Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Sep 18, 2004, 4:37 PM   #1

I went to watch my nephew in a football game today, and took some interesting shots with the FZ20.

Here's a demonstration of that incredible big zoom lens:

[align=center]Fully Wide:[/align]

[align=center][/align]

[align=center][/align]

[align=center]Full 12x Optical Zoom:[/align]

[align=center][/align]

[align=center][/align]

[align=center]Full 48x Digital Zoom:[/align]

[align=center][/align]

[align=left]These photos were shot within seconds of each other, as the coach gave a pep talk to the team. As you can see from the wide shot, I was about 25 yards away at the time.[/align]

[align=left]Another good shot which demonstrates the capabilities of the camera:[/align]

[align=center][/align]

[align=left]This was shot from all the way on the opposite sidelines, using "Sports Mode". The camera did an awesome job of freezing the action![/align]

[align=left]Read more of my impressions of the FZ20 at http://www.zimfamilycockers.com/Panasonic_Lumix_DMC-FZ20.html[/align]
Jim Zim is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 18, 2004, 8:14 PM   #2

Nice pictures, Jim, thanks for sharing. I'm looking still into getting an FZ20, just watching out for any other cameras coming out in the next 30 days for the Christmas push...
luckycat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 18, 2004, 11:17 PM   #3

hi Jim,

when you are taking these nice action photos, are you using any type of mono/tripod? even with the is, the photos exceptionally sharp. Are you pre-focusing on a particular area of the field, then taking the photo as the action comes to that pre-focused location, or is the camera's focusing so quick that you can literally "point and shoot"

thanks

nacha
nacha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 19, 2004, 11:25 AM   #4

I was using a tripod, and I noticed all the "big boys" with expensive digital SLRs on the sidelines were doing the same. The optical image stabilizer can only do so much... it can't work miracles... so if you're going to try to shoot something with full zoom you are always going to get the best results using a tripod. This goes for any camera, not just the Panasonics.

As for focus, I was in manual focus mode.
Jim Zim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 20, 2004, 3:11 PM   #5

ok nice stuff! thanks alot

have a quick question, when shooting sport, is there much of a delay when you press the shutter button? do you lose the subject for fast movement such as sport? (is there much of a delay once the photo has been shot and is being saved)
JoeB_UK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 20, 2004, 9:36 PM   #6

hi jim,

forgot to ask. what iso setting are you using for these action shots?

thanks
nacha is offline   Reply With Quote