Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Sep 20, 2004, 10:05 PM   #1

Hi,

I'm thinking of buying a Panasonic DMC-FZ20K this week, and I was kind
of surprised that the manufacturer's warranty is 12 months parts, but
only 3 months labor. Given the short labor warranty, I'm now
considering also purchasing an extended warranty from the place I plan
to buy the camera, Circuit City.

Please no flames!!

I've read through the terms & conditions (all 8 pages), and I think that
their "CityAdvantage" basically extends the manufacturer warranty to 3
years, from Panasonic's 12 month parts/3 months labor, for ~$90. I
understand it doesn't cover abuse and wear and tear.

I've had digital cameras before, but this would be the first one that
I've purchased that is this expensive, otherwise, I'd probably not be
considering the extended warranty.

I'm not looking for horror stories, but I would appreciate any comments,
both good or bad, about experiences with CityAdvantage and digital
cameras.

Thanks in advance,
Jim
jimcpl is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 20, 2004, 10:54 PM   #2

I'm wondering the same thing, but I did not purchase from CircuitCity. I think Panasonic offers some kind of extended warranty program as well (see their web site) but don't know much much it is. At a minimum purchase on a credit card that doubles your mfg warranty. I have done this (with AmEx) and twice used it for digital-type items with minimal hassle - just save the monthly statement with your item on it.
luckycat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 20, 2004, 11:48 PM   #3

luckycat,

Thanks for your response. I checked, andPanasonic has some info at http://catalog2.panasonic.com/webapp...?storeId=11251, but no pricing .

Has anyone here purchased an extended warranty from Panasonic?

- How much did it cost (3 years)?

- What was your experience with their service/coverage?

Thanks,

Jim
Old Sep 21, 2004, 2:52 PM   #4

Hi,

I just spoke to Panasonic, and it looks like 2 yrs. is ~$100, and you can get a 3 yr. for about $50 more. Still trying to decide, and would appreciate any feedback on either of these plans.

Jim
Old Sep 21, 2004, 4:55 PM   #5

You may want to check with vanns.com.

They offer a very nice warranty and after five years if you do not exercise it, you get a partial credit back on the warranty purchase.

Check with them for details.

They will have the fz20 by end of this month, I believe.

digcamfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21, 2004, 8:48 PM   #6

If you get the extended warranty through the dealer, double check when it kicks in. Some dealers insist its when the full manufacturers warranty is up. Which means you can still have 9 months of no coverage for service before the extended warranty kicks in.

FZFUN
FZFUN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21, 2004, 9:38 PM   #7

jimcpl wrote:
Quote:
Hi,

I just spoke to Panasonic, and it looks like 2 yrs. is ~$100, and you can get a 3 yr. for about $50 more. Still trying to decide, and would appreciate any feedback on either of these plans.

Jim
Interesting..is that two years after their 1 yr warranty expires? So a total of 3 yrs really (well, 90days-1 yr no labor I guess!)? Or is it a total of 2 yrs for $100? I'm not sure if it would be worth it, if I know my warranty is doubled via my AmEx..but I'm not sure about the labor portion. I think they just double that, so I'm only covered there for 180 days.

Why in the world is the Panasonic warranty not a full year P & L?

What are some 3rd party extended labor alternatives? Can someone off the street get a MACK warranty, as is sold at digitical camera shops?
luckycat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21, 2004, 9:44 PM   #8

Got my new fz20 today from Circuit City and didn't go for the extended warranty. Maybe because I figure in another year there will be an updated version. Still have a couple of weeks to decide on the warranty. Hmmm.

Oh yeah this camera rocks. Took a pic of my dog under my computer table and you can count every hair on her head. Ordered the teleconverter for max distance now have to decide if I'm going to sell my 2 month old fz10. I hate eBay but I may have to resort to it.

Suzan
ImKayd1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21, 2004, 10:49 PM   #9

I purchased the FZ20 from cc and got the extended warranty. I did the same when I bought my Sony from compUSA 2 years ago. Didn't need it for the Sony...but if I DIDN"T have it, something would have happened to that camera for sure!
Mare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 22, 2004, 1:09 AM   #10

luckycat wrote:
Quote:
jimcpl wrote:
Quote:
Hi,

Jim
Interesting..is that two years after their 1 yr warranty expires? So a total of 3 yrs really (well, 90days-1 yr no labor I guess!)? Or is it a total of 2 yrs for $100? I'm not sure if it would be worth it, if I know my warranty is doubled via my AmEx..but I'm not sure about the labor portion. I think they just double that, so I'm only covered there for 180 days.

Why in the world is the Panasonic warranty not a full year P & L?

What are some 3rd party extended labor alternatives? Can someone off the street get a MACK warranty, as is sold at digitical camera shops?

luckycat,

The answers to your questions are really unclear. All that Panasonic has on their website is a FAQ, where it says:

"When does the Panasonic Customer Care Plan go into effect?

The Plan begins on the day after the labor portion of the manufacturer's warranty has expired. If you purchase the plan after the labor portion has expired, the plan begins after your payment has been received."

I'm trying to get a copy of their terms & conditions, but if anyone here knows the answer, please post!

Jim