Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Sep 4, 2004, 12:19 AM   #11

Lin,

In time, I'll likely end up with a DSLR, but I think I'll cut my teeth on a fixed-lens camera first. For some ofthe common reasons - size, cost (not sure if the hobby will "take") -I'm convinced a fixed-lens unit is the way to go for now and I'll have to accept its limitations.

I've snooped around stores and a couple camera forums for months and based on that and influenced by one of your earlier comments ("If there is a better low light camera at these extremes than the FZ10/FZ20 I've not seen it") I think I will pick up one of these two cameras and make the best of it.

Thanks for posting those photos and taking the time to compare the cameras and answer my questions.

- Stan
Stan_870 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 4, 2004, 1:02 PM   #12

I understand the difficulties with low level light autofocus. At zoom ranges AF lights won't help. So how effective is the manual focus. Does it magnify the center to when you are manually focusing? Is the EVF bright enough to manually focus?

Thanks. Bill
wmussatto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 4, 2004, 1:04 PM   #13

Hi Lin,

Could you post some shots taken with LOW, NORMAL and HIGH Noise Reduction??? I wanna know how this new feature works.

Accordint to your photographs, the FZ20 is ahighly recommendable DC,it allows youtoget sharp, colorful and very detailed pics, I noticedminor gripes, like a little barrel distorsionat the rigth bottom corner, but it isa common problem in all DC.

Thanksfor sharing your work.

fz10_user is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 4, 2004, 1:08 PM   #14

Hi Bill,

Yes, when using manual focus on the FZ20, the center portion is greatly magnified - considerably more than with the FZ10. It's quite sufficient providing you have decent light to get excellent manual focus. On the other hand, when you really "need" manual focus is in the event that lighting is such that you can't get a focus lock with autofocus. In such a case, because the EVF and LCD on the FZ20 have no brightness boost, you can't see well enough to use manual focus.

The bottom line is that this "feature" is great for accurately adjusting ISO, shutter speed, aperture, etc., because it's WYSIWYG (what you see is what you get), but when lighting is too low for autofocus to lock, it's of no use because you can't see well enough to adjust manual focus either. It would be nice if Panasonic would consider putting an ampliication circuit in which could be activated by switch so users could have the best of both worlds.

Lin
Lin Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 4, 2004, 1:14 PM   #15

Quote:
Could you post some shots taken with LOW, NORMAL and HIGH Noise Reduction??? I wanna know how this new feature works

I'll try go get some test shots that way next week - unfortunately today I have to do some gallery work so won't get an opportunity.

Best regards,

Lin
Old Sep 4, 2004, 1:49 PM   #16

Quote:
I'll try go get some test shots that way next week - unfortunately today I have to do some gallery work so won't get an opportunity.
Ok, I have to wait for it.

Additional questionregarding the FZ20.......... Is it possible to set shutter speed at 1/2000 with an aperture = 2.8 ???? because the FZ10 only allows me to take shots at 1/2000 with an aperture = 8.0 and the result is quite dark pics.

Thanks.

Arturo.
Old Sep 4, 2004, 2:18 PM   #17

Quote:
Additional question regarding the FZ20.......... Is it possible to set shutter speed at 1/2000 with an aperture = 2.8 ???? because the FZ10 only allows me to take shots at 1/2000 with an aperture = 8.0 and the result is quite dark pics.

Unfortunately, it's not possible. The manual possibilities for highest shutter speed with the FZ20 are:

F8 1/2000
F7.3 1/1600
F6.51/1600
F5.6 1/1600
F5.2 1/1300
F4.6 1/1300
F4.0 1/1300
F3.7 1/1000
F3.3 1/1000
F2.8 1/1000

Why this is so is a mystery to me - it would seem one would want to open the aperture to the max to use a speed of 1/2000th. This limits the high speed shutter to extremely bright situations such as full sun on the beach.

Lin
Old Sep 4, 2004, 2:27 PM   #18

Lin Evans wrote:
Quote:
Why this is so is a mystery to me - it would seem one would want to open the aperture to the max to use a speed of 1/2000th. This limits the high speed shutter to extremely bright situations such as full sun on the beach.

Lin
I think the Iris for setting the aperture double functions as a shutter so it takes more time when using a large aperture. I'm not sure though....

Regards, Klaas Bloem

Some of my pictures can be seen at:
http://klaas-bloem.fotopic.net/
Klaas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 4, 2004, 2:30 PM   #19

Thank you very much for your fast and useful reply.

All the best,

Arturo