Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Sep 24, 2004, 12:09 AM   #1

I saw a discussion of a homemade slide copy adapter for the FZ10 a long time ago and, even though I swear I saved the text and/or link, I can't find it now. So I did a Google search on "Slide copy adapter", weeded out all the stuff I was not interested in, and came to a link entitled "Built [sic] your own Negative/Slide Copy Adapter for Nikon E5700"

http://forums.pbase.com/post?post_id=214006

It describes using mostly Cokin filter parts to create a pretty nice looking adapter for capturing slides (or negatives) onto digital media.

I do, however, have a few questions (for Andreas, the author of the project, if he is still around or others who are familiar with the Cokin system):

1. Would you use Cokin A or Cokin P filter adapters for a 62mm adapter tube (the Taiwanese Chen adapter)?

2. Are both filter holders the same size? Or is one an "A" size and the other a "P"?

3. The project site mentions nothing about an Adapter Ring which I understand is integral to the Cokin system. Is there something about the Coolpix 5700 adapter tube, Nikon UR-E8, that does away with the need for an adapter ring?

Dick

[Edited to correct pbase link address]
rschofield is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 26, 2004, 4:03 AM   #2

On the FZ10, you can take excellent photos of slides by just attaching the lens hood to the camera, attaching a UV filter to the hood, and resting the slides (one at a time) directly on the filter. The FZ10 will focus to within 17 mm of the outer surface of its lens. Before placing the slide, use the (white)ceiling as a target for manual White Balancing, and turn off OIS (the slide will move with the camera and you don't want the camera to compensate for movement).

Place the slide on the filter in landscape orientation, zoom just a little, so that the image mostly fills the viewfinder, then aim at the ceiling, half-press the shutter (in normal Program mode, not in Macro mode) to let it focus, release the shutter, switch to Manual focus mode to lock in the setting,and start taking pictures.

Keep the camera aimed at the ceiling as you shoot, and you can "scan" as quickly as you can swap slides. The resolution is not ashigh as witha slide scanner, but the results are surprisingly good, and the price is right.

I posted a longer description of this, with samples, at DPReviews late last year, but don't remember the link anymore.
Charlie Howard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 26, 2004, 11:29 AM   #3

Thanks, Charlie.

I found your original thread at

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/re...essage=6892885

I don't use the included hood so, therefore, don't have a 72mm filter. The Chen adapter that I have would have the slide practically touching the front of the lens and would, I think, be too close. I'll try it anyway just to see.

I don't plan on converting my entire slide collection to digital, so I don't want to turn this into a big project.

The "Professional Digital Slide Copier / Duplicator" from SpecialtyPhotographic.com costs $100, while the Hoya filter parts would cost around $35. I'd be willing to pay the latter but not the former for my intentions. Of course your solution would cost $0, which is even better :-).

Dick
rschofield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 29, 2004, 2:56 AM   #4

The UV filter cost me $10 + $2.95 s/h; got it on eBay (new) and have used it since last December. Coated optical glass, looks as good & clear to me as a more expensive filter.
Charlie Howard is offline   Reply With Quote