Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Aug 30, 2004, 10:01 PM   #1

Please do post if you find some stupendous pricing on the FZ1 or FZ10!

How much do you all actually use the manual controls and hot shoe on the FZ10?

How long will the FZ1s be available?

Do you think the FZ10s will get down as low as $350 anytime soon?

Thanks, one and all!
nmastae is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 31, 2004, 6:43 PM   #2

How low will FZ1 go i will buy a new one for $150
aghauri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 31, 2004, 8:07 PM   #3

The FZ1s are currently selling for around $300. I found one for $250 from a reputable on-line dealer the other day, but they were sold out and won't be getting any more in. I doubt the FZ1s will be available new much longer, so the price might not drop muchmore before they're gone.

What do other people think about this assesment?
Old Aug 31, 2004, 11:03 PM   #4

I have the FZ10 and shoot in manual mode almost exclusively, now that I've learned how to do it! It's only since I got the FZ10 in December 2003 that I've become more than a "point & shoot" photographer.

I don't use an external flash so the hotshoe isn't important to me. However, if you do a lot of indoor photography you will want one, thebuilt-in flash on the FZ1 & FZ10 is horrible.

flakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 1, 2004, 10:14 AM   #5

In the UK the FZ10 is virtually unobtainable now. So I don't expect to see any "sale" pricing. They have all been sold at regular price
lawrencew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 6, 2004, 3:23 PM   #6

Wolf Camera had an ad in Sunday's paper selling the FZ1 for $249 plus they give you some free stuff.
gwesto01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 6, 2004, 3:27 PM   #7

I saw that at Ritz, but where's the free stuff!

Please RSVP ASAP because I already ordered one from Ritz!

Thanks!

Old Sep 6, 2004, 8:46 PM   #8

It will be interesting to see what impact the price on the FZ1 and FZ10 will be with the introduction of the new models. I don't think you'll see the FZ-1 go as low as $150 - it's simply not a $150 camera, but $350-$400 might be in range with the FZ-10. I purchased my FZ-1 new with US warranty for $252 on eBay (no bid, used "Buy Now" from individual seller) in June. Also, of course, Pricescan it. Though you will likely see people dumping their FZ-1 and FZ-10's to pay for their upgrade, I personally wouldn't purchase a used digicam off an auction site, sight unseen, regardless of price. They usually go for at or around the lowest new price if you pricescan/mysimon/bizrate.com-it. Not worth the couple bucks you save, at all.

If you're not in a rush check out eBay and be patient. I saw an FZ10 recently go for $310, NIB, because the seller - a camera store going out of business, listed it incorrectly as the FZ1 on the auction page but its picture and specs were clearly that of the FZ10. So some lucky buyer got a new FZ10 for $310. I am happy with the FZ 1 and prefer its compact size, and reportedly less issues with noise, so I didn't bid but it was tempting. I think I got a great deal on my FZ1 but I was patient and persistent. Took about a month. As always, review feedback if using auction sites.

By the way, I absolutely love the FZ1. I upgraded the firmware to V2 for manual control. Perfect. You'll love the zoom and IS. Great choice. I print 6X4's and they're true photo-quality, plus its flat out fun.

While snobs may laugh, I bought a customer return Epson R 200 printer for $50 and paid $252 for the Lumix. My entire set-up cost $300 and change. I absolutely defy anyone to tell the difference between the pics I've taken with my budget set-up and a printer/digicam combo that cost $1000 more. It's true folly and camera snobbery. Do your homework, shop around, be patient, the "deal" will come. There's no magic to it.

Nick
NickTrop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 7, 2004, 1:37 PM   #9

This is a very very sad moment for me... if u had seen my previous posts, I am from Pakistan, have collected about $320, aqnd have been waiting for the last 5 months for the prices of FZ10 to drop to my price range...but now it seems I would never be able to get it. Some people gave me hopes that the prices would drop so much that I would have some money left to buy memory cards. I think I only have one option left, to buy a used camera. My dad is in Houston, Texas, he can buy it from there. He isn't into computers at all, so if it can be bought directly, it wud be great... he doesnt know much about cameras either, so it wudnt be that much possible to check if everything works perfectly, so the dealer needs to be a trusted one... any suggesstions about where shud it be bought from?? plz help... I have waited a lot with the hope that I would get a new camera, but.. anyway...

and yes... one more thing.. what do u think shud one keep in mind in buying a used FZ10? what shud be checked? how old shud it be? what shud be the price be of.. lets say.. a 6 month old FZ10?

rameezrazzak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 7, 2004, 1:48 PM   #10

rameezrazzak wrote:
Quote:

This is a very very sad moment for me... if u had seen my previous posts, I am from Pakistan, have collected about $320, aqnd have been waiting for the last 5 months for the prices of FZ10 to drop to my price range...but now it seems I would never be able to get it. Some people gave me hopes that the prices would drop so much that I would have some money left to buy memory cards. I think I only have one option left, to buy a used camera. My dad is in Houston, Texas, he can buy it from there. He isn't into computers at all, so if it can be bought directly, it wud be great... he doesnt know much about cameras either, so it wudnt be that much possible to check if everything works perfectly, so the dealer needs to be a trusted one... any suggesstions about where shud it be bought from?? plz help... I have waited a lot with the hope that I would get a new camera, but.. anyway...

and yes... one more thing.. what do u think shud one keep in mind in buying a used FZ10? what shud be checked? how old shud it be? what shud be the price be of.. lets say.. a 6 month old FZ10?
Quote: