Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Sep 9, 2004, 8:42 PM   #11

Think I am leaning your way too; though the sound issue is not a problem for me so going with the FZ15K would be a great step up from my Canon S1 IS, but the FZ20K is quite tempting.

Anyone else have thoughts on it? Any good reviews on either of them as of yet?

Old Sep 11, 2004, 7:59 AM   #12

Comments/suggestions/feedback?

Old Sep 13, 2004, 12:29 AM   #13

Are you sure that there's no microphone? According to Panasonic's website, the FZ15 has a microphone.
tberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 13, 2004, 1:40 AM   #14

I think that it does NOT have a microphone. I downloaded the operating manuals for the FZ3, FZ15 and FZ20 from this web site:

http://service.us.panasonic.com/oper...l.aspx?cat=CAM

When they list the accessories for the FZ3 and FZ20, they refer to an "AV cable". For the FZ15, they refer to a "video cable" and the picture clearly shows only one plug for video. The others show two plugs, one for audio and one for video.

Also, the picture of the front of the FZ3 has the microphone labeled. It does not show a microphone for the FZ15. To me, that implies that there is no audio capability with this camera. That begs the question "Why?"

Why would they put a mic on the "lesser" model, the FZ3, and even on the FZ1 for that matter, and on the higher end FZ20, but not on the middle of the road FZ15?

Beats me!

Just as an update, I went back to the manual, and it says on page 56 "you can record motion images without audio." That settles it for me: there is NO audio capability on this camera. Again, it's not a big deal for me, but it could be to some others.
propwash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 15, 2004, 8:04 PM   #15

What about a slave flash? Was really thinking of this for the FZ3 since its a much smaller camera and cheaper.
Bill
wmussatto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 17, 2004, 8:04 PM   #16

according to panasonic:

Recording Media SD Memory Card
Microphone Built-in
Speaker Yes (only beep)

So, it does have a mic
coontie is offline   Reply With Quote