Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Sep 11, 2004, 12:37 PM   #1

I am very confused about which model to buy. FZ1 is very cheap, but only has 2 MP. FZ3, has 3 MP, but almost the same functions as the older model, and is a little expensive for me, but affordable. Which one would you buy if you were at my place? I would need to print my photos, 8 x 10 prints at least. What would you suggest?

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"and one more question: Is there any chance still that I can get a NEW FZ10 for $400?? Would they be in stock somewhere, after 3 months or so?

rameezrazzak is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 11, 2004, 2:10 PM   #2

Not $400, but if you search in www.pricegrabber.com you can find it for $425. Well... +Shipping, the final price is about $440. And in www.nextag.com you can find (the black model) for about $380, (+ shipping) but I've read some warnings about sites offering too low prices.
José A. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 11, 2004, 8:41 PM   #3

The 3mp would be nice to have but mainly for cropping. On the other hand, the 2mp fz1 gives excellent 8x10 prints and the ability to frame the shot correctly with the 12x zoom generally makescropping unnecessary.
The fz3 af assist might be useful for some close lowlight shots but I dont know that it will make them that much better.
The fz3 also has faster burst mode. I seldom use burst mode on my fz1. I probably should but I dont. Also better movie mode. I dont use that either.
The fz1 for $250 is an excellent price for a great camera. If Panasonic can continue to make moneywith the fz1 going for $250 they should keep it in production. The fz1 is probably the best 2mp camera made (ever), IMO, and 2mp can definitely get the job done.
If you can wait a month or so, you might see the fz1 occasionally going for $200 at places like frys/outpost.com.Either way, I would take the some of the $100-150 that you'll save by getting the fz1 and spend it on a couple of 128mb sd cards, an extra battery, and a uv filter to protect the main lens. If you have some $ left over, think about getting a good dual element closeup lens (eg; oly b-macro or nikon 4t). That will extend the macro capability to throughout the zoom. All the fz series cameras lose macro capability beyond ~3x zoom.

Fred
fmoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 11, 2004, 11:03 PM   #4

Do you really get excellent results when making 8x10 enlargements from the 2meg FZ1? I am satisfied with what I've seen when making 4x6's, but I haven't really tried any 8x10's. Intuitively, it sounds to me like 8x10 might be a little bit of a stretch for the 2meg camera. however, I know that there are 2meg cameras and then there are other 2meg cameras, with a great deal of difference between them.!! I think what I have seen from the FZ1 is as good as you're going to get from a 2meg.

However, many people never enlarge beyond the standard 4x6 anyway, so worrying about the occasional 8x10 might not be worth the trouble.
propwash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 12, 2004, 11:51 AM   #5

I am not the only one that is of the opinion that the fz1 gives excellent 8x10 prints. I also have the Olympus c2100 (known as the uzi whence the fluzi) which also gives excellent 8x10's and is regarded as the premier 2mp camera. IMO, the fz1 has it beat because its smaller size makes it much more convient and the c2100's slightly better image quality is essentially negligible.

Fred
fmoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 14, 2004, 10:15 AM   #6

I have the FZ2 and the FZ3. The FZ3 has a better AF system, by far less purple fringing (Panasonic did a good job here!), and manual exposure as well as some useful scene modes. IMHO the FZ3 as a whole is better. What I like more about the FZ2 is the more professional look and feel and less noise in the pics.

Best wishes,

jazzy

For a FZ3 shot, look here:

http://www.gabis-galleries.com/589.jpg
jazzcrab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 17, 2004, 9:51 AM   #7

If you upgrade the FZ1 to an FZ1v2, the 3 megapixels and newer drivers/modes for focusing and compressionare primarily the difference.

Good quality 8x10's from an FZ1 are not a prob at ALL because of the lens quality. If I were to go to a different camera from my FZ1v2 it would be to a fluzi I could manually focus.

~peace~

Michael

mplishka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 17, 2004, 8:05 PM   #8

mplishka wrote:
Quote:
If you upgrade the FZ1 to an FZ1v2, the 3 megapixels and newer drivers/modes for focusing and compressionare primarily the difference.

I don't think that performing the upgrade changes the number of pixels. Both the FZ1 and FZ2 are 2 megapixel cameras. To change the number of pixels would reuqirea physical change of the CCD, wouldn't it?
Old Sep 18, 2004, 2:46 AM   #9

You are indeed correct, I'm sorry if I wasn't clear. It would require a new CCD to go to 3 megapixel. The 3 Megapixel is the difference from the FZ1/2.

~peace~

Michael
mplishka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 18, 2004, 10:23 PM   #10

mplishka wrote:
Quote:
The 3 Megapixel is the difference from the FZ1/2.
I guess I'm still not sure what you mean. Both the FZ1 and FZ2 are 2 megapixel cameras. What do you mean by "The 3 Megapixel is the difference from the FZ1/2"?

Sorry for the confusion.