Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Sep 12, 2004, 11:54 PM   #1

Has anyone tried using magnification filters to increase the closeness in macro mode? (Eg. from 5 cm. to something less.) If so, how did it work? Any caveats? How was the resolution?

Thanks much.

nmastae is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 13, 2004, 12:56 AM   #2

nmastae wrote:
Quote:
Has anyone tried using magnification filters to increase the closeness in macro mode? (Eg. from 5 cm. to something less.) If so, how did it work? Any caveats? How was the resolution?

Thanks much.

You can see

http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...mp;forum_id=23

The magnification is higher, but distance is further away. I am using the Nikon 6T and/or Sigma close up lens
tchuanye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 13, 2004, 8:10 AM   #3

The fz series cameras do not have macro capability throughout the zoom. Beyond ~3x zoom the macro function is lost. This limitation can be overcome with the use of a closeup lens; even a +1 diopter.For best results use a dual element lens such as theolympus b-macro (55mm, +3) or the nikon 6t (62mm, +3) or 4t (52mm, +3). The raynox dcr250 is also an excellent choice for super macro (+8 with a clip on adapter). See http://www.ishots.net/fz1-2faq/fz1macros.htm The info there pertains to the fz series in general.

Fred
fmoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 13, 2004, 11:24 AM   #4

Thanks so much, Fred, for responding. That's very useful information.

Tell me, do you -- or anyone else reading this post! --know anything about Quantaray filters, supposedly made by Sigma? Ritz currently has a buy"3 get1 free" offer going, and I've already purchased a multi-coat UV one to go with my new FZ1 (hasn't arrived yet). Will this filter be high enough quality not to distort? Do you know if their circular (or linear, I suppose) polarizing filter is any good?

Then they have those +1,+2,+4 add-on filters, called a "close-up set". That's what I was referring to above. Does anyone know if these areany good?

Thanks again for your input here.

Best,

Jane
Old Sep 13, 2004, 11:27 AM   #5

Thanks for the link to your dragon fly shots.They are incredbile!Now I must research that Nikon 6T!
Old Sep 13, 2004, 12:26 PM   #6

Jane - I have been usinga 55mm Quantaray multicoated uv filter from Ritz since I got my fz1 a year ago. I keep it on all the time.I dont have any other Quantaray filters. The +!, +2, +4 close-up sets consists of single element lens that you will eventually be unhappy with, the reason being that the focus is soft as you move from the center of the photo. The dual element lenses flatten out the image so that you get good focus to the edges. The Olympus b-macro is an excellent dual element lens that works verywell with the fz1. Recently, Olympus America has beenputting new b-macro lenses on ebay for whatever reason. Currently one is at $40 with a day to go. That's a very good price. Check ebay occasionally to see if others are offered. Anotherverynicedual element +3 lens is the nikon 4t. It has 52mm threads so you would need a 55-52mm step down ring to attach it to the fz1 adapter. The best buy there is $30 at http://focuscamera.com/prods/757645011.asp The nikon 6t is essentially the same lens with 62mm threads.

Fred
Old Dec 7, 2004, 1:34 AM   #7

fmoore wrote:
Quote:
Anotherverynicedual element +3 lens is the nikon 4t. It has 52mm threads so you would need a 55-52mm step down ring to attach it to the fz1 adapter. The best buy there is $30 at http://focuscamera.com/prods/757645011.asp The nikon 6t is essentially the same lens with 62mm threads.

Fred
Fred,

Does one lose image quality when stepping down from 55 to 52mm with the nikon 4t? What happens to those shadowy 3 mms? Would I be better off with 62 mm threads?

Jane

Old Dec 7, 2004, 8:27 AM   #8

nmastae wrote:
Quote:
Does one lose image quality when stepping down from 55 to 52mm with the nikon 4t? What happens to those shadowy 3 mms? Would I be better off with 62 mm threads?
Jane - Those 3mms will also be there with a 55-62mm step up. I'd get the 4t.