Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Sep 2, 2004, 1:55 PM   #21

Unfortunately, Panorama Factory runs only on Windows, (I run OS X), so I can't do the try-out. (I know it can run on VirtualPC, but at work I support a bunch of Windows machines, so I don't really like using Windows when I need to get any work done. No offense to anybody, XP and 2000 are decent systems, I just like OS X better.)

I might have to try out the ArcSoft's Panorama Maker, since now I know a bit more about Photoshop's limitations. (Barrel distortion, focal point, etc.) I see that they're on version 3, so I might have to invest into that.

Steve, you're right about it being addictive, one can make some very impressive shots with some practice and good software.

Thanx for all the input, and smilepak, we want to see some of your shots when you get them stitched!

tmoldovan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 2, 2004, 3:51 PM   #22

Cool thanks. This has been a great discussion. The shot I had taken was at a Chinese Garden in Portand, OR. I'll try to see if I could stitch it together this weekend and post it up.

--Kevin
smilepak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 2, 2004, 11:23 PM   #23

Tibor ---

Sorry, didn't know that you had OS X and I also didn't think about Panorama Factory being strictly for Windows. However, there are some other good pano software programs out there, I was doing a little checking and here is one of the best ones available for Mac --- Panoweaver; you can download the trial version here ---

http://www.easypano.com/download/00/...r/24/downloads

There's a listing of other pano software (and ratings) at this website ---

http://www.panoguide.com/products/

The reviews look like they're about 3 years old so some of the programs may not exist anymore, technology being what it is, but at least it's a starting place. The site also has a review of the ArcSoft Panorama Maker. As Paul said, you'd be better off with a dedicated pano program if you really want tothem to look their best.

And yes, Kevin (aka smilepak), make sure you post your Portland pano for us when ready, ok? :-)

Steve

sdwsp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 8, 2004, 2:52 PM   #24

I tried using the demo program and use the wizard to merge it, didn't come out too great. Pretty warp out

I'll post the individal picture to see if anyone could get it to work. I'll have by this weekend.

I'll take a picture of my backyard sometime tomorrow to see if I could get it to merge before the demo runs out.
smilepak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 9, 2004, 10:44 PM   #25

Kevin ---

How many pics did you try to stitch together? 5, perhaps 6, seems to be optimal and if your pano is so big that it is a curved scene in real life, then you will have warping problems as the software tries to turn it into a flat panorama. Try taking a pic or 2 out on either end and see if it blends better. Yes, the Panorama Factory is great, but there is a learning curve....the online tutorials are helpful.

Best Wishes,

Steve

http://trailhiker.smugmug.com/
sdwsp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 10, 2004, 12:13 PM   #26

tmoldovan mentioned he meters the holds shutter halfway to do all pictures?

i am a little confused, i would like to try a pano shot tonight of detroit skyline, but not to sure how to set up the take the shot so theat everything is the same, i will have a mini tripod with me...

klaas mentioned lock focus and exposure in manual. So this is what i am going to ry, i will take 1 picture in automatic, to see what the camera pics for F rate, and apeture, then i will set this in manual, focus using the focus ring and take shots of the detroit skyline overloapping a bit.

is that going to work?

also on a mini tripod do you turn off IS

thanks

belz
Belz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 10, 2004, 12:25 PM   #27

If you don't mind me saying, I think you are making this task unnecessarily complicated. Leave the camera set in automatic mode. You don't need a tripod unless the light is insufficient and you want to prevent camera shake.

Start shooting from left to right. Overlap each shot approximately 25%. More is no problem, less might be a problem. Assure that the horizon point is more or less centered vertically. It doesn't have to be precise, just do the best you can.

Then use a software program like Panorama Factory, and it willtake care ofthe rest.

Somehave said that you don't want to have too many component pictures making the panorama. I don't agree. Take however many you need.

See: http://www.pbase.com/paulmj/image/32635427

This panorama was made hand-held using the FZ10, using a telephoto setting, on a moving ship, and there were approximately 15 pictures that were taken, from left to right.

Here is another one, approximately 20 pictures.

http://www.pbase.com/paulmj/image/32635650

Panorama Factory is a very capable package sold at a reasonable price. The even have a 30-day try-out for free. What do you have to lose?

paulmj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 10, 2004, 2:05 PM   #28

thanks paul, i will try and experiment tonight and see what i get, i like to take the shot at sunset, so it will be low light, i have my camera set at iso50 , saturation, shaprness and other set to low, so all pictures are underexposed on purpose so photpshop can fix then. so perhaps the mini tripod is needed, would you turn off IS mode completely on a tripod?

I'll try both and see what happens...

later

Belz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 10, 2004, 3:02 PM   #29

Since digital film is "free" :-) why not take pictures of the front of your house or the street or anything else just to play with it? When you feel comfortable with it all, then you can more purpose-driven. In other words, K.I.S.S.
paulmj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 10, 2004, 10:43 PM   #30

sdwsp wrote:
Quote:
Kevin ---

Yes, the Panorama Factory is great, but there is a learning curve....the online tutorials are helpful.

Yes, they usually are! do you know where can we find some of them?

Thanks-a-lot.
José A. is offline   Reply With Quote