Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Sep 22, 2004, 1:31 AM   #11

There have been very few reports of FZ1, FZ2, orFZ10 camera failures in the various Panasonic userforums. Theexceptionswere some rare early failures (covered by the 90 day warranty) and extreme user abuse (someone dropped his FZ1 down a mountainside, twice, and it survived undamaged). The entire line seems to be rugged and reliable, although I admit my own FZ10 is treated like an egg.

Based on that track record, you probably don't need to spend the money on extended warranties. Most of the time, they're high-profit items for retailers: the typical cost is 10-15% a year of the MSRP, and it's obvious that the actual failure rates are much lower than that.
Charlie Howard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 22, 2004, 5:41 AM   #12

I got a letter from Panasonic asking if I'd like to take a 3 year extended warranty for my FZ10 for £165.00 which is $295.96 at the current exchange rate ! Not sure whether its worth taking out.
HarjTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 22, 2004, 3:34 PM   #13

It looks like you can also purchase a MACK extended warranty from a store by itself, without the purchase of a camera (at least based in info from the MACK web site).

Here is one example, the Mack warranty for digital cameras less than $1000 for 3 years (3 years AFTER mfg warranty expires) for only $23. I wonder if this is really true? I'd be willing to pay $25 for an additional 3 yrs of coverage.

http://www.compuplus.com/insidepage....k=searchViewed
luckycat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 25, 2004, 3:22 PM   #14

luckycat,

Thanks for the link. I've been checking on the Mack warranty, and I've seen good and bad comments, as I did with CC one, so given that the Mack warranty is $23, I'll probably be going with that.

Thanks again,

Jim
jimcpl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 29, 2004, 8:50 AM   #15

Yes, me too. I just got this 3 yr warranty, I figure for $30 (w/s/h, what a rip), it's worth at least a try. Good luck to you.
luckycat is offline   Reply With Quote