Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Sep 23, 2004, 10:45 PM   #1

This is my first post so please be gentle. I just bought a Lumix LC33 and began to put it through its paces. I took several shots of my large sun filled backyard. I used the highest resolution setting and tried the different sharpness/Vivid, standard, natural settings. I then downloaded the shots and printed them 8"x10" uncropped on my Epson 875DC inkjet printer. To say I was unimpressed is an understatement. The only setting that seemed usable to me was the natural setting. All the greens had an unreal look to them. They were somewhat blotchy and over saturated, which seemed to wipe out the detail in the greens. Reds also seemed to be over saturated. I then tried my FZ1 that I had picked up sometime back and it seemed to be the same way with the greens. I then tried my trusty Sharp VE-CG40U 4mp with the same Canon lens as the G2 and the ball game was different. Everything seemed to look just about perfect in a 8"x10" from the Sharp. I know the Sharp has almost one more mega pixel, but the Panasonic is suppose to have a much better processor. I then went into photoshop and cut down the saturation and tweaked the color a little and the next print pretty much matched the Sharp print. Now maybe if I had printed just a 4"x6" or 5"x7" this would not have shown. I might be stretching the limits of both the FZ1 and the LC33, but I don't think so.

I guess my question is what should I be doing to get a more than acceptable 8"x10". I also have a Digital Rebel and don't even know why I mess with other cameras, but I like the size and the punch they pack, but maybe I'm expecting just too much. I've been a film photographer for many years and know my f-stops forward and backward, but this digital jargon is all new to me.

Thanks,

John
JW PHOTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 23, 2004, 11:04 PM   #2

John, think of it this way.

Inevitably there will be differences between models, in the same way there will be differences in brands of film. Despite the technological innovations, no group has ever agreed upon what looks best or most natural when it comes to color. There is no "perfect"natural color.

However, you can do the old film trick of shooting a color/grey card to help you balance the colors to your printer, and to develop a standard baseline compensation that will bring all photos a little closer to reality. Then you can tweak the camera settings or run a batch script to apply those changes. Of course if you change printers at some point, you may have to do it all again.

If you have a website where you can post photos and provide a link, that would help. Then it would be easier to see the problem.
brdavid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 23, 2004, 11:23 PM   #3

I guess I'm just used to the straight forward approach to film. I know what looks good to my eye and what seems to be coming straight out of the FZ1 and the LC33 doesn't look good, but when I tweak the images in photoshop - PRESTO!

I'm just a little puzzled because I thought the LC33 was made for the novice to be able to run to WalMart and make his/her prints right out of the camera.

Thanks for the advice on a web page. My Son-in-Law is a computer tech, so I guess I have a job for him. He owes me big time anyway.
JW PHOTO is offline   Reply With Quote