Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Oct 20, 2004, 12:29 PM   #91

OH... NO...

Here we go again:shock:
bobc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 20, 2004, 2:43 PM   #92

NickTrop wrote:
Quote:
"Right. I know all about that camera. A classic. Note the name. It's a "Leica-Minolta CL" NOT a Leica.
Quote:
Au Contraire! That camera was marketed and sold as Leica Minolta CL, Leica CL and Minolta CL depending upon the country/region.
Quote:

"2) Also in the '70s, Zeiss began a cooperation with Yashica to build superior SLRs utilizing Zeiss lenses under the Contax name. This relationship is still going strong today."

--> Right - Contax, great cams. Note the name, "Contax". Not a "Zeiss" camera or a Yashica. Note that Zeiss, per your post MAKES the lens on the Contax.

Thanks for proving my point. I refer you to #6 of my cheat-sheet:

6. If ABC Co. co-designs a widget with XYZ Co, and XYZ Co pays ABC Co. to also use their name, but the widget is produced by XYZ Co, it is an ABC/XYZ co-designed, ABC-branded, XYZ Co. widget.

It's inaccurate to call this a Leica lens.
Quote:
1) Exactly what proof do you have that the Panasonic engineers contributed the majority of the design? If it's over 50% Leica designed, it's a Leica lens.
Quote:
2) What proof do you have that Panasonic pays Leica specifically for the use of their name?
Quote:
3) Is it equally inaccurate to call the Digilux2 a Leica since it's built by Panasonic?
Quote:
4) Is the Honda Gold Wing still a Japanese motorcycle even though it's built in Ohio?
shootr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 20, 2004, 3:57 PM   #93

shootr2 wrote:
Quote:
NickTrop wrote:
Quote:
"Right. I know all about that camera. A classic. Note the name. It's a "Leica-Minolta CL" NOT a Leica.
Quote:
Au Contraire!┬* That camera was marketed and sold as Leica Minolta CL, Leica CL and Minolta CL depending upon the country/region.
Quote:

"2) Also in the '70s, Zeiss began a cooperation with Yashica to build superior SLRs utilizing Zeiss lenses under the Contax name. This relationship is still going strong today."

--> Right - Contax, great cams. Note the name, "Contax". Not a "Zeiss" camera or a Yashica. Note that Zeiss, per your post MAKES the lens on the Contax.

Thanks for proving my point. I refer you to #6 of my cheat-sheet:

6. If ABC Co. co-designs a widget with XYZ Co, and XYZ Co pays ABC Co. to also use their name, but the widget is produced by XYZ Co, it is an ABC/XYZ co-designed, ABC-branded, XYZ Co. widget.

It's inaccurate to call this a Leica lens.
Quote:
1) Exactly what proof do you have that the Panasonic engineers contributed the majority of the design?┬* If it's over 50% Leica designed, it's a Leica lens.
Quote:
2) What proof do you have that Panasonic pays Leica specifically for the use of their name?
Quote:
3) Is it equally inaccurate to call the Digilux┬*2 a Leica since it's built by Panasonic?
Quote:
4) Is the Honda Gold Wing still a Japanese motorcycle even though it's built in Ohio?
NickTrop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 20, 2004, 4:23 PM   #94

... no offense but I'm really bored with this thread. WHAT-ever. But I will say that the percentage a company designs something is inconseqencial - even if it's 5% it's still co-designed.

"Au Contraire! That camera was marketed and sold as Leica Minolta CL, Leica CL and Minolta CL depending upon the country/region."

You may be correct, but I am not aware of this camera going by different names in different regions but I'm not a Leicaphile. Below is a good article about the CL and M series Leicas if interested.

http://www.cameraquest.com/mguide.ht...a / Minolta CL
Old Dec 4, 2004, 11:21 AM   #95

OH NO! Not THAT thread again! Sorry, couln't resist, even though it's anecdotal. From Bassman's post here:

"The other guy in another camera shop that was a Leica lense distributer was very helpful, but said that they didn't keep the Lumix camera in stock because it wasn't a proper Leica lense. He said that he had been to the german factory last year and that the Panasonic collaboration was discussed ,and he was basically told that it wasn't a true Lecia lense and pretty much something they'd knocked up so tha panasonic could pay them a license to use the name." http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...96&forum_id=23

:lol:

Old Dec 4, 2004, 12:47 PM   #96

NickTrop wrote:
Quote:
OH NO! Not THAT thread again! Sorry, couln't resist, even though it's anecdotal. From Bassman's post here:

"The other guy in another camera shop that was a Leica lense distributer was very helpful, but said that they didn't keep the Lumix camera in stock because it wasn't a proper Leica lense. He said that he had been to the german factory last year and that the Panasonic collaboration was discussed ,and he was basically told that it wasn't a true Lecia lense and pretty much something they'd knocked up so tha panasonic could pay them a license to use the name." http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...mp;forum_id=23

:lol:

Nick... This thread is how our relashonship started (on the wrong foot). And since you brought it back to life... I must say...

There is probably a small group of executives (the ones involved with the decissions) who know for sure (100%). That being said... You have made many points to think about regarding this (knowing now more than I knew comming into this forum). And I now recognize & appreciate your research on this matter, as well as the fact that you could be right.

What ever it is... It's one damn good lense... And... FZ's ROCK!!!
bobc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7, 2004, 2:17 PM   #97

NickTrop wrote:
Quote:
Two of Leica's most popular lenses, the DC Vario-Summicron and Vario-Elmarit, are featured in our Lumix[suP]®[/suP] line of digital still cameras. These fine lenses give digital photos the emotional warmth, impact, and subtlety of those shot with a film-based camera. With Leica and Lumix® you get the best of both worlds: outstanding optics and innovative technology.
style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #666666"http://www2.panasonic.com/webapp/wcs...17168#feature1

doesn't the term "Leica's" in english means that Leica ownes them ? is it called genitive ?

just curious.

avenirv is offline   Reply With Quote