Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Aug 23, 2004, 8:48 AM   #1

ive heard these two mentioned, but when are they due or are the rumours true about these coming out?
JoeB_UK is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 23, 2004, 8:53 AM   #2

Probably just about as soon as people have got used to their FZ20s, complained here aboutthe flaws and minor niggles, and then Panasonic will release the FZ30 to fix them :-)
lawrencew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 23, 2004, 9:02 AM   #3

lol! there are supposed to be many faults with the 20 then?
Old Aug 23, 2004, 4:39 PM   #4

Well, AFAIK, the first FZ20 actually arrived into a customer's hands today.

So no doubt we will hear soon enough if there are.

FYI, I don't think there are any real rumours of a FZ30/40/whatever. It is more a case of people just purely speculating that another camera will follow as sure as night is day, and an obvious guess of the name would be progression from 10>20>30.

Track record wise, I wouldn't expect to see the FZ20 replaced until next year. So buy one and enjoy it now.
lawrencew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 23, 2004, 5:30 PM   #5

ok cool! i have until may next year till i need it really (tennis time) so ill wait until the price drops but researcing now
Old Aug 24, 2004, 9:43 AM   #6

I'm the guy that said it was too early in the product cycle to replace the FZ10. I maintained that prescient position up to about three days before Panasonic announced the FZ20 ...

So now, in my more humble opinion, Panasonic seems on the path similar to other manufacturers, e.g., Canon and their video cams, who put out new models of the same camera nearly every year. The result will probably be minor, yearly upgrades and improvements but nothing major year-to-year. Evolutionary, not revolutionary.

So maybe Fall '05...unless they don't :?

john

jmgiv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 24, 2004, 12:40 PM   #7

I may have been the one who mentioned the FZ30 and FZ40 in a post. If it was me,I have no knowledge of what Panasonic will do next. I made them up toillustrate the point that the digital camera industry is ever changing.

I have been around computers most of my life. The first one I had was a Commador 64, then an IBM with two 5 1/4 floppies, then the XT, next the AT, 286, 386, 486, pentium, pentium II, pentium III, pentium IV (don't forget the whole AMD line also)...... etc. Just about every year there was a significant minor upgrade and every 2 years the whole game changed. When I bought my 486, the pentium obsoleted it in no time. Boy, was I depressed running an old clinker at 2 months old!

I see this very same thing happening with cameras. The whole industry is at best in thepre-teen stage. They are coming close to being able to do most things (consumer level, not pro), but still have not matured enough.

I was only refering to the idea that the next plateau for digital cameras will be a whole new ball game. Sorry for any confusion.
Rookie is offline   Reply With Quote