Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Sep 11, 2004, 2:19 AM   #11

I agree with you semper!! I was looking for the Canon G3 but is dificult to getfrom my country ( Argentina) When i saw fz20 !!! woooooU!! thank you panasonic for beeng so smart and use Leica!!!!!!!!!!!:bye: beuuuuutiful pictures!!! Thanks to your gallery of fz10 STEVE !! big eyes, big heart, good man... your photos talk for you.

sorry me inglish!!

Federico, from "Patagonia" end of the World...

Moncho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 11, 2004, 7:56 AM   #12

General Morpheus wrote:
Quote:
Panasonic has a bad reputation for Digital Cameras, and it needs all the help it can get...

Can you eleborate on this?
Old Sep 11, 2004, 8:34 AM   #13

okay well when most people go into a camera shop they want to buy a canon, because its reputation is good. Panasonic has an incompetant sales division (trust me i'm a reseller), and therefore gets no exposure. When people go into stores asking for them, which i have done, ppl say they are bad so that pplo buy something they have in stock rather than them going away and buying from somewhere else.

Panasonic does not deal through wholesalers, making it very inconvinent for resellers to buy from them in the first place.

To top on that Panasonic does not seem to supply free cameras for review, which cant put them in the good sights of reviewers, and first impressions of the company are everything, and i am telling you i fear getting warranty on my camera, just because of what i've seen.

Next Panasonic has a bad reputation for noise, and their PR people do noting to combat it, they have a Leica lens, they have pleanty of ammo to hit back with.

Frankly their PR sucks, their sales suck and their customer service sucks, but their cameras are great, hell i bought one...
General Morpheus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 11, 2004, 12:24 PM   #14

You are being rather unfair. In my limited experience, Ritz Camera has nothing but praise for the Lumix cameras.
I believe it is better to spend the money on designing and making an excellent camera at a low price than spend the money on advertising. It will sell by word of mouth. The main problem I read about is lack of availability. Do they need to raise sales demand when they can't supply the goods? It may be short sighted not to provide sample cameras to reviewers like Phil & Steve but I bet they will in due course.
parallel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 11, 2004, 7:48 PM   #15

parallel wrote:
Quote:
You are being rather unfair. In my limited experience, Ritz Camera has nothing but praise for the Lumix cameras.
I believe it is better to spend the money on designing and making an excellent camera at a low price than spend the money on advertising. It will sell by word of mouth. The main problem I read about is lack of availability. Do they need to raise sales demand when they can't supply the goods? It may be short sighted not to provide sample cameras to reviewers like Phil & Steve but I bet they will in due course.
sorry mate i'm not in your country so i cant comment on what they say, only what i have personally heard

yes the money has been spent on the camera especially the lens!!! but it is important tp know that people only buy because of adertising, they are not spending money on advertising they are amking money on it. With good advertising people wont look at on olympis ad and say wow that 10x zoom looks good, or a canon ad and think only those white canon lenses are good, they will say holy gazolas look at that 12x Leica!

They can supply the goods, they are just incompetant at doing it. I easily got my cam from Japan, its just Panasonic is to stupid to do decent imports. For gods sake they have run out of batteries and lenses for the fz10's and 20's, how dumb are they?

OVERSIGHT, thats free advertising, its stupidity.

I am having a bitch at Panasonic but only for their own good, they need to do this stuff or continue to only have a 3% market share... END OF STORY, understand? They are about making money, and they are not helping themselves in anything but the manufacturing!
Old Sep 11, 2004, 7:57 PM   #16

Well, I first heard of the Panasonic Lumix FZ10 in a Wolf Camera store, which I think is allied with Ritz, when I was in Florida last April. May be wrong on that - the fact that Ritz and Wolf are allied, I'm pretty sure I was in Florida last April. I had never heard of the Panasonic Lumix. With film cameras, I was a big Nikon fan and with digitals have always been happy with Fuji. A very knowledgeable and enthusiastic salesperson told me that he thought the FZ10 was fantastic. That branch store didn't have it in stock, but he pointed me to another Sarasota/Bradenton store. The manager there was so rude! I was wasting his time to look at a Panasonic. His replies to my questions were abrupt and incorrect. He was certainly not trying to sell the FZ10. I loved the feel of the camera. Don't know if I would have bought it right then, but the manager sure ran me out of his store. I've been waiting for the FZ20 for various reasons. I found it strange that the manager of one store was trying to turn me off from the Lumix and an employee at another store (who was a real digicam enthusiastic) was recommending it.

Linda
patchworkfibers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 11, 2004, 8:04 PM   #17

patchworkfibers wrote:
Quote:
Well, I first heard of the Panasonic Lumix FZ10 in a Wolf Camera store, which I think is allied with Ritz, when I was in Florida last April. May be wrong on that - the fact that Ritz and Wolf are allied, I'm pretty sure I was in Florida last April. I had never heard of the Panasonic Lumix. With film cameras, I was a big Nikon fan and with digitals have always been happy with Fuji. A very knowledgeable and enthusiastic salesperson told me that he thought the FZ10 was fantastic. That branch store didn't have it in stock, but he pointed me to another Sarasota/Bradenton store. The manager there was so rude! I was wasting his time to look at a Panasonic. His replies to my questions were abrupt and incorrect. He was certainly not trying to sell the FZ10. I loved the feel of the camera. Don't know if I would have bought it right then, but the manager sure ran me out of his store. I've been waiting for the FZ20 for various reasons. I found it strange that the manager of one store was trying to turn me off from the Lumix and an employee at another store (who was a real digicam enthusiastic) was recommending it.

Linda
my point exactly! IF you wanna sell cameras you need everyone to be exited about them. Give stores big banners like Olympus, make really fancy packaging ... This kind of stuff costs Panasonic nothing but makes people want to buy it 100x more... Store owners need to be encouraged to buy it and PANASONIC TAKE A HINT sell through dealers us stores dont like going through 100 different manufacturers, when we can go through 1 or 2 dealers... thats probably why the better cam store did not have it...
Old Sep 12, 2004, 1:48 AM   #18

Getting camera's in the hands of reviewers certainly helps. I didn't even know they made cameras until I stumbled across a review which rated them higher than the one I was looking at. Unfortunately, since they went to 5MP I want to make sure they didn't do something like Sony and suppress the noise so much the detail is lost.

Interestingly some reviewers had a hands on of the pre-production model almost as soon as it was released, but not a production model even though they re in some stores. Makes me worry that they are afraid that they have something to hide.

Bill
wmussatto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 12, 2004, 2:26 AM   #19

wmussatto wrote:
Quote:
Getting camera's in the hands of reviewers certainly helps. I didn't even know they made cameras until I stumbled across a review which rated them higher than the one I was looking at. Unfortunately, since they went to 5MP I want to make sure they didn't do something like Sony and suppress the noise so much the detail is lost.

Interestingly some reviewers had a hands on of the pre-production model almost as soon as it was released, but not a production model even though they re in some stores. Makes me worry that they are afraid that they have something to hide.

Bill
thinking someone has something to hide certainly doesn't help sales... and again accentuates my point... BAD MARKETING!!! I have one and i cant see anything they have to hide (other than a slight amount of noise)