Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Aug 30, 2004, 5:59 PM   #1

hi

i got myself a nikon 5700

but i was looking at the panasonic fz1 at 2mill pix as a second cam since i only print up to 4x6 would i get the same results as my nikon

sorry for askin as im new to this digi cam game thank you
hotdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 30, 2004, 7:17 PM   #2

hotdog wrote:
Quote:
hi

i got myself a nikon 5700

but i was looking at the panasonic fz1 at 2mill pix as a second cam since i only print up to 4x6 would i get the same results as my nikon

sorry for askin as im new to this digi cam game thank you
Hotdog, the FZ1 willgive you 4x6 prints comparable with those from your Nikon 5700 but be warned, working with big-zoom cameras can be very addictive! You will probably find yourself buying a FZ10/20 in no time while your pour Nikon is sitting on the shelf collecting dust.:-)

Regards, Klaas Bloem

Some of my pictures can be seen at:
http://klaas-bloem.fotopic.net/
Klaas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 30, 2004, 9:05 PM   #3

I have a Nikon 5700 and I would say in terms of picture quality it trumps both the FZ1/2 and the FZ10 series. There is just no comparison in terms of clarity and noise. However, I did expect that... but for 4x6 pictures there is hardly ANY difference.

In defense of the FZ series, there are certain conditions where the Panasonic can take a decent picture and the Nikon can't (where the OIS kicks in). The FZ cameras are just alot of fun and offer you a great deal of flexibility with that great lens but just don't expect the same picture quality as a 5700. Again, it really doesn't make a difference in 4x6 prints.

The only caveat to that is that in my experience with the FZ 1/2 the flash is weak.
x10guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 31, 2004, 1:22 PM   #4

thanks guys for the advice
hotdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 31, 2004, 5:50 PM   #5

I have both the Nikon 5700 and the Panasonic FZ20. I love and enjoy both cameras but I use them for different types ofphotos. The Panasonic is great for sports because of it's remarkable lense and speed. It also takes better pictures in low light than the Nikon. The Nikon, however, produces amazing colorful pictures. I agree with x10guy, that printing 4x6 probably wouldn't matter as they both will do a great job. You just need to detemine what kind a photography you will be doing. You can't go wrong with either camera, but having that 432mm on the Panasonic is definately a benefit. I started with an Olympus 3040 and I just kept going bigger and better because I wanted the bigger lense. I think I found it with the Panasonic FZ20 and probably will no longer search for another camera again.
ctomaselli is offline   Reply With Quote