Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Sep 17, 2004, 5:21 AM   #1

... New Nikon Coolpix 8800 is released in the market (http://www.steves-digicams.com/pr/ni...cp8800_pr.html)

the only advantage of FZ20 is 12x zoom compared to 10x of Nikon 8800 and the F2.8 Leica lens throughout the zoom range. other than that, everything in FZ20 is inferior to 8800. :|

stop thatmediocrity Panasonic! if you want to make your FZxx survive the competition, listen to your customers' complains. don't give your loyal fansa mediocre improvement(s?) if you want them to stay withyou.

spectator is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 17, 2004, 6:17 AM   #2

The F2.8 throughout the zoom range is the main reason why I bought the FZ series in the first place. So far been quite happy with the 1 day I've had FZ20.

Having said that I had a Nikon E5000 and it took some great pictures. Very flash happy tho'. My current Olympus 5060 seems to fire the flash off a lot as well, but battery life on this camera is excellent.

Hope they have addressed the shutter lag, slow data upload and short battery life in this new Nikon.
Jawis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 17, 2004, 6:31 AM   #3

Jawis wrote:
Quote:
The F2.8 throughout the zoom range is the main reason why I bought the FZ series in the first place. So far been quite happy with the 1 day I've had FZ20.

Having said that I had a Nikon E5000 and it took some great pictures. Very flash happy tho'. My current Olympus 5060 seems to fire the flash off a lot as well, but battery life on this camera is excellent.

Hope they have addressed the shutter lag, slow data upload and short battery life in this new Nikon.

read imaging-resource's review and you might change your mind keeping your fz20.

http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/CP8800/CP88A.HTM
spectator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 17, 2004, 6:46 AM   #4

then why dont you take your self to the Nikon forum,,,,and also buy your self the Nikon master peice?

OR learn to use the FZ20 to its best potential

Joy
bcelliot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 17, 2004, 8:49 AM   #5

spectator wrote:
read imaging-resource's review and you might change your mind keeping your fz20.

http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/CP8800/CP88A.HTM
[/quote]

"Because we've only seen a prototype sample of the Coolpix 8800 at this point, we can't really make any comments on its image quality."

That link really doesn't tell us much, does it?
saarela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 17, 2004, 8:58 AM   #6

spectator wrote:
Quote:
... New Nikon Coolpix 8800 is released in the market (http://www.steves-digicams.com/pr/ni...cp8800_pr.html)

the only advantage of FZ20 is 12x zoom compared to 10x of Nikon 8800 and the F2.8 Leica lens throughout the zoom range. other than that, everything in FZ20 is inferior to 8800. :|

stop that mediocrity Panasonic! if you want to make your FZxx survive the competition, listen to your customers' complains. don't give your loyal fans a mediocre improvement(s?) if you want them to stay with you.

Well i really do hope this Nikon is a superior camera, its costs nearly twice as much as the FZ20!!
hehehemann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 17, 2004, 9:30 AM   #7

OK, lets compare them

First off, the Nikon is twice the price of the panasonic. So we should expect around double the specs in many area (of course that is just a rough estimate).

Ok, the Nikon has an 8 megapixel as compared to the 5 megapixel of the FZ20. But that is what you get from the extra $$$$.

FZ20 goes to 420mm, the Nikon goes to 350mm. Granted that isn't a huge difference, but it is noticable. Also, the FZ20 has F2.8 throughout, whever the Nikon goes to F4.9 (got that number on the DPreview site)

The FZ20 has a stronger rated built in flash (not that is all that important because if you already spent $1000 on the Nikon, you will probably spend more $ for a external flash).

Metering on the Nikon might be better? Not sure what all the number mean. I guess a real test would be needed to make sure on that.

The Nikon has a slightly faster allowable shutter speed, but who actually uses the 1/2000 more than once in their life? But the Nikon also has a bulb feature

FZ20 has a higher FPS on burst mode (but lower total), the Nikon has a lower FPS but a higher total. Take your pick on that.

Nikon has a better movie mode. But if I had that spare $500 from buying the FZ20 rather than the 8800, I could buy myself a dedicated movie camera (but that is beside the point). But who actaully seriously takes movies with these cameras?

Nikon has an included remote, but you can buy one for the FZ20 (I think you can at least) with all that money you saved getting the FZ20.

Nikon has RAW and Tiff, FZ20 only has Tiff.

Nikon takes CF cards, FZ20 takes SD. Take your pick on that one. (the FZ20 includes a 16MB card, the Nikon has none)

FZ20 has a 2" LCD, the Nikon has a 1.8". However the Nikon is a twisting one, which is an big improvement, and the only spec so far that is a good deal better than the FZ20, beside the Megapixel number).

The Nikon's EVF has more pixels, which is another good improvement.

The FZ20 is lighter, smaller, and more compact than the Nikon

That basically concludes all the differences between the two cameras. I believe I have included everything...

The Nikon does have improvements: More Megapixels, Better LCD/EVF, Has RAW. But is that worth $500 more? Well, you decide on that one. But I personnally think the FZ20 is a better value for the money.
blinblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 17, 2004, 10:07 AM   #8

How in the world can you compare a camera with $999 MSRP to around $500 MSRP?
luckycat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 17, 2004, 11:03 AM   #9

Guys, Nikon is my second choice.

Panasonic is my first. I love Lumix.

NikonPanasonic Lumix
LifeWorld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 17, 2004, 12:04 PM   #10

I agree...how can anyone compare cameras with that big of a price difference? Even if the Nikon IS better (and no one really knows for sure yet), I certainly can't afford one! I love my FZ20!
Mare is offline   Reply With Quote