Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Sep 19, 2004, 1:25 AM   #11

What I meant to say, (and upon rereading my posts I said unbelievably poorly) is that when you upgrade the FZ1 to an FZ2 and compare the FZ2 to the FZ3, the only difference are the updated drivers and 3 megapixel.

mea culpa, mea culpa, mea culpa..

**I** apologize for the confusion.

~peace~

plish
mplishka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 19, 2004, 2:18 PM   #12

This is really a win/win. Both are excellent cameras - caveat being upgrading the FZ-1 to the FZ-2 to give you better compression and manual control over shutter speed and aperture.

From a price/performance perspective, I would go with the FZ-1 and upgrade it. I'm staring at 3 gorgeous (if I do say so myself) 8X10's I just printed, taken with my FZ-1v2.
So, I concur with others who can attest to it's capability to make fine large prints, despite having only two megapixels.

If the extra dollars aren't a big consideration, and the extra $150-$175 doesn't sting too much, go with the FZ-3. The extra megapixel doesnt hurt, its flash has a better range (to me, FZ1's biggest drawback), it has a better IS system, and tt recently got an excellent review on one of the major digicam sites.

Bear in mind that the $$$ don't stop with the purchase of the camera. A larger SD card is a must, and an extra battery is highly recommended, perhaps a 55mm ND filter to protect the lens, etc.

Bottom line, it's a win-win. Depends on how much you are willing to spend, and your threshold of pain.
NickTrop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 20, 2004, 3:20 AM   #13

Just to add to the dilemma of choosing between the FZ1 and FZ3, Ritz Camera is having a sale on the FZ1 now for $250. Circuit City has the FZ3 in stock for $400, but they are offering a $50 gift card if you buy it online. If it is in stock at your local CC, you can order it online and go right down to your local store and pick it up. With the $50 card, the effective price comes down to $350, making the difference now $100 between the FZ1 and FZ3.

Both excellent cameras, IMO, but your extra $100 will get you the advantages of the FZ3. This could prove to be a tough decision for many!
propwash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 20, 2004, 7:46 AM   #14
Administrator

Don't forget to look at the flash range when comparing them.

The flash on the FZ1 is rated at 2.1 meters/6.89 feet

The flash on the FZ3 is rated at 4.6 meters/15 feet
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 23, 2004, 11:04 PM   #15

propwash wrote:
Quote:
Just to add to the dilemma of choosing between the FZ1 and FZ3, Ritz Camera is having a sale on the FZ1 now for $250. Circuit City has the FZ3 in stock for $400, but they are offering a $50 gift card if you buy it online. If it is in stock at your local CC, you can order it online and go right down to your local store and pick it up. With the $50 card, the effective price comes down to $350, making the difference now $100 between the FZ1 and FZ3.
Does anybody (Panasonic Bob??) know for how much longer the FZ1 will be available through regular commercial dealers?
nmastae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 24, 2004, 9:43 AM   #16

If money is the issue buy the fz1, you would never tella difference in the pictures. Use the money that you save to get a nice big memory card.

The only reason to consider the fz3 is if you take a lot of flash pictures, not good with the fz1. Serious focusing problems for flash.

The fz1 will make great 8x10's if you start out with a nice sharp pictures. Believe it!!

zoomn is offline   Reply With Quote