Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Sep 28, 2004, 12:12 PM   #51

Nick, on september 7 you wrote:

"I can't afford a Canon DSLR, so for now - thankfully, there's the Lumix line with its great Leica zoom with IS. It's the next best thing if a DSLR is out of your price range, and has a high price/performance ratio. Part of the fun is learning how to shoot around its constraints and experimenting with it"

Nick

I totally agree!!!! :-)
Klaas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 28, 2004, 3:41 PM   #52

Yes! I posted that! Change that to read simply "great lens" or "great telephoto lens". I posted that before I read up on it. Like everyone else, I considered this a "Leica" lens, having no reason to think otherwise - name on lens = Leica, therefore Leica lens, as most other people do. As I began to read up a little more, I determined that maybe the Leica name on the lens is more hype than anything else. I held on to the assumption tha Leica made it, or subcontracted its production, or made part of it, etc. This doesn't appear to be the case.

Again - I'm not knocking the Panasonic cameras - at all, or the lens. If I was in the market for a camera, I would go with the FZ-3 or the FZ-20 based on my ownership experience (not the label on the lens...)with the FZ1v2. Nothing competes with these models that's currently out there. They're great cameras.

All I'm saying is I think it's more than a bit of a stretch to say it's a Leica, and if the "Leica" name on the Panasonic camera leses is a factor in your purchase, maybe you should not weight it as heavily. Leica does not produce this lens. or any part of it. Their talk of "collaboration" is suspect to me, having learned that the "Leica" lens on the Panasonic DMC LC-5 appears to be on 1/2 dozen other cameras under different names, including Carl Zeiss(!)

Just "keepin' it real" here, Klaas.
NickTrop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 28, 2004, 6:00 PM   #53

YOU ARE MIS-INFORMING EVERYONE WHO READS THESE POSTS!!!

YOU CANNOT 100% PROOVE WHAT YOU SAY!!!

YOU ARE TAKING SOMETHING THAT IS PROBABLY ALREADY BLOWN OUT OF PERPORTION AND BLOWING IT MORE OUT OF PERPORTION!!!

PLEASE STOP IT!!!

IF YOU WANT TO 100% BELIEVE WHAT YOU THINK YOU KNOW, PLEASE KEEP IT TO YOURSELF!!!

IF YOU WANT TO POST AN OPEN MINDED OPINION THAT IT IS POSSIBLE THAT THESE LENSES MAY NOT BE WHAT THEY CLAIM TO BE, PLEASE DO SO!!!

BUT!!!

PLEASE STOP MIS-INFORMING THESE PEOPLE!!!

BOBC!!!
bobc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 28, 2004, 6:47 PM   #54

I agree with bobc. Get your facts first and stop all of this finger pointing.

I found this statementon panasonic's website atthe link shown below for the FZ10:

The LEICA DC VARIO-ELMARIT lenses are manufactured using measurement instruments and quality assurance systems that have been certified by Leica Camera AG based on the company's quality standards.

http://panasonic.co.jp/pavc/global/l...z10/leica.html

Take it for what it is,it is stillgreatlens and in my opinion a Leica!

Rookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 28, 2004, 6:58 PM   #55

Thank you Rookie

bobc
Old Sep 28, 2004, 7:03 PM   #56

i must say that i really enjoyed this thread. both Nick and bob have put forth their thoughts in a very lucid manner. i must agree with nick that a $500.00 36-432mm "Leica" piece of glass hot off the germany factory ovenis a bitof wishful thinking. However, i agree with bob that a lot about how things work is all about the design process. thats how i imangined this panasonic/leica collaberation worked. mabey these guys sat around their local starbucks drawing lens designson napkins over a doulde decaf latte whatever. imparting design knowledge is a crucial component for anything to work well. i think i could be argued that knowing how to make something work is more important than the actual making of it. Perhaps panasonic just didnt have the know how to produce a 2.8f 36-432mm lens, and leica says here is how you do it. now pay us and slap our name on your lens. im ok with this. we are all winners here.

regards

nacha
nacha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 28, 2004, 8:05 PM   #57

NickTrop wrote:
Quote:
Are these great cameras for the money? Yes. Are the lenses on them great? Yes! Is it fair to say these are true "Leica" or "Zeiss" lenses? That's another matter. You might take it with a grain when the salesman at Ritz starts on his "Leica this, Leica that" dissertation when talking about the Panasonics. Still buy the camera, though ; )
I still can't find any logic in this -- other than taking a salesperson's assertions with a grain of salt, which is always wise. Here's an executive summary of the assertions made in this thread:

The lenses are "great", but shouldn't be described as "Leica" or "Zeiss" lenses. Why not? Because the names might lead buyers to believe that the lenses are great.

If anyone is prepared to assert (and back it up) that the Lumix lenses are not good enough to deserve the Leica name, I'm interested. That's precisely what I haven't seen in this thread.
Robb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 29, 2004, 12:07 PM   #58

The cost of this lens if manufactured by Leica would probably send the camera out of the competitive price range. It is a Leica designed lens, manufactured by a company to keep it in the right price range. I have not seen a similar type camera with a zoom lensthat can keep 2.8 throughout the full range.

I would love to see this lens coupled with a better CCD and see how crispthe photos would be. Maybe in the next FZ series of cameras?
Rookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 29, 2004, 1:56 PM   #59

"Leica or not, This camera speaks for itself."

Yep, I love my "Fluzi", and I'd love it just as much even if it was a "Cheap Ho".
lucky2505 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 29, 2004, 8:45 PM   #60

I would like to opoligise to NickTrop for being out of line.

I realize that these posts are for people to express their oppinions, and I should not have been so harsh.

It is possible that what he says is true, and he obviously has done some research to back up his theories.

Nick,

Please don't have any hard feelings about this. You are entitled to your oppinion like everyone else.

I was out of line, and am sorry for being way too harsh.

bobc