline batteries are uselessexcept maybe in emergencies, but emergencies can be easily negated with just a little planning. The proprietary Panasonic battery is soooooo much smaller than 4 AA batteries, and since it would probably require 6 AA's to operate the FZ line, there's really no comparison at all. Also, have you checked the price of a 6 AA NiMH batteries lately? You'll probably end up paying more for the AA's than for a 3rd party battery designed for the FZ cameras.

Panasonic is a big company -- I doubt the digicam part even knows (or cares) that Panasonic's battery department came out with 3000mah NiMH AA batteries. It's also a little confusing when you ask why Panasonic doesn't trust it's own batteries and then almost in the same sentence say that don't perform well anyway. I think you're answering your own questions. But it's all moot anyway -- Panasonic does trust it's own batteries -- it's Lithium ones. (haha)

I vote for keeping the Lithium batteries. If you want to use AA's, just get an aftermarket battery add-on thing to use in emergencies (when you haven't planned well).

---------------

Chris
www.FZ-Club.com

EffZeeOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 20, 2004, 5:25 PM   #6

Disagree on the batteries - L-ion batteries have many advantages over NiMH AA IMHO. That was a big + for me with the FZ10.

Agree on the EVF - poor resolution in this day and age when something like the Minolta A2 can offer 900K+
Makes manual focusing difficult - too often something that looks sharp in the viewfinder still ends up soft when you inspect the image.
That the FZ20 hasn't improved this is a disappointment.
lawrencew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 21, 2004, 12:09 AM   #7

just to share my experience with AA batteries....

* 4 pieces 2300mAh Sanyo AA batteries on Olympus C750 = 180++ 2.0MP pictures taken with red-eye flashON all the time, with flash ON all the time, with LCD ON all the time and without turning OFF the power between shots. is that bad for AA battery which cost only less than USD 3.0 per piece and can be recharged for about a thousand times? Btw, Panasonic 3000mAh AA batteries can last only up to around 120+ shots.

if you take a longtrip or adventurein placewhere there's no electric power to recharge those li-ion batteries, NiMH AAis the most practical way to do it because it is cheap.

Old Aug 21, 2004, 12:25 AM   #8

EffZeeOne wrote:
Quote:
I don't understand why people want AA batteries in a digicam. Everyone knows that digicams oops the life out of batteries, so why would you want to use anything other than a powerful, no-memory Lithium battery? NiMH batteries are typically less powerful (especially per size),have a memory, and if they're not charged and discharged properly, you won't get a good life out of the battery.
are you aware that most of NiMH battery chargers now have a'refresher' feature that can discharge and recharge the used batteries almost 100%of its full capacity? sanyo and sony have varieties of NiMH battery chargers that can make your NiMH AA rechargeable batteries good enough for digicam requirements.

Quote:
Keep dreaming about your "perfect" FZ90 while I have fun (and great results) with my FZ10!
Panasonic could have easily converted me and many thousands more out there to shift from other brands if FZ20 had already implemented the features i wished for. For the mean time (...while waitng for FZ90 or FZ100), I'll stick with my Olympus C750.
Old Aug 21, 2004, 12:49 AM   #9

If they make too many improvements now, no one will want next years model

Seriously though, for the price, I think we have already been given a lot. And I am willing to settle for a lower res EVF if it will save me $50. I am sure a lot of people wouldn't agree, but that is my opinion.

I wouldn't be surprised if next years FZwhatever will have a nice high res EFV, because by that time, every other camera will have it.

And i don't mind too much about the proprietary battery, it makes it weigh a good bit less, makes the camera smaller, and probably makes it last longer per charge (I don't know if that last one is correct or not).

What would be nice is a propietary battery in the shape of a AA, so the camera could use both (even if it only held one AA, it would be useful for those times when you reall really need that shot, and your LithIon battery just died). I wonder if that could work at all...

Anyway, I am still happy with my FZ10, it does everthing I want it to do.
blinblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 21, 2004, 1:02 AM   #10

blinblue wrote:
Quote:
If they make too many improvements now, no one will want next years model
but that would also mean that Panasonic can sell more today and not in the UNcertain future.

"And i don't mind too much about the proprietary battery, it makes it weigh a good bit less, makes the camera smaller, and probably makes it last longer per charge (I don't know if that last one is correct or not)"

sanyo super quick AA charger can charge 4 AA NiMH batteries in 155 minutes and 2 pieces of AA in 60 minutes.

"What would be nice is a propietary battery in the shape of a AA, so the camera could use both (even if it only held one AA, it would be useful for those times when you reall really need that shot, and your LithIon battery just died). I wonder if that could work at all..."

samsung digimax V series can use up to 9 types of batteries.

i don't think that the weight is an issue. DSLRs are big and heavy plus you put external flash on them but nobody complains about the weights. FZ's are not for dwarf people so why make weight an issue? besides, we are not speaking here of metric tons of weight, we are speaking here of grams, so what's the big deal?