Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Sep 12, 2004, 2:42 AM   #11

maw wrote:
Quote:
Wonderful Images!!!

I thought my lizard image was good, yours is way better!!Could you describe your setup and image gathering technique (I have a Nikon D70 and 105mm macro). I'm new to macro and have been taking integrated circuit chip images mostly. Couldyou or someonerecommend a good book on macro techniques & digital photography as well.

Thanks in advance,

Mike

Thanks Mike and General Morpheus for your comments!

Mike,

I am new too to Macro and am still in the learning stage....I was hoping for comments to help me improve, and I am at no position to give'advice' to others! I would appreciate any book recommendations too! Though I did read up some macro books (SLR cameras) in the Library.

Anyway, here are some sharing as to how I took the photos.

The butterfly shots are all done with Tripod, as the light was dim, and I had to use F8 to get the DOF. For sharpness,small apeture is important, as it allows greater DOF. I have read somewhere that because the digital camerasensor is smaller than the 35mm flim based camera, the same apeture number givesyou a greater DOF. So in someway, that is good news fro my camera. Although some pp do complain that that is too much. Iuse ISO 50 most of the times to minimise noise.I used bounce flash (external flash) from a home-made deflector to provide the necessary lighting. The focus distance using both the 6T and Sigma close up was 20cm or there about, and this allowed me to use the flash. Without the close up filters, I need to be closer to the subject and the flash will cast a shadow because of the lens. The Lizard pic was using the Sigma close up only. This gives the same magnification when the FZ10 is 5 cm away from the subject, but now allows you to be 40 cm away (with the close up filter). The sun was up after a small spell of rain, and the lizard was kind enough to stay still.

The key to macro, IMHO, is to focus the eyes. I think the eyes are important for the subjects, it must appear sharp, and I will position it at the intersection of the 'Rule of thirds' . the Fz10 has the option to turn on this Rule of thirds grid, and I just place the eye at the intersection. Except of the first butterly shot, where the eyes are right in the center. For my first dragonfly shot, I thought that the eyes were not too sharp, and though personally I liked the composition, the sharpness of the eyes was a let down. So when I take shots, I will use the SF to focus, if not I will fix the focus distance, and move the camera till the image appears sharp in the EVF. It is a hit and miss, as sometimes I will get it, sometimes not.

I had a film SLR in the past, and I also took some macro, but did not turn out well. But with digital, you can see the effects immediately, and correct it, and re-shoot until you are happy. So I think with practice, all of us can improve.

I have had some comments on the pics (in other forums) that they are too close. So I will try to take some at zoom out and see how they turn out.

So hope this sharing is useful to all. Hope to learn from you guys too!:-)

tchuanye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 12, 2004, 10:05 AM   #12

Hello fellow macro-ers,

Just thought I'd share this pic taken yesterday with the FZ10 plus Nikon 6T. Most dragonflies seem to be skittish but this one (all of maybe 2 inches long) let me get about3 inches from it . Being that close I had to back off on the zoom and constantly tweak the settings to get the optimum shot. Thesunlight was at just right slantto get all the "hairy" details.Tchuanye is right, it works best to focus on the eyes but it's really a hit-and-miss affair. I must've taken about 20 shots and this is the only one I'm happy with.But when the pics turn out, this is one great camera for macros, and the 6T is a useful enhancer. Comments and/or criticism welcome as I'm always learning....

Best Wishes,

Steve

http://trailhiker.smugmug.com

Attached Images

sdwsp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 12, 2004, 10:17 AM   #13

sdwsp wrote:
Quote:
Hello fellow macro-ers,

Just thought I'd share this pic taken yesterday with the FZ10 plus Nikon 6T. Most dragonflies seem to be skittish but this one (all of maybe 2 inches long) let me get about3 inches from it . Being that close I had to back off on the zoom and constantly tweak the settings to get the optimum shot. Thesunlight was at just right slantto get all the "hairy" details.Tchuanye is right, it works best to focus on the eyes but it's really a hit-and-miss affair. I must've taken about 20 shots and this is the only one I'm happy with.But when the pics turn out, this is one great camera for macros, and the 6T is a useful enhancer. Comments and/or criticism welcome as I'm always learning....

