Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Aug 28, 2004, 10:42 AM   #1

Hi people,

I am about to buy a TCON-14B and have the offer of a WCON-8B as well.

I am not sure why I would want one, could anyone give me a good reason!

TimS
simpoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 28, 2004, 10:57 AM   #2

The reason I ask is that I figure that it would be mainly for landscape type photos. If that is the case is'nt it better to use a panorama program, thus using more pixels for the final image,rather than compressinga larger field of view onto the 4MP CCD.

Please tell me if I'm missing the point.

TimS
Old Aug 28, 2004, 4:51 PM   #3

simpoman wrote:
Quote:
I am about to buy a TCON-14B and have the offer of a WCON-8B as well.
I am not sure why I would want one, could anyone give me a good reason!
If you frequently feel the 35mm on your FZ-10 is not wide enough, causing you to step back, then you need a wide angle lens. In addition to WCON-08B, the WCON-07 is also a very good one and perhaps cheaper. See the "Converter Lenses" section of my FZ-10 user guide for more details.

Pano and wide angle are not mutually exclusive. You can also use wide angle for pano and in doing so fewer shots are needed. Whether pano or wide should be used boils down to the basic question: your vision.

CK

http://www.cs.mtu.edu/~shene/DigiCam

Nikon Coolpix 950/990/995/2500/4500/5700 and Panasonic FZ-10 User Guides

shene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 28, 2004, 6:01 PM   #4

thanks shene, I have visited your excellent guide a few times, that was what sent me down the olympus convertor route.

I like the idea of a WCON-07, but I believe it is a 55mm mount. I really dont want to be carrying multiple lens' and adaptors around. I also need to source the adaptors which does not seem very straightforward from the UK! I dont really need the WCON, its just a good deal.

Thanks for your thoughts

TimS
Old Aug 29, 2004, 9:09 PM   #5

Be reminded, the zoom is gone with WCON on. The FZ10 will become a heavy prime lens. You'll get so pisxed off when you have to remove and attach the WCON serveral times during a trip, missing all the precious moments.
fz_10user is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 5, 2005, 2:18 AM   #6

simpoman wrote:
Quote:
The reason I ask is that I figure that it would be mainly for landscape type photos. If that is the case is'nt it better to use a panorama program, thus using more pixels for the final image,rather than compressinga larger field of view onto the 4MP CCD.

Please tell me if I'm missing the point.

TimS
I'm new to this forum and photography. Just catching up on old posts. Sorry for the late reply.

I used to own a Canon G2 and the native panaromic scene would lock in all the exposure, focal lenth settings as you take consecutive frames. With FZ20 (which I just got), there isn't native panaromic support that I know of. Is there an "easy" way to mimic the panaromic scene as in G2?

If I can, I don't see why I'd need a wide angle. My Canon G2 seems to do the job quite well. In fact, I can use panaromic shots to capture 360 degrees.
RayYong is offline   Reply With Quote