Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Sep 16, 2004, 6:49 PM   #1

Ok, I took it out with the girls to the park. Where we frequent (usually it is me and my Olympus C-770). Now of course the girls were running around, but I always got solid shots with my 770. As I was taking pictures with my FZ20 today, thru the LCD everything looked in focus, but when I got home, almost none of the pictures of the girls faces were in focus. The camera found something else to focus on, or was just blurry. I had it set the same way I set my Olympus. Program mode, the AF was their default (within the little square).

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"Now I know there is a portrait mode, so maybe I should try that, and also the manual says that the "fastest" focusing method is the three boxes across the center of the frame, so I could try that. But ya know what I am thinkin'......"This is to much f'in trouble for a consumer camera". I wasn't in an extreme situation, I wasn't at a sporting event where people would be moving more quickly. I lost a whole day of potentially good pics (I don't get to see the girls that often). I am pissed.

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"So....has anyone else had trouble with this (i.e. focusing on your subject, esp. if it isn't standing still), and if so, what settings would you recommend. I do know that I need to experiment, and I want so bad to like this camera, but it is making it really, really hard!

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"
shakey hands is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 17, 2004, 12:04 AM   #2

I find real strange things with this camera too. I'm hoping its just because I'm new to digital cameras.
I was trying to take a picture of the bathroom faucet, its chrome and shines the light off real nice. Looking through the LCD I can see the faucet nice and clear, as soon as I press the shutter down a little to get auto focus it always goes to a blurr and I cant take the photo. I have tried different settings, different dial modes and manual but the focus still goes blurry as soon as I click the button.
Am I doing something wrong here?

thanks
hehehemann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 17, 2004, 3:10 AM   #3

I have a suspicionregardingthe bathroom faucet bright chrome image. Most auto focus systems will get quite confused by extremely bright shinny reflective images. Pointingmost autofocus devices at a nearby mirror or any other nearby object that is quite shinny and reflective as a mirror will at best confuse the heck out of the autofocusing system. You may never achieve a true "lock" and if you do it may well be a false reading.

In such situations I always recommend the photographer rely on manual focus. Most of the time the auto focusing system will be just fine, but in unique situations such as a highly reflective bright chrome surface as yours . . . Manual Focus is the way to go.
Dark Cobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 17, 2004, 4:31 AM   #4

Spot focus seems to do the trick for me if the camera has trouble focusing on right subject. The FZ20 has four AF options now, compared to the 2 the FZ10 has. So far they all seem to work well for me. I think focusing under dim lighting is a big improvement as well.

I only got my FZ20 yesterday so haven't had much chance to take it out for a spin. I spent last night trying out non-flash photography in the apartment and on the balcony. I have put some shots here: http://www.imagestation.com/album/?id=3699040093 if anyone is interested.

The balcony shots all taken from same location on tripod. OIS off. Wanted to see how the max zoom did under low lighting conditions. The wideangle shot should give you a relative idea as to where I was pointing the camera.

Jawis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 17, 2004, 11:32 AM   #5

How close to the faucet were you? Closer than 1 foot will not focus in Normal Mode. Try Macro Mode. See http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/re...ssage=10288876

Fred
fmoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 17, 2004, 12:41 PM   #6

The faucet was about 2 1/2 feet away from me, I tried in so many different settings including macro mode but as soon as the shutter was pressed the the image on the LCD went out of focus and I got nothing but a blur.
In manual mode its still real hard to get a good clear shot. The focus just wont come clear.
hehehemann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 17, 2004, 3:36 PM   #7

Select the multi zone focus (up to 9 zones). Once focus the LCD will show you what its focusing on. Any mirrored or shiny object may will cause auto focus to hunt. I believe that's mention as footnote in the manual.

Start testing by shooting outdoors in good light. Proceed to indoor setting so you can evaluate things logically.

Usinf SPOT mode can be very tricky. If you accidently place SPOT area on an object in the background, your subject will be out of focus. Multi zone works best for me.
Panasonic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 17, 2004, 6:20 PM   #8

thank you for the advice! How about that three meter mode, I tried it yesterday, and it seemed to work well focusing on the mess in my home office. I primarily take pictures of my two girls, so what winds up happening is one is in focus and the other isn't. I know I could stop down the aperture to f8 to increase DOF but that still doesn't always work.
shakey hands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 17, 2004, 7:38 PM   #9

shakey hands wrote:
Quote:
I primarily take pictures of my two girls, so what winds up happening is one is in focus and the other isn't. I know I could stop down the aperture to f8 to increase DOF but that still doesn't always work.Doe is the Olyc770 able
Does the Oly c770 get them both in focus? What amount of zoom are you using? The DOF decreases withincreasing zoom.
Old Sep 17, 2004, 7:52 PM   #10

hehehemann wrote:
Quote:
The faucet was about 2 1/2 feet away from me
Were you zoomed in? At 6x zoom from 2.5 ft you might not get focus. It might try and then fail.Cab youget closer?Certainly the shinny surface could be adding to the problem.