Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Sep 26, 2004, 10:21 PM   #11
Fox

I know someone here must know the answer to my above questions.
Fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 27, 2004, 4:00 AM   #12

You are right, the lower the ISO (ISO stands for International Standards Organization), the less grain you get when using film. And it applies to digital cameras, although they usually use the term "noise". It is like the gain up function on a video camera, it allows you to shoot in lower light, but at a price, that price is the digital noise. But if the the difference is between ISO 64 & 80, I would bet that you won't be able to tell the difference side by side. Plus the circuitry in the FZ20 is newer, and lets hope better.

And I, too, am wondering why Susan likes the FZ10 over the FZ20!
shakey hands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 27, 2004, 1:39 PM   #13

Yes, you are only talking a half stop and the difference in grain would be neglible.
Jon_Doe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 27, 2004, 4:33 PM   #14
Fox

Well that answers all the questions but one. Who makes the best memory card for the FZ20?
Old Sep 27, 2004, 4:46 PM   #15

I think the FZ10 and FZ20 picture quality is pretty much the same. Except that FZ20 is one megapixel larger, so you will notice quality on a enlargement.

The only thing I am concern with and I don't know yet is if FZ20 focus faster. If it is, I am sold on it.

smilepak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 28, 2004, 8:31 AM   #16
Fox

Seems like one of the improvements on the FZ20 was faster focus. At least that is what the Pana site had to say I think:O
No one here has a favorite memory card for the FZ cameras?
Old Sep 28, 2004, 2:24 PM   #17

The FZ10 with (A LOT)less noise then the FZ20, therefore, you can expected(see actually) FZ10 has better transition on the color when you are taking sunset, or low light situation. This is a fact! I have been checking out samples after samples. If you will use your FZ20 in a good lighting situation and need a faster AF, then get the FZ20, otherwise FZ10 is no brainer. Oh, I used to own the FZ10, but give it away as my friend birthday gift.(when I heard the news about FZ20, what a mistake)

Oh, bye the way, the FZ10 has hotshoe and video with sounda and ISO down to 50 too. And more pixels on the same size of the ccd, when you do the larger print with noiser 5MP pic and less noiser 4MP, the result may surprise YOU that the 4MP with the same printed size with the 5MP are much cleaner and sharp.

Good Luck with your FZ hunting!

CheapPhoto

CheapPhoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 28, 2004, 8:37 PM   #18
Fox

How much more noise are we talking about between the FZ10 and 20? Does the improvements to the 20 out weigh the increased noise? My last camera was a Sony S75. Will these cameras do as well or better than the Sony?
Old Sep 29, 2004, 12:11 AM   #19

CheapPhoto wrote:
Quote:
Oh, bye the way, the FZ10 has hotshoe and video with sounda and ISO down to 50 too. And more pixels on the same size of the ccd, when you do the larger print with noiser 5MP pic and less noiser 4MP, the result may surprise YOU that the 4MP with the same printed size with the 5MP are much cleaner and sharp.
Have you actually made the test, taking the same picture with both cameras, or are you just assuming it? I ask this because I've heard that the noise reduction in the FZ20 is much better than the FZ10's, and that compensates for the extra Mp. So, again, how did you get to your conclusion?
José A. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 29, 2004, 6:16 AM   #20

Any pixels info used noise reduction before it record into a RAW or JPEG files, and then the details of the picture would be degraded. If you search the website checking out the FZ15 and FZ20 pics, then you would notice the FZ10 has a lot more detail pic then the FZ20. As for example, the feather of a bird would be much more detailed then the FZ20, if the picture taken just before sunset.(low light) The reason why, because the FZ20 use heavy noise reduction (since it has a lot more noise), you would see a very sharp image of the object but the surrounding (near the edge) with a very rough transparence.

Every CCD sensor has its ceiling of how many pixel you can put on with a certain size CCD, once you over the ceiling , the noise level would not be acceptable to some of us.

Why with good lighting the pic of FZ20 can be better than FZ10, because the signal are stronger than the noise, therefore, you can have a great pic. However, if the noise level is bigger than the signal, you would have lousy pics. Yes, I did saw it with my own eyes with actual print out of FZ10 and FZ20. In most cases, the FZ20 should be just fine, but FZ10 is the one I would pick to keep for a long time.

Regards

Cheap Photo

CheapPhoto is offline   Reply With Quote