Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Oct 8, 2004, 9:26 AM   #81

I have had my FZ20 for almost a month now, and I love it. And no other lense can even be considered in the same legue as this one.

I suspect other companies in the future will try to mimic it's quality.

Welcome aboard.

bobc
bobc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 9, 2004, 11:03 AM   #82

Hi, i am new too, was an the search for informations about FZ1 and was directed to this forum. Nice one, really...

Ontopic:
I will quote a translation (by myself) fromthe "Lumix Photoguide":

"All Lumix-Cameras use Leica DC-lenses, which were designed together and produced underleica-quality-standardsin the japanese Panasonic-facility at Yamagata. (...)
In all cameras up to three aspherical glasses are used. They are produced at the Yamagata facility (one of the most modern production lines for aspherical glasses, which produces under the Leica quality standards)with Panasonic-measurement."

Sorry for my bad english, i can't translate it really good, but i belive that this is the right answer. The were designed together with Leica, but produced by panasonic. Thats, by the way, the same whatpanasonic says to me...
Recce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 10, 2004, 1:10 PM   #83

Recce wrote:
Quote:
Hi, i am new too, was an the search for informations about FZ1 and was directed to this forum. Nice one, really.
Hi Recce -

FZ-1. Good call. I still think this is the best of the line from a price/value perspective. Believe it when they say that it prints excellent 8X10's (actually, I do 8-1/2X 11 borderless...) Upgrading the firmware is a must, however. In case you haven't checked these out already, here's a couple links that are useful:

http://www.seedwiki.com/page.cfm?doc...25&wpid=135166

The person who wrote the link above has the wisdom of a sage as it pertains to this camera. Follow it blindly and do as they say. After getting an extra battery, I would highly recommend getting the Vivitar DF 200 flash. Shop around. I got it for $60 including shipping.

Another worthwhile read is the Van Ripper article, if you haven't read it already.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-srv...per/030807.htm

If there's anything I can do to help, shoot me an e-mail.

Warm regards,

Nick T.

NickTrop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 10, 2004, 5:41 PM   #84

Hi Nick T

nice article by Mr. Van Riper. didnt see a pub. date. when was it written? he really likes that LEICA GLASS LENS!!!

regards

nacha
nacha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 10, 2004, 5:57 PM   #85

Hi nacha -

I wish articles would print a pub-date, grrrrrrrrrrrr. Pet peeve. I think this was late 2002/early 2003 but that's just a guess.

Yes, he likes the "Leica" lens! But we both know better, don't we, darlin'?

Nick T.
Old Oct 10, 2004, 8:39 PM   #86

The purpose of "Trade Marks" or product names etc. is that the manufacture is given eclusive use of the names. so the public can identify the maker of the product. I wonder what would happen if some one would come out with a "Lieca Like Ziess Lens" or a Ziess/Lieca Lens. The whole thing is a mess. How will we know? Fortunately there are a lot of good lenses in the marketplace.
normc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 14, 2004, 12:45 AM   #87

NickTrop wrote:
Quote:
Hi Recce -

FZ-1. Good call. I still think this is the best of the line from a price/value perspective. Believe it when they say that it prints excellent 8X10's (actually, I do 8-1/2X 11 borderless...) Upgrading the firmware is a must, however. In case you haven't checked these out already, here's a couple links that are useful:

http://www.seedwiki.com/page.cfm?doc...mp;wpid=135166

The person who wrote the link above has the wisdom of a sage as it pertains to this camera. Follow it blindly and do as they say. After getting an extra battery, I would highly recommend getting the Vivitar DF 200 flash. Shop around. I got it for $60 including shipping.
The person who wrote the FAQis honoured byyour praise and wishes to mention that a revised and greatly expanded FAQ will bedonewhen his new baby allows him some sleep...

Anyway, the URL should be http://fz1.alexoren.com

alexo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 14, 2004, 11:53 AM   #88

The praise is well-deserved. Thank you for putting out such useful information on this wonderful, underrated, and overlooked camera. You blazed the trail. Also, you dispelled the myth of using interpolation techniques, at least for me. If Fuji can claim "12 MP" res by upping the res 100% in-camera through interpolation, guess I can say the FZ-1 is a 4 MP camera. Doesn't matter about megapixels or resolution - the venus engine? The lens? Who knows... it just takes great pics that look great on 6X4's or blown up to larger sizes with or without boosting pixel density.

Congrats on the litte one! And - get some sleep! I remember those days.
Old Oct 20, 2004, 3:49 AM   #89

Given the way some folks are reacting to this Leica/Panasonic relationship, I gather many of you have a rather limited exposure to photography and it's "strange bedfellows". A couple of examples:

1) In the early '70s, Minolta and Leitzbegan a cooperativeagreement to share techlologies and designs. The first product of this agreement was the Leica Minolta CL (in various name versions)electronic interchangeable-lens rangefinder camera. The first SLR was Minolta's XE-7, produced in '76. However, in less than a year (an incredibly short time back then), Minolta stopped production and discontinued the XE-7. Shortly thereafter, Leica introduced their latest SLR, the R3 Electronic. It was basically 90% Minolta's XE-7, with a few minor tweaks to make it a Leica. A couple of years later, Minolta's XD-11 was discontinued and transformed into Leica's R4. And Minolta's CLE electronic interchangeable-lens rangefinder came along in '80. Do Leica users and afficionados consider these Mineicas to be any less worthy? Hardly....and many of the CLs had "Licensed by Leitz Wetzlar Made in Japan" stamped into the back of the body.

2)Also in the '70s,Zeiss began a cooperation with Yashica to build superior SLRs utilizing Zeiss lensesunder the Contax name. This relationship is still going strong today.

So my point is this: this concept of mutual cooperation between camera makers and lens makers is nothing new. And as long as Sony, Panasonic and Kodak work with the engineers and designers, and build the lenses to the QC standard that Zeiss, Leica and Schneider respectively demand to uphold their reputations for quality, and if the actual lenses perform as designed, who are we as consumers to complain?

In thewords of the Blues Brothers, "Whaddya want fer nothin'....a rrrrrrrrrrubber biscuit?"

David B.

shootr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 20, 2004, 11:24 AM   #90

"In the early '70s, Minolta and Leitz began a cooperative agreement to share techlologies and designs. The first product of this agreement was the Leica Minolta CL"

--> Right, I know all about that camera. A classic. Note the name. It's a "Leica-Minolta CL" NOT a Leica.

"2) Also in the '70s, Zeiss began a cooperation with Yashica to build superior SLRs utilizing Zeiss lenses under the Contax name. This relationship is still going strong today."

--> Right - Contax, great cams. Note the name, "Contax". Not a "Zeiss" camera or a Yashica. Note that Zeiss, per your post MAKES the lens on the Contax.

Thanks for proving my point. I refer you to #6 of my cheat-sheet:

6. If ABC Co. co-designs a widget with XYZ Co, and XYZ Co pays ABC Co. to also use their name, but the widget is produced by XYZ Co, it is an ABC/XYZ co-designed, ABC-branded, XYZ Co. widget.

It's inaccurate to call this a Leica lens.