Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Aug 27, 2004, 2:11 AM   #1

When manually setting the white balance does the FZ10 retain those settings? Or do I need to do it again each time I turn on the camera? I'm going to be taking pictures at a wedding on Saturday and I really don't want to have to go through that every time I turn on the camera.

Has anyone had good luck with the white balance setting? I will have good light in the church but not the reception.
Bird Lady of Hudson is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 27, 2004, 7:34 AM   #2

It retains the manual WB setting even after you have switched to another setting for taking some daylight pictures. It does not change untill you re-calibrate it.

Klaas
Klaas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 27, 2004, 9:47 AM   #3

2 question?

so since i just got my camera last week, i've been doing multiple test of all the features, one is white balance. i put the camera lense in front of a white object in low light condition and pressed the shutter. i took some pictures in manual and so on.

So Klass if conditions changes like the next day in good lighting i should reset a white balance before shooting in Manual?

Right now i mostly shoot in preset modes and automatic so is white balance that i set in manual going to effect auto functions also?

thanks

belz

Belz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 27, 2004, 10:09 AM   #4

Belz, I only use manual WB indoors under artificial light, in daylight I use a preset or trust on auto WB.

Every time the conditions change (different light cource) you have to re-adjust the manual WB.

Manual WBdoes not change the auto settings.

Klaas

Old Aug 27, 2004, 11:06 AM   #5

That makes a lot of sense, thank you Klaas.

I've been taking a lot of test shots and I make my notes but I have a hard time matching up the pictures to the notes. Do you know of a good way of doing that? I wish we would see the picture number in the view finder along with the numbers of shots left, that would make this so much easier.
Old Aug 27, 2004, 12:26 PM   #6

klass, again thanks for your input, i learn lots from you.

So let me ask you some more questions.

1. Do you always use only Manual settings to take any/all indoor pictures under artificial light?

2. The white balance thing, do you use a plain white business card and take the picture of that to set the WB, and also i guess the viewfinder must be completly filled of this white object(business card) also?

3. i read in here or dpreview forum about using a 18%grey card? confused, the person mentioned koday grey card? to set White balance....is that really needed....what do you use to set your WB.

again thanks for all your imput.
Belz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 27, 2004, 12:42 PM   #7

Bird Lady of Hudson wrote:
Quote:
That makes a lot of sense, thank you Klaas.

I've been taking a lot of test shots and I make my notes but I have a hard time matching up the pictures to the notes. Do you know of a good way of doing that? I wish we would see the picture number in the view finder along with the numbers of shots left, that would make this so much easier.

If you use good picture viewing software like ACDSee you can read the EXIF info that comes with every image, it contains all settings you used while taking that shot.
Old Aug 27, 2004, 12:51 PM   #8

Belz wrote:
Quote:
klass, again thanks for your input, i learn lots from you.

So let me ask you some more questions.

1. Do you always use only Manual settings to take any/all indoor pictures under artificial light?

2. The white balance thing, do you use a plain white business card and take the picture of that to set the WB, and also i guess the viewfinder must be completly filled of this white object(business card) also?

3. i read in here or dpreview forum about using a 18%grey card? confused, the person mentioned koday grey card? to set White balance....is that really needed....what do you use to set your WB.

again thanks for all your imput.
Hi Belz, here are your answers:

1 - Yes, it takes little time to shoot a WB shot and manual WB is superior to the auto settings (by far).

2 - I always cary a plain piece of white printer paper in my bag for this and keep it some 20cm in front of the lens while making the WB shot. You can also use a white wall or ceiling for this purpose. the white object has to be frame filling.

3 - You don't need a grey card, a white piece of paper will do the job.

Klaas Bloem
Old Aug 27, 2004, 3:07 PM   #9

Klaas you said:

Quote:
If you use good picture viewing software like ACDSee you can read the EXIF info that comes with every image, it contains all settings you used while taking that shot.
I use that feature all the time, it's been very helpful in my on-going education in photography. I've tried some pictures without flash, others with flash, some with a hotshoe flash on auto, and others set for close while others are set for far. I have also been testing the different flash settings with the white balance set on auto, manually set and without either one of them.

Unfortunately the white balance and the different hot shoe flash settings are not coming up that way.... hence my frustration.
Old Aug 27, 2004, 10:54 PM   #10

Klaas, can you tell me how to re-calibrate it?

Also can anyone tell me, when manually setting the white balance in a dimly lit room do you set it for the dimly lit room? Or is there some way of setting it for the flash?

I took test pictures today and they came out blue. They did clean up with editing software but I'd rather get it right the first time.