Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Sep 11, 2004, 8:26 AM   #1

I've owned an FZ10 since last Christmas, and decided to upgrade to the FZ20. My new FZ20 arrived a few days ago, and I've been very pleased with it.

I don't think Panasonic has done a very good job about putting the word out there about all the improvements the FZ20 has over the FZ10. There have been several improvements that I've noticed that I never heard anything about... they were just pleasant little surprises to discover.

Here are some of the things they've improved on the FZ20 versus the FZ10. Some you will already be aware of, a few maybe not.
  1. 5 Megapixels versus 4 [/*]
  2. Can save images as uncompressed .tiff to avoid .jpg compression [/*]
  3. Canshoot anunlimited number of pictures in burst mode (versus 5 on FZ10)[/*]
  4. New style lens hood looks MUCH more professional [/*]
  5. New arrangement on mode dial: scene modes. Very nice! [/*]
  6. New style battery charger: no funky cords! [/*]
  7. Nicer graphics on the on-screen menus [/*]
  8. Focus-assist lamp for shooting in low-light situations [/*]
  9. Bigger hand-grip makes camera easier to hold [/*]
  10. Improvements to the Venus engline LSI
If you'd like to see some pictures taken with my new FZ20, head on over to my web page.

On the negative side, there were two things that surprised me:
[/*]
  1. My camera did not come with any memory card, not even a 16mb card. I don't know if this was an oversight, or if they're all coming without cards now. It's not that big of a deal, though, as who uses a tiny card like that anyway? [/*]
  2. With the changes to the battery charger, it is no longer possible to run the camera on AC power and no battery like you could on the FZ10. To do this with the FZ20, you have to buy an accessory AC adapter.[/*]
I also really wish they had moved the battery and memory card compartment away from the bottom of the camera and over to the side... so that you could change batteries or memory cards when the camera is on a tripod. While the image stabilizer does mean you'll use a tripod a lot less with this camera, there are still times when you need one... and it sure is inconvenient if the camera is on a tripod and you need to charge the battery.

Overall, though, this camera is a real gem! There is nothing else on the market within hundreds of dollars that can beat the FZ20. Read more about it over on my FZ20 web page.

Jim Zim is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 11, 2004, 12:56 PM   #2

Hi. The memory card that came with the camera was taped to the inside flap of the box. I would have missed it...my husband caught it!
Mare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 11, 2004, 3:25 PM   #3

Oh my gosh... you're absolutely right!

I went out and checked the box... glad I didn't toss it yet... and there was the memory card. Thanks for helping me figure it out!

Give me a dunce cap...
Old Sep 11, 2004, 7:58 PM   #4

mine came with no memory card

yeah i like the camera, however i dont like its foucsing while zoomed, its really aint great, and the image stabaliston only really works in gr8 light (at full zoom)
General Morpheus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 11, 2004, 8:22 PM   #5

JAZ:

Thank you very much for all the valuable information you posted here and on your web site! Great pictures!

I have a DMC-FZ20 on order at Amazon.com and I can't wait to get it!

I plan to purchase the optional:

DMW-LTZ10 Teleconversion Lens

DMW-LWZ10 Wide Conversion Lens

Best regards,

David McNulty
Spanky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 11, 2004, 10:44 PM   #6

If you still have your old FZ10, couldn't you use the DC power cord and charger from that camera to power your FZ20? I'm assuming (a bad word!) that since they use the same batteries, they can use the same charger and power supply. Just a thought that might help you out. Of course, if you sold the FZ10 to get the FZ20, you will no longer have the older charger/power cord.
propwash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 11, 2004, 10:49 PM   #7

Yes, the AC adaptor from the FZ10 will run the FZ20. In fact, I did it that way when the camera first arrived and I was charging the battery.

My FZ10 is on eBay as we speak. I don't think not having the ability to run it on AC will be that big of a deal for me. I very rarely ever did it with the FZ10.
Old Sep 14, 2004, 1:39 AM   #8

Hi, could someone tells me, please, which colour has that Focus-assist lamp for shooting in low-light situations (FZ20)? I would like to make something similar for my FZ10.

Thanks

fana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 14, 2004, 2:02 AM   #9

fana wrote:
Quote:
Hi, could someone tells me, please, which colour has that Focus-assist lamp for shooting in low-light situations (FZ20)? I would like to make something similar for my FZ10.

Thanks

red... i didnt know you could do that...

btw can someone explain where the sd card is please...?
General Morpheus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 14, 2004, 4:19 AM   #10

I sold my FZ10 on an auction site here in Hong Kong 2 weeks ago. Whoever won it got a really good condition FZ10 with still 4 months to go on warranty. The auction finished at $HK2800. Good or bad deal for a 2nd hand Fluzi10?

Problem I have now is I can't find the FZ20 in Hong Kong anywhere. Anyone in Hong Kong seen one yet? I have seen parallel import versions,butI want to avoid that. Theparallel import was going for $HK4880

Jawis is offline   Reply With Quote