Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Sep 20, 2004, 10:10 PM   #1

Hi,

As I mentioned in my previous post, I'm about to go get a DMC-FZ20.

I've seen some posts about bags/cases for the FZ20, but I'm looking for a "quick" case, like with SLRs, where you pop part of the case off, and you can shoot. Not like a separate camcorder bag/case.

I've seen one post here (I think) that mentions using a regular SLR case, and I was wondering if anyone has found any SLR cases that fit the FZ20 nicely?

I'd also like to get a lens filter for it, just to protect the lens. I know that Panasonic has one, but was wondering if any 72mm UV or say, skylight, filter would do ok? I think I might already have some old ones for some of my old telphotos, so could I just use those?

Thanks,

Jim
jimcpl is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 21, 2004, 8:10 AM   #2

I got one from Circuit City when I bought my FZ10. The sales guy handed it to me and said it was a special. It is a gray color and has room for the strap to pass through. It also has the Lumix logo on it. I would see if they have any left?
Rookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21, 2004, 8:34 AM   #3

Rookie,

Any chance that you could post a pic of it?

Thanks,

Jim
jimcpl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21, 2004, 8:46 AM   #4

I do not have it with me. It is the same shape as the camera without the lens hood. Itis a clam shell design and has a zipper on each side.
Old Sep 21, 2004, 10:46 AM   #5

I just purchased a Lowepro Off Road. It's awesome!

http://www.ebags.com/lowepro/off_roa...m?modelid=3320
Spanky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21, 2004, 11:10 AM   #6

Putting a 72mm on the lens hood is a bad idea, since placing a filter in the front breaks the function of the lens hood. However FZ20 has a pedal shape lens hood, but I think the pedal hood is still not enough for covering the 72mm filter.

I used to have a 72mm UV filter (a cheap Sunpak one) on my FZ10's original lens hood for protection. After many outdoor shoots, I found nearly half of my photos has different degree of glares. If the filter is removed then no further photos produce any glare. Also the filter can never be screwed tightly on the original plastic lens hood.

Later on I bought a phayee adaptor for my FZ10, which is made of metal and it fits a 62mm filter. The adaptor has an extra metal lens hood to cover the 62mm filter. I purchased a 62mm B+W UV haze filter for protection. Since then I never have any glare on my shootings (indoor/outdoor/macro, direct or bounced flash). The adaptor is cheap(around USD$18 ). If you are going to get any quality 62mm filter instead of 72mm, then you probably has already saved the money for the adaptor.

My conclusion is... don't buy any 72mm filter for FZ10/20. 72mm filters are expensive, they can easily loose out from the plasic lens hood, and placing a filter in the front can produce glares. Maybe a multicoated 72mm filter may help, but for the same amount of money you'd better invest an adaptor and a 62mm filter (plus you have the option to mount those 3rd party wide/tele lens).

Just my 2 cents...
:-)
akirabbq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21, 2004, 11:59 AM   #7

Jim,

I said I got the case at Circuit City, but that was wrong. I got it at Wolf Camera. I was brain dead this morning. Sorry!