Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Sep 7, 2004, 7:02 PM   #1

I've seen some references to a firmware update for the FZ1 making it what someone called an "FZ2." Where do you obtain this firmware update? I checked Panasonic's web site and went around in circles, but never found out where to get it. Their "download" section was no help to me. If someone could post a direct link, I would appreciate it. Thanks a lot.

propwash is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 8, 2004, 3:47 PM   #2

You can find the FZ1 FAQ at:

http://www.seedwiki.com/page.cfm?doc...25&wpid=135166

It describes the firmware upgrade and how to get it. I upgraded my FZ1 with the v2 firmware and have had no problems. I have not heard of any reports of someone damaging the FZ1 by doing the upgrade.

Enjoy,
Steven
Gospel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 8, 2004, 7:40 PM   #3

Thanks for the reply. I guess that explains why I couldn't find the update on Panasonic's web site. I didn't know that it is not specifically endorsed by Panasonic.
Old Sep 9, 2004, 1:08 PM   #4

After you apply the firmware patch, how do you access the new functions (Shutter and aperture priority?) Since there is no setting for these functions on the mode dial, do these options show up on the viewfinder/LCD screen when you open up the menu? Thanks for your help.
Old Sep 9, 2004, 1:22 PM   #5

To access these functions, turn on camera, push the menu button and you will see on the first page of menus, the second item will be AEmode. You can then pick whether you want aperture priority or shutter priority. If you select A or S, when you turn off the menu and return to the regular picture setting, you access your choice (A or S) by pushing the top button on the four button dial . You then use the left or right arrows to increase/decrease the setting. You will also notice that you now have 4 pages of menu since you've added another line (AE Mode) and that when you zoom , you will be able to see in the viewfinder the amount of zoom. Good luck with the "new" camera - for all intents and purposes an FZ2!.
garthmoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 9, 2004, 5:16 PM   #6

The upgraded fz1 is essentally an fz2. Full fz2 manual (7.6mb pdf file in English) is at http://www.panasonic.ca/PDP/OperatingInstructions/dmcfz2ks-oi-eng.pdf Right click on the link and choose Save Target As to download it to your hardrive.

Fred
fmoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 9, 2004, 8:46 PM   #7

Thanks to fmoore and garthmoe for your quick responses. I went to Pansonic's website and downloaded the English version of the FZ2 manual as you suggested. That really helped to explain things to me. Thanks again for all your help.

Does the SD card that is used for the ugprade have to be new and empty? The instructions say that you need to copy the file to the root directory of a card with the DCIM and MISC folders on it. Is it OK if there are some images in either of these folders as long as the .BIN file is the only thing in the root directory? Thanks again for all your help. I don't want to screw this up!!
Old Sep 10, 2004, 3:05 PM   #8

The instructions I used indicated that the DCIM and MISC folders should be empty. I dont know if that is absolutely necessary but that is the recommended way and the way I did it.
fmoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 14, 2004, 10:03 PM   #9

I have tried to download the aforementioned FZ2 manual.pdffile any number of times and even though it looks as if it's working, when the blue bar at the bottom of the IE screen completes there's nothing to view! Can anyone help me with this?

Thanks!

Jane
nmastae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 15, 2004, 6:09 AM   #10

You probably need to upgrade your copy of Acrobat Reader. This had me scratching my head several months back!
erasmus41 is offline   Reply With Quote