Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Sep 15, 2004, 10:50 PM   #1

Ok, here are my first pics with the camera. The camera is very good as far as focusing goes, that Venus II engine really does it's job. Going from it's sleep mode to taking a photo is still longer than I would like (the lens has to come back from it's retracted position).

Image quality.....Hmmmmm.....Ok, my Olympus C-770 is better. I really wished it wouldn't be, but it is. Especially with skin tones. Of course, unless you are in sunlight, the Olympus won't focus for crap. I am going to purchase an 81A-C filter tomorrow and play with skin tones. I still think even the best digital SLR still has some catching up to do as far as skin tones are concerned as compared to film but I hope that will change soon.

I do love the continuous shooting mode. I got a Sandisck Ultra II card (512 MB) and let me tell youse guys something (NYC has just got 2 represent), it shoots faster than 2 fps, and you can do that for all 200 photos if you want. I think that alone is worth the price of the camera. The optical IS is also great. Also, keep in mind Sandisk makes "Extreme SD cards". It says that they write at 9MB per second with 10MB sustained, whatever that means (I mean compared to the other cards). And it is cheaper than buying the Panasonic brand card.

My other complaint, why do these companies make lens hoods/adapter rings that cause a shadow when you use the built in flash. Couldn't they design it to work together? I could understand if it was a third party thing. But you can't use the lens hood with the built in flash, and I hate taking things on and off the camera, it's hard enough getting a great photo.

These are just my first snapshots with the darn thing. Some pictures are blurry, left them in on purpose so you can all see that this "Image Stabilizer" isn't infallable.
Pictures are here, enjoy:
http://public.fotki.com/shakeyhands/...kes_manhattan/

shakey hands is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 16, 2004, 6:23 PM   #2

I've been in serious photography for over 30 years and I normally avoid forums. However, I would like to offer a useful suggestion since you asked for opinions. In your composition of images you will render far greater impact by minimizing unessential elements. Most of your images have numerous elements (objects) which serve to detract from the subject you genuinely wish the viewer to focus upon. Eliminating surrounding objects (elements) that are not critical to the subject makes images far more compeling.

As for the camera's ability to render really sharp images, I'm afraid it doesn't do it for me. I think "YOU" said it best when you remarked that the image quality is "hmmmm".

This is a wonderful camera with a very respectable manufacturer behind the lens and it serves its purpose well in reaching out andat least"capturing" far off images. However, I have yet to see what I consider to be an exquistely sharp image from the FZ family of cameras. Yes, I've seen some decently sharp images but none yet that are memorably "tack" sharp. That doesn't make this a bad camera by any means. It will capture very nice images if used properly and satisfy many people. However, in my humble opinion I have yet to see a really striking "WoW" image from the FZ family.

I fully encourage you to continue shooting if the images you see are meeting what you expected and hoped to obtain. At the end, that is what genuinely matters.

Dark Cobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 16, 2004, 6:40 PM   #3

I agree with you. I can't get sharp photos from the darn thing. My Olympus C-770 takes better pictures, overall. I just got the FZ-20 b/c the 770 didn't have the IS and the AF assist lamp (and most of my pics, with the exception of summertime,are shot at birthday parties, get togethers, etc).

I think the autofocus is below par. I just took it out shooting at the park with my girlfirend's kids and most of the pics are out of focus when it comes to the kids, of course it found something very insignificant to focus on. And I was using the same focus mode that I use with the C-770. I am sure I could try a different mode, maybe set the camera to portrait, but all of this for a consumer camera, c'mon Panasonic, what were they thinking.

Thank you for your suggestions and opinions, I appreciate the honesty.
shakey hands is offline   Reply With Quote