Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Aug 26, 2004, 7:01 PM   #11

I think this is the only proper way to measure the resolution of a camera, correct me if I'm wrong:

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/canons1is/page8.asp

Klaas
Klaas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 26, 2004, 7:10 PM   #12

Lin Evans wrote:
Quote:
Quote:
I would like to see 3 identical portrait shots taken from a tripod (turn OIS off), one taken by the FZ10 and 2 by the FZ20, one without and one with in-camera noise reduction.
Unfortunately, I won't be able to help you with portrait shots because I have no subjects or models. I can take landscapes, wildlife, Gretag McBeth color charts, art objects, etc., but I don't do portraits and am not set up to be of any help in that department.
Lin, maybe you can try to shoot something else with a lot of fine detail in it? Hairs of a brush, a head of a horseor something like that might do. Pleasetake them outside without flash.

Klaas
Old Aug 26, 2004, 8:07 PM   #13

Quote:
Sorry, I mis read your post but how did you measure the higher resolution? Did you use a resolution chart? Klaas
Hi Klaas,

Yes,my resolution comparisons were done by photographing a resolutionchart and I will post the full sized image comparisons tomorrow when I get back to my office.

I'll see if it's possible to get some representative image comparisons with things like hair, but photographing my horses would likely be an exercise in futility, at least as far as getting anything in the way of similar shots between frames and with the different cameras. Probably it would be better if someone else who is set up for studio portraits does the comparisons because it would be difficult at best to discern colors, etc., from images of my livestock :-)

Lin
Lin Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 26, 2004, 9:41 PM   #14

Where did you all find a Panasonic FZ20 online?
photodog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 26, 2004, 10:01 PM   #15

photodog wrote:
Quote:
Where did you all find a Panasonic FZ20 online?
You can find it here: http://tinyurl.com/3swj6
Old Aug 27, 2004, 12:01 PM   #16

Hey All, First of all, These pictures were only to give you some idea of what results I got bearing in mind I was using manual focusing without using the OIS stabalisation. Basically, I wanted to let others know that I feel I had a camera problem so they could watch and see if this was happening with other users before rushing out and buying one. I tried using OIS and auto focus but when I reviewed them on the LCD I could see they were a bit out of focus so I swtched to manual focus and turned off OIS because I was using a monopod. Tripod wasnt an option here. Panasonic as well as other OIS capable cameras recommend turning off OIS when using a tripod. I felt I was similiarly steady using the monopod. I think most of these are soft. Of course, manually focusing using the LCD is not exact. Some of the softness could be my fault. I can only compare to past FZ10 pics using manual focus. A couple duck shots are sharp enough and would be nice after some processing. I took a couple of hundred shots and these were the best of the bunch. Some were culled from burst mode. These were all taken using ISO of 80. Shutter at 1/500 sec.(except my dog was at 1/60 and the macro was whatever).Picture size of 2560X1920 at Fine Quality. Most of the ducks were at F2.8 or F3.3... The gull at F4.7 to F5.2. I generally use spot metering selecting an area giving me the desired exposure then framing my subject but in this case tried both spot and center weighted. I did try the multiple metering mode later but none of those pictures were acceptable due to sharpness. Not that the metering mode had anything to do with it. I generally use spot focusing as well, or 1 area focusing. I generally dont use multiple area focusing because I usually focus on the eyes or want the center of the picture in focus. I did use burst mode for some and chose the best. If possible, I generally use the lowest ISO, 80 in this case and F5.6. and always at the highest quality not including Tiff or Raw. I make shutter and aperture adjustments IF needed or as needed for the desired result. I was new to smugmug and the option was chosen to allow exif data so I dont know why it doesnt show. I reduced the size to 1024X768 before uploading them. Maybe this has something to do with it but it seems to me I posted on PBASE before the same way and the exif data was apparent. Sorry. On reflection and comparison now.... even though these were manually focused without OIS I still feel there might be a slight bit more noise and softness with the FZ20 but I myself wont decide until I get a fully operational camera. Contrary to one comment here, The focusing in automatic was very unacceptable. Not operational error on my part. Focusing in manual I take full responsability for though and admit some of the softness could be on my part. Using the LCD for focusing is not exactly precise for me. And I do tend to be shaky. Thats one of the main reasons I wanted the FZ20... it is supposed to have a greatly improved stabalisation. If I get the time to find out I will try and get the exif data to show on future posts either here or at PBASE though I dont know when that will be. I still look forward to the FZ20 being close to or as good as the FZ10 or even better than the FZ10 in some respects such as chromatic abberation. Time will tell. I will be interested to hear what "Steve" has to say and DPREVIEW. Thanks to all for your comments and I am glad some of you liked the results. Dave
superzoom is offline   Reply With Quote