Best Wishes,

Steve

http://trailhiker.smugmug.com
Hi Steve,

Thanks for sharing. Nice to know someone else using the 6T. Nice photo gallery!!!

Noticed you used F2.8. Did you consider using a smaller Apeture like F8 to get greater DOF, and perhaps more of the dragonfly can be sharper. Since its in sunlight, the shutter speed may allow you to hold it? Dunno, just my 2c.

And how did you get 3" away from it? Thats about 7cm, and I have measured with my 6T before and my minimum at 12x is 29cm. Could it be the adapter used? I am using the Phayee one. OR could it be the magnification? Appreciate your sharing. Thanks!

Old Sep 12, 2004, 10:35 AM   #14
maw

Thanks for the reply. I think you are well beyond the "beginner" stages even though you are new to macro imaging..this speaks highly of your skills!!

I'm not familar with the Sigma close up. Did you stack this on top or behindthe Nikon 6T. Also, how do you get the subjects to stay still when using a tripod (offering a cup of nector maybe??).

Great work, and keep up informed on you new images,

Mike

maw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 12, 2004, 11:04 AM   #15
maw

Great image Steve. Did you use a flash?This stuff is amazing. I have a really dumb question: what is a FZ10?

Mike
maw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 12, 2004, 11:06 AM   #16

Thanks for the ideastchuanye!

I'll give 'em a try today. You're right, with the bright sunlight I could've used a smaller aperture and gotten better DOF. And I'm using a Yoshida adapter, I don't THINK that would have anything to do with getting closer...I've had the FZ10 since the beginning of January and I'm STILL trying to figure out its intricacies, so any info you can supply will be greatly appreciated. Keep up the good work, and thanks for looking!

Best Wishes,

Steve

Old Sep 12, 2004, 11:18 AM   #17

Hi Mike,

No, no flash used tho' I've seen people use it to fill in the details, but the morning sun seemed to be enough. And the "FZ10" is the Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ10 with 12x optical zoom, an image stabilizer, and f2.8 brightness throughout its range, among a host of other fantastic features. It's "only" been out for 10 months and Panasonic is about to (officially) release its successor, the FZ20...

Thanks for looking!

Steve
Old Sep 12, 2004, 11:43 AM   #18

maw wrote:
Quote:
Thanks for the reply. I think you are well beyond the "beginner" stages even though you are new to macro imaging..this speaks highly of your skills!!

I'm not familar with the Sigma close up. Did you stack this on top or behindthe Nikon 6T. Also, how do you get the subjects to stay still when using a tripod (offering a cup of nector maybe??).

Great work, and keep up informed on you new images,

Mike

Hi Mike,

Thanks for the compliment...but as I said, I am still learning, and have a long way to go.

You can see ddsm photo gallery on the set up. http://ddsm.smugmug.com/gallery/150921

I stack the 6T first and after that the Sigma filter. Almost the same as ddsm except my Sigma is 58mm. Thus I have to use a step down 62-58mm ring.

Actually, you are right about the nectar! I took the Buterflies at the Butterfly park at Sentosa, Singapore. Couldn't get a decent shot as all them flew away when I approach them. The only 'volunteer' was this one I posted, who was sucking nectar from a pineapple placed on aplastic platform. Thus, I had to set my tripod low to point upwards so that the platform was not in the FOV. Anyway, with the magnification I got, it was good enough. Actually, you can see the colors of the plastic platform in the "I like Pepsi" shot. The other two, I went lower, and point the camera upwards.

The dragonfly were harder to take. It was at the Singapore Botanical Gardens, and it was tough getting them not to fly off. To use with the tripod, I tend to use only 2 of the 3 legs to support the camera, so I can tilt it nearer or further (similar to a monopod). The lens stabilisation or OIS of the FZ10 (as you know now it is the Panasonic camera) allows the shot to be taken w/o being blurred....well, at least some of the time.

rgds

Old Sep 12, 2004, 4:04 PM   #19

i saw you use a stepdown filter....do you get vignetting? if you do, how do you avoid it causing problems?

Vito
photosbyvito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 12, 2004, 4:47 PM   #20

For what it is worth, here is my gallery of FZ10+6T bug shots

http://www.wilkesworld.co.uk/closeups.htm

and here's a sample to tempt you to visit :-)

lawrencew is offline   Reply With Quote