Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Sep 6, 2004, 6:36 PM   #1

I find it that my fz-10 auto shuts off too soon, and therefore wastes the battery by retracting the lense, and then pushing it out again when I turn the camera back on.

Does anyone know how much power is used for keeping the LCD on for say 5 minutes, and how much is used for retracting and extending the lense?

Also, what are your preferences?
Thank you.

tmoldovan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 6, 2004, 7:44 PM   #2

i would like to know more about that too, but i really cant say. i just leave it in evf when i know sonner or later ill have to use it(in a few minutes).

i wish there was a kind of batery safe mode, so you can keep the lens extended but with all screens off and other inner sistems in low consuming mode or something, so you can be with the camera ready to shoot and dont worry much about baterry, becouse having it turned off and on in a matter of some minutes must waste more energy than keeping it on(even more if you could just turn evf and lcd off).
Frederico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 6, 2004, 9:29 PM   #3

I agree, it would have been nice to have some sort of standby mode that would shut off both LCD and EVF, but leave the lense extended.
From looking at the manual, it doesn't seem that using EVF instead of LCD saves much power.

Old Sep 6, 2004, 9:42 PM   #4

the evf haves less resolution(less pixels) and is smaller, so it must consume less than the lcd.
ive also read someplace that cameras can take more photos with the same battery in evf mode than lcd(i dont really remember if that was about the fz10)
Frederico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 7, 2004, 9:52 AM   #5

If my memory serves me correctly, I think the difference between the 2 was only 20 photos.
Old Sep 7, 2004, 12:05 PM   #6

I have noticed that I get considerably more shots using EVF mode. I can not tell you how many more shots I get, but I recentlytook nearly 300 daylight shots and still had battery left.
Rookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 7, 2004, 12:47 PM   #7

Hmm, maybe I'll switch the power savings to off, and just switch to EVF when I'm not actively using the camera. (I like to use the LCD, since it has a larger display, and I like to brace the camera against my neck with the neckstrap.)

(I see now that the page 13 of my manual states that recording time with LCD is 100 minutes (equal to 200 still pics), and with EVF is 120 minutes (equal to 240 still pics), so according to them, the difference is 20 minutes, or 40 pics)

(Also, according to the owner's manual, power consumption is 2.6 W when recording with LCD, and 2.4 W with EVF
Regarding playback it's 1.7W for LCD and 1.5 W for EVF)

Old Sep 8, 2004, 2:18 AM   #8

Hi, this power consumption corresponds to my tests. I think, it will be good idea

switch the power savings to off,switch to EVF and turn FZ10 to Playback Mode. It will save max. energy.
fana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 8, 2004, 12:28 PM   #9

I have settings of EVF mode, power save 2 minutes, no playback. If I want playback, I press the down arrow on the toggle switch. I also use 5 shot mode (mostly sports). I findreviewing the photoscauses me to miss other shots. So I just shoot and edit out the bad shots at home. Iusethree 256 megcards that give me 432 shots. I prefer separate cards so if one malfunctions or screws up I don't loose everything.
Rookie is offline   Reply With Quote