Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Aug 22, 2004, 1:11 PM   #1

I am going to be taking pictures at a wedding and I bought an inexpensive hotshoe flash that angles. The ceilings are high and I've been advised to angle the flash up, then attach a white card to reflect it back to spread the light in such a manner that it isn't harsh. Has anyone tried this? I'm looking for some detailed instructions on how to do it and I need help fast. I also understand there is something made to do this which I would be willing to buy but I need it for my practice shoot at the church on Thursday.
Bird Lady of Hudson is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 22, 2004, 5:51 PM   #2

I have seen our photographer at work do something similar to what you are describing. If your external flash is pointed straight up, take an index card and place it on backside of the flash (opposite the subject matter), and extend it a couple of inches above the flash. Then secure it with some rubber bands.

This allows most of the light to still travel upwards and bounce off the ceiling. A small amount of light will bounce off the index card and light the subject from eye level acting like a soft fill flash.
Good luck.
SkyPirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 22, 2004, 6:27 PM   #3

Thanks for the reply.

I just tried the flash out at the location where the reception is being held. The ceiling is done in large white ceiling tiles and I had no luck what so ever with the light bouncing off of it. I tried with the flash straight up and angled upward.

The hot shoe flash insisted on setting the ISO at 100 and nothing turned out. The best shots I took were on automatic settings with the built in flash:sad:
Old Aug 23, 2004, 1:02 AM   #4

Some of the flash, like the Nikon flashes, have a built in card you could pull out from the flash.

I've used the Nikon SB-28DX over the weekend recently to take a few wedding shot and it came out great.

You should angle flash 180 degres having it pointing straight up and pull that card out. Since the Panasonic only have the hotshoe and can't use the TTL, it tends to send the full straight out on the flash.

WIth that, if you are using a Nikon SB-28DX (or something similar) set the flash to use 2.8 appeture @ 35mm or less zoom function. On the panasonic, by default, the minute you stick a flash on it, it will lock the apeture of the panasonic to 2.8 by 60 shuttle speed. So if you have any other settings on the flash, it will be too bright or too dark.

smilepak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 23, 2004, 1:20 PM   #5

Thats useful to know, thanks. The flash I have has its own meter so it can cut off the flash when IT sees the right amount of light coming back. (Its an old Minolta which means I can't use it on a MK Zx) Now if Pan. just used regular batteries instead of the propritary ones. <sigh> All the camera's I've looked at have one "Oh why did they do THAT" or another.
Bill
wmussatto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 25, 2004, 4:37 PM   #6

Thank you for the input, I really appreciate it